digital photos

Old November 15th, 2004, 08:24 PM
___

not really wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 03:55:03 GMT, Andrew Venor
wrote:

Michal Kwiatkowski wrote:

Hi,
does anyone have any experience with copying photos from digital camera
(CF memory card) to CD while traveling across Australia? I just want to
be safe in case I run out of memory on card

JUst by a few 512MB or 1GB SD cards if you camera can support this size.
YOu'll get a few 1000 shots worth should be enough I would have thought

Old November 15th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Peter

In article , ___ says...
JUst by a few 512MB or 1GB SD cards if you camera can support this size.
YOu'll get a few 1000 shots worth should be enough I would have thought

At one point in my weekend I noticed that I had run out of room on my
card. Odd, I thought - there should be room for lots more. So I reviewed
the earlier shots and deleted a few that I had already uploaded to my PC
and kept on shooting. But somehow, no matter how many I deleted, I could
only take one more shot each time. And the camera wasn't showing the
just-taken image each time I pressed the button. It was almost as if I'd
put it into movie mode...

Which, of course, I had. Something had knocked the mode selector and I
was taking enough video footage each time to use up the remaining memory
card.

Old November 15th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Richard

wrote:

Michal Kwiatkowski wrote:

Hi,
does anyone have any experience with copying photos from digital
camera (CF memory card) to CD while traveling across Australia? I
just want to be safe in case I run out of memory on card

JUst by a few 512MB or 1GB SD cards if you camera can support this
size. YOu'll get a few 1000 shots worth should be enough I would have
thought

"A few 512 cards or a 1 Gb card" will *not* give you 'a few 1000 shots' or
anything close.

I get 130 'finest quality' JPG shots out of a 512 card. My Canon G5 had
typically 2.5 - 3.5Mb Jpgs (finest quality), my Canon EOS 20D gives me 5+
Mb for each fine Jpg. And if I choose to shoot both Jpg and RAW, the count
goes down to just 36 pics for a 512 card.

Of course the more pixels your camera has, the larger the saved pic. If you
are using a smaller camera, and saving in not the finest quality, obviously
you increase the number of pics.

I still argue for either a portable harddrive of some sort, or a laptop
computer - although this tends to be bulky and generally not handy for
travelling I think. The portable hard drive fits in your pocket.

Old November 20th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Runge

Buy an X's drive in Australia...reliable and cheap

"Richard" a écrit dans le message de news:
Michal Kwiatkowski wrote in news:cn5h7n$50e$1
@mamut1.aster.pl:

Hi,
does anyone have any experience with copying photos from digital

camera
(CF memory card) to CD while traveling across Australia? I just want

be safe in case I run out of memory on card

Regards,
Michal.

Trouble with this approach is that you have to trust whomever you meet
in your travels to do a good job, or just to have good facilities. Might
not be a problem in large centres, but if you find yourself in some
isolated place, and need to empty your memory cards, you just might have
a problem. Could be the weekend, too, and most places close up around
dinner time. Very possible you could find yourself out of luck.

Also, would you have the opportunity of checking to make sure all of
those shots have truly been copied, no errors, before the memory card is
then reformated? Too risky for me.

Last winter (Feb - March) we went on a two-month trip across Australia.
I decided rather than have someone write on CDs every time, just to
empty my memory card, I would bring along a 'portable hard drive'. I
choose the PicturePad - comes in 20 Gig and 30 Gig, plenty of room for
most people on most trips. I had no trouble dumping my stuff every
evening onto the PicturePad, then starting the next day with fresh empty
memory cards. The PicturePad runs on batteries too, so the outback was
no problem for several days at a time, without an electrical plug in
sight.

Alternatively you could come with 3-4 of the extra large cards, 2 Gig.
These would take quite a while to fill up, plenty of time to get from
one city to the next, perhaps(?).

Anyway, best of luck. If this is your first trip to Australia, I envy
you. We had an extraordinary time. BTW, I was fairly careful not to
'waste shots' as my cards were only 1/2 gig size, and they would be full
at the end of the day. Shot a total of 8.2 Gigabytes of pics in the two
months we were there. I count on shooting at least double that rate on
our next trip.

Richard

Old November 20th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Richard

"Runge" wrote in news:419f1be2$0$8183$8fcfb975
@news.wanadoo.fr:

Buy an X's drive in Australia...reliable and cheap

The X's Drive seems to be based in the UK (least that's the web page I
found). Interesting that it can be bought in Australia. It's similar to the
PicturePad that I use (www.delkin.com) but I have no information about its
reliability. It's considerably cheaper that the PicturePad, which to me
indicates it may not be as reliable. If it's the same as Digibin, then
forget it. I had one of those and gave it back. OTOH it may be a super
product.

There are a number of issues in the portable hard drive market (reliability
being the first issue).

I would urge anyone thinking about buying any storage system to go online
to chat groups (such as
http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_...s.html#storage)
where you'll find out how users like/dislike certain storage systems as
well as a lot more information about each one.

Richard