how far ahead to book air?

Old April 25th, 2007, 02:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises
hlind

Default how far ahead to book air?

We're cruising from Ft Lauderdale in January 2008. We'll fly in from
Colorado.Is there a typical time frame when airlines have the best
advance fares? There are 5 of us, so I'd sure hate to buy tickets now
and find out in June or July that the fare has gone down by $100 or
so.
Thanks, Helen

Old April 25th, 2007, 06:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises
Mike Hunt

hlind wrote:

We're cruising from Ft Lauderdale in January 2008. We'll fly in from
Colorado.Is there a typical time frame when airlines have the best
advance fares? There are 5 of us, so I'd sure hate to buy tickets now
and find out in June or July that the fare has gone down by $100 or
so.

Fuel prices are expected to rise. Although it is not something I would
bet on, I would consider it. If you find a good fare, take it. There is
a possibility that it could be $100 more later.

Old April 26th, 2007, 01:59 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises
Rog'

"Mike Hunt" postmaster@localhost wrote:
Fuel prices are expected to rise. Although it is not something
I would bet on, I would consider it. If you find a good fare,
take it. There is a possibility that it could be $100 more later.

Even so, waiting for a fare-sale will still likely save you money
over an earlier retail fare. For example:

Southwest Airlines (www.southwest.com) has internet airfares
btw Denver to Ft. Lauderdale for as low as $69-$99 one-way,
mid-week. A R/T in May, for example, can be had for $180.
[I'm almost tempted to book that!] But they are currently not
taking reservations after August 24 (more than 4 months out),
which is instructive. No major airline will feel any pressure to
match Southwest until such time as Southwest is an option...

My 2 cents: When SWA starts accepting reservations for
Denver - Ft. Lauderdale on your fly dates, other airlines' fares
will suddenly become more reasonable across the spectrum.
Its just a theory, of course. =R=

Old April 28th, 2007, 04:51 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises
Ira Jay Scheer

"Rog'" wrote in message
"Mike Hunt" postmaster@localhost wrote:
Fuel prices are expected to rise. Although it is not something
I would bet on, I would consider it. If you find a good fare,
take it. There is a possibility that it could be $100 more later.

Even so, waiting for a fare-sale will still likely save you money
over an earlier retail fare. For example:

Southwest Airlines (www.southwest.com) has internet airfares
btw Denver to Ft. Lauderdale for as low as $69-$99 one-way,
mid-week. A R/T in May, for example, can be had for $180.
[I'm almost tempted to book that!] But they are currently not
taking reservations after August 24 (more than 4 months out),
which is instructive. No major airline will feel any pressure to
match Southwest until such time as Southwest is an option...

Southwest is now open for booking through Nov 2

IJS

Old April 28th, 2007, 05:58 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises
Bill C

Ira Jay Scheer wrote:
"Rog'" wrote in message
"Mike Hunt" postmaster@localhost wrote:
Fuel prices are expected to rise. Although it is not something
I would bet on, I would consider it. If you find a good fare,
take it. There is a possibility that it could be $100 more later.

Even so, waiting for a fare-sale will still likely save you money
over an earlier retail fare. For example:

Southwest Airlines (www.southwest.com) has internet airfares
btw Denver to Ft. Lauderdale for as low as $69-$99 one-way,
mid-week. A R/T in May, for example, can be had for $180.
[I'm almost tempted to book that!] But they are currently not
taking reservations after August 24 (more than 4 months out),
which is instructive. No major airline will feel any pressure to
match Southwest until such time as Southwest is an option...

Southwest is now open for booking through Nov 2

IJS

Rog' post was right on the money. I waited for airfare to open up for
our September cruise. When it opened yesterday the prices were not very
good. $103pp each way before taxes and fees was the cheapest fare from
Philly to Orlando.

I usually find Southwest' fares at about $69pp each way before taxes and
fees.

As luck would have it I checked www.kayak.com and voila.

Airtran had a sale with air for $49pp before taxes each way.

Turns out I got 2 tix on Airtran for what SW wanted. AirTrans prices are
back to normal again today.

Bill

--
Visit my Caribbean Princess website: