Clueless first-timer needs advice about cruises please

Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:08 PM
Juliana L Holm

Default Clueless first-timer needs advice about cruises please

dm wrote:
Younger folks tend to dislike being required to dress up. The trend is to
provide more flexibility so that those who wish to dress up can, and those
that don't want to don't have to.

Many cruise lines are now providing more flexible dining options including
RCCL, NCL, Princess which includes alternate dining options. Some dining
options are more formal, usually at least one casual venue is provided.

I thought RCCL was still the standard dining rooms and buffet (and a premium
venue or two)? When did it go more flexible?

to dress up otherwise it ruins their whole cruise experience. I wouldn't
worry about them, its their problem not yours.

They tend not to obsess on NCL, cannot speak to other cruise lines.

"Lee" wrote in message
om...
Bob Thomas wrote in message

. ..

I haven't yet embarked on my first cruise ... but I must say I find
the "dress" aspect to be the most offputting. My idea of a holiday is
to relax and enjoy myself, and if there are those who are so full of
it that a relaxed person in shorts "cheapens" their experience, then
I'd have to say there is something inherently wrong with that approach
to holidaying.

I think you are kind of misinterpreting things. It has really nothing
to do with snobbery...at all.

There are tons of vacation options available out there that do not
involve dressing up at all. Those folks who choose a cruise vacation
on a mass market (or luxury) cruise line opt for a vacation that does
require (or at least request) a certain degree of dress. There are
cruise vacations out there that do not carry with them a dress code
(Windjammer comes to mind), but for folks who opt for a vacation where
dressing up is part of the experience, your (and other's) disregard
for the expected/requested dress is "offputting".

As you said, your idea of a holiday is to relax and enjoy yourself.
That's great. I think you'll find that most, if not all, cruise
passengers are relaxed and enjoying themselves, even though they take
a little more time to put themselves together before the eveing meal.
Is it really so hard for you to comprehend that some folks actually
ENJOY dressing up a bit while on holiday?

I think the snobbery goes both ways.

Lee

This, to me, is the same as those who treat waiters as some sort of
sub-species, instead of ordinary people doing a valuable job.

Sorry if *this* offends ... but really, snobbishness gets up my nose!

Bob T.

--
Julie
**********
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:40 PM
dm

RCCL, Princess and NCL have their 24 hour buffet that serves dinner and is
typically casual. NCL has additional dining venues.

"Juliana L Holm" wrote in message
dm wrote:
Younger folks tend to dislike being required to dress up. The trend is

provide more flexibility so that those who wish to dress up can, and

those
that don't want to don't have to.

Many cruise lines are now providing more flexible dining options

including
RCCL, NCL, Princess which includes alternate dining options. Some dining
options are more formal, usually at least one casual venue is provided.

I thought RCCL was still the standard dining rooms and buffet (and a

premium
venue or two)? When did it go more flexible?

to dress up otherwise it ruins their whole cruise experience. I wouldn't
worry about them, its their problem not yours.

They tend not to obsess on NCL, cannot speak to other cruise lines.

"Lee" wrote in message
om...

. ..

Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:05 PM
Juliana L Holm

dm wrote:
RCCL, Princess and NCL have their 24 hour buffet that serves dinner and is
typically casual. NCL has additional dining venues.

Don't virtually all major cruise lines provide this? HAL? Celebrity?
Carnival? Disney? Even Cunard?

dm wrote:
Younger folks tend to dislike being required to dress up. The trend is

provide more flexibility so that those who wish to dress up can, and

those
that don't want to don't have to.

Many cruise lines are now providing more flexible dining options

including
RCCL, NCL, Princess which includes alternate dining options. Some dining
options are more formal, usually at least one casual venue is provided.

I thought RCCL was still the standard dining rooms and buffet (and a

premium
venue or two)? When did it go more flexible?

to dress up otherwise it ruins their whole cruise experience. I wouldn't
worry about them, its their problem not yours.

They tend not to obsess on NCL, cannot speak to other cruise lines.

"Lee" wrote in message
om...
. ..

Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:55 PM
Surfer E2468

When you book a cruise,you are told of the dress codes suggested,if you
do not want to adhere to them,either do not cruise,or eat on the lido
deck,the choice is your's but to dress for dinner is just going the
extra mile