picturesque towns in southern Sweden

Old December 21st, 2003, 03:01 PM
Casey

Default picturesque towns in southern Sweden

Continuing from my other posts on Copenhagen, I'd like to hear
opinions on what the most picturesque towns in southern Sweden
are. I would guess that Helsingborg, Lund, and Kristianstad are
on that list. Does Malmo really have much to see, architecture-
wise? I am asking this because I want to see Copenhagen and
southern Sweden, and staying in a city in southern Sweden would
be a lot cheaper than staying in Copenhagen. All of the places I
listed above aren't more than one hour by train, and I will add
Helsingør to my list of places to visit. I could stay in Copenhagen
for 2-3 nights and Helsingborg for 2-3 nights, for example. I could
stay in Helsingborg and see Helsingør, Helsingborg, and Lund.
What else?

Casey

Old December 21st, 2003, 04:03 PM
Lennart Petersen

"Casey" skrev i meddelandet
link.net...
Continuing from my other posts on Copenhagen, I'd like to hear
opinions on what the most picturesque towns in southern Sweden
are. I would guess that Helsingborg, Lund, and Kristianstad are
on that list. Does Malmo really have much to see, architecture-
wise? I am asking this because I want to see Copenhagen and
southern Sweden, and staying in a city in southern Sweden would
be a lot cheaper than staying in Copenhagen. All of the places I
listed above aren't more than one hour by train, and I will add
Helsingør to my list of places to visit. I could stay in Copenhagen
for 2-3 nights and Helsingborg for 2-3 nights, for example. I could
stay in Helsingborg and see Helsingør, Helsingborg, and Lund.
What else?
Casey

Halmstad being half-way between Malmö-Gothenburg is a real nice town with
medieval roots. Especially in the summer.
Also Ystad is a medieval town worth a visit.
Indeed you must see Elsinore with the castle Kronborg (think about Hamlet).
Don't think Helsingborg is the best place to stay however, distances in the
area are short and you've frequent transport by train over the bridge and
the Helsingborg-Elsinore ferry.

Old December 21st, 2003, 05:37 PM
Ksu93dlv

With regard to your question about Malmo, no it is not a particularly
picturesque city. My wife and I enjoyed walking around and doing some shopping
there, but it's a very modern city. With all the beautiful cities in Europe to
choose from, there's really no need to bother with Malmo unless you were
already going to be there anyway. Copenhagen is in a completely different
league altogether.
Old December 21st, 2003, 07:05 PM
tim

"Ksu93dlv" wrote in message
With regard to your question about Malmo,

My guidebook agrees.
Recommended towns in Southern Sweden seem to be
Goteborg and Lund (about 20 Km from Malmo)

Old December 21st, 2003, 08:02 PM
Tommy Petersson

"Casey" wrote in
link.net:

Continuing from my other posts on Copenhagen, I'd like to hear
opinions on what the most picturesque towns in southern Sweden
are. I would guess that Helsingborg, Lund, and Kristianstad are
on that list. Does Malmo really have much to see, architecture-
wise? I am asking this because I want to see Copenhagen and
southern Sweden, and staying in a city in southern Sweden would
be a lot cheaper than staying in Copenhagen. All of the places I
listed above aren't more than one hour by train, and I will add
Helsingør to my list of places to visit. I could stay in Copenhagen
for 2-3 nights and Helsingborg for 2-3 nights, for example. I could
stay in Helsingborg and see Helsingør, Helsingborg, and Lund.
What else?

Casey

Malmö has those old houses near "Lilla Torg" and some nice parks, nothing
much more.

Lund is an old town (from 1020) but now it's mostly the University and a
lot of cafés. I don't know if there's much old still to see.

Ystad has to be a better bet, a lot of narrow streets and a nice church is
still left from "old times". "Ale Stenar" is a miniature Stonehenge, sort
of.

Kristianstad is said to be a nice town to stroll around, but I believe
mostly in nice, warm summer weather. I've only been there in military
vehicles...

Helsingborg is a pretty modern city with lots to do, places to eat. Don't
know what's there to watch.

/Tommy P.
Old December 21st, 2003, 08:20 PM
Jeremy Henderson

On 21/12/03 9:02 pm, in article
, "Tommy Petersson"
wrote:

[...]

Ystad has to be a better bet, a lot of narrow streets and a nice church is
still left from "old times". "Ale Stenar" is a miniature Stonehenge, sort
of.

And jumping-off place for Bornholm - one of the weirder parts of Denmark,
and well worth a visit.

J;

Old December 21st, 2003, 09:32 PM
Ksu93dlv

My guidebook agrees.
Recommended towns in Southern Sweden seem to be
Goteborg and Lund (about 20 Km from Malmo)

Lund! That's the name of the town I was trying to think of! Our Swedish friends
gave us a day-long tour of their part of the country and Lund was one of the
places we visited. Still nothing compared to Copenhagen or lots of other
European cities, but quite nice and very much worth the short trip if you're
already in the area.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 04:52 AM
John Bermont

Casey wrote:
Continuing from my other posts on Copenhagen, I'd like to hear
opinions on what the most picturesque towns in southern Sweden
are. I would guess that Helsingborg, Lund, and Kristianstad are
on that list. Does Malmo really have much to see, architecture-
wise? I am asking this because I want to see Copenhagen and
southern Sweden, and staying in a city in southern Sweden would
be a lot cheaper than staying in Copenhagen. All of the places I
listed above aren't more than one hour by train, and I will add
Helsingør to my list of places to visit. I could stay in Copenhagen
for 2-3 nights and Helsingborg for 2-3 nights, for example. I could
stay in Helsingborg and see Helsingør, Helsingborg, and Lund.
What else?

Casey

Casey,

I guess that "picturesque" is in the eye of the beholder. In my eye one
of the most memorable sights was the glass factory at Orrefors. You can
watch the artisans make beautiful tableware from a walkway above the
factory floor, then buy "seconds" in the factory store at 1/4 the retail
price. It's original stuff and make great souvenirs and gifts. There is
also Boda and a dozen other towns between Kalmar and Vaxjo. I stayed in
a B&B/pension over there - very low cost.

If you get up to Stockholm, Uppsala is a worthwhile day trip.

If you have a car, a drive up the Jutland peninsula will be memorable.
North from Arhus it is an idyllic pasture sprinkled all over with mini
villages.

John Bermont
* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Old December 24th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Pernille og Kennet

"Casey" skrev i en meddelelse
link.net...
Continuing from my other posts on Copenhagen, I'd like to hear
opinions on what the most picturesque towns in southern Sweden
are. I would guess that Helsingborg, Lund, and Kristianstad are
on that list. Does Malmo really have much to see, architecture-
wise? I am asking this because I want to see Copenhagen and
southern Sweden, and staying in a city in southern Sweden would
be a lot cheaper than staying in Copenhagen. All of the places I
listed above aren't more than one hour by train, and I will add
Helsingør to my list of places to visit. I could stay in Copenhagen
for 2-3 nights and Helsingborg for 2-3 nights, for example. I could
stay in Helsingborg and see Helsingør, Helsingborg, and Lund.
What else?

If I were you, I would think about going to Jutland instead. There is a lot
of interesting places there. Ribe is very interesting. You can reach it
within 4 hours by train from Copenhagen. It would be more interesting than
the part of Sweden you are visiting. Malmo is just another big city with
many immigrants.

Kennet
Besøg vores rejse- og dyreside på
www.pernille-kennet.dk