Stockholm in december

Old October 22nd, 2004, 11:18 PM
Rag

Default Stockholm in december

I am planning to be in Stockholm, Sweden in the fisrt week of December
for 4 days. The travel book says tempearture will around 30-32 Deg F,
it will be dark and may be snow. Someone who had been to swedden
advised me not go there in December as it will be bitter cold -10 to
-15 degF. Is this correct? Should I cancel the trip? Someone who has
lived in Stockholm please advise. Thank you.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 02:32 AM
Frank F. Matthews

I haven't visited then. Worldweather at

http://www.worldweather.org/096/c00187.htm

gives an average min for December of -3C and an average max of 1C or
pretty steady around freezing. Chilly but not bitter. In addition with
all the water around I doubt that it could get that cold easily.

Perhaps they were thinking of Kiruna.

Old October 23rd, 2004, 02:51 AM
Lennart Petersen

"Frank F. Matthews" skrev i meddelandet
I haven't visited then. Worldweather at

http://www.worldweather.org/096/c00187.htm

gives an average min for December of -3C and an average max of 1C or
pretty steady around freezing. Chilly but not bitter. In addition with
all the water around I doubt that it could get that cold easily.

As I've been there for the last 41 years. Those statistics seem to be
old as the last winters have been considerably warmer. Expect something
around +1C to +6C daytime.
Rarely we have seen snow in December.
No doubt it will be dark with sunrise at 9:00 and set at 15:00 with the
hours between typically gloomy and grey. Not exactly the best time for
outdoor activities but we have plenty of indoor activities incl. typical
X-mas activities.

Old October 23rd, 2004, 06:30 AM
John Bermont

Rag wrote:
I am planning to be in Stockholm, Sweden in the fisrt week of December
for 4 days. The travel book says tempearture will around 30-32 Deg F,
it will be dark and may be snow. Someone who had been to swedden
advised me not go there in December as it will be bitter cold -10 to
-15 degF. Is this correct? Should I cancel the trip? Someone who has
lived in Stockholm please advise. Thank you.

I've traveled there in December. It has short days but I don't recall
any snow. The sky on clear days is like brilliant crystal. Overcast days
can be very gloomy. Dress for cold. Drop into a jazz cafe to warm up.
* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Old October 23rd, 2004, 07:45 AM
Mimi Forsyth

I have lived in Stockholm in January. Yes, it was fiercely cold & light only
9am-2pm (most of the time I went grocery shopping by streetlight). It wasn't
bad, though! I loved seeing the colorfully dressed Lapps walking around the
streets, and there was great camaraderie on the metro. Keeping warm was a great
excuse for opening a bottle of good wine.

www.mimiforsyth.com

Old October 23rd, 2004, 10:52 AM
Hasse K

In ,
Mimi Forsyth wibbled:
I have lived in Stockholm in January. Yes, it was fiercely cold &
light only 9am-2pm (most of the time I went grocery shopping by
streetlight). It wasn't bad, though! I loved seeing the colorfully
dressed Lapps walking around the streets, and there was great
camaraderie on the metro. Keeping warm was a great excuse for opening
a bottle of good wine.

No Lapps in the streets of Stockholm, unless there is a masquerade going on.

How cold is fiercly cold? In January the temperature ususally is
around freezing, but may well dip far lower on some ocassions.

As others have said rarely snow in December, but it is the darkest time of
year.

--
Hasse