Barcelona tips?

Old June 8th, 2005, 07:25 PM
jenniferthecanadian

Default Barcelona tips?

My boyfriend and I are are planning a weekend in Barcelona next month
and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things we must see
or do while we're there. It's always great to get advice from people
who know the city.
Thanks for your ideas!
Jennifer

Old June 8th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Padraig Breathnach

"jenniferthecanadian" wrote:

My boyfriend and I are are planning a weekend in Barcelona next month
and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things we must see
or do while we're there. It's always great to get advice from people
who know the city.

You don't give us much idea of what your interests are.

One useful strategy is to take the open-top bus tours (two routes,
both starting at Placa Catalunya) in order to get an overview, and
from that, select the places at which to have a closer look.

The are around the old cathedral is not included on the tours, mainly
because of the narrow streets, but it's worth visiting.

You won't find a weekend long enough!

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old June 8th, 2005, 10:08 PM

The architecture of Gaudi is the city's most distinctive feature, and
you should try to see at least one of his creations. The Sagrada
Familia church is considered by many to be his greatest work.

Las Ramblas is a famous street with sidewalk cafes and street
performers that connects the city center to the port. It's a great
place for people-watching. Be cautioned that pickpocketing is a
problem here and on surrounding streets, so wear a money belt or just
generally watch your wallet and handbag.

The Picasso Museum is well-worth seeing if you have any interest in his
art, and includes many works from his blue and rose periods.

The Barri Gotic is the oldest neighborhood in the city, and includes
preserved historic architecture and the city's beautiful Gothic
cathedral.

Old June 9th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Des Small

Padraig Breathnach writes:

You won't find a weekend long enough!

I did!

Des
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Padraig Breathnach

Des Small wrote:

Padraig Breathnach writes:

You won't find a weekend long enough!

I did!

Did you move very fast?

Old June 9th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Des Small

Padraig Breathnach writes:

Des Small wrote:

Padraig Breathnach writes:

You won't find a weekend long enough!

I did!

Did you move very fast?

The usual speed. I'm not much of a one for architecture, which is a
great time-saver in Barça.

Des
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Padraig Breathnach

Des Small wrote:

Padraig Breathnach writes:

Des Small wrote:

Padraig Breathnach writes:

You won't find a weekend long enough!

I did!

Did you move very fast?

The usual speed. I'm not much of a one for architecture, which is a
great time-saver in Barça.

Fair enough: that explains some of it -- well, it explains a lot of
it.

I suppose that you're not a shoe-fetishist: there seems to be a
remarkably large number of footwear shops there.

But how about the bodegas?

Old June 10th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Des Small

Padraig Breathnach writes:

Des Small wrote:

Padraig Breathnach writes:

Des Small wrote:

Padraig Breathnach writes:

You won't find a weekend long enough!

I did!

Did you move very fast?

The usual speed. I'm not much of a one for architecture, which is a
great time-saver in Barça.

Fair enough: that explains some of it -- well, it explains a lot of
it.

I suppose that you're not a shoe-fetishist: there seems to be a
remarkably large number of footwear shops there.

But how about the bodegas?

Yes, we had no bodegas. But do you not need to excurse for that?

Des
Old June 10th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Padraig Breathnach

Des Small wrote:

Padraig Breathnach writes:

Des Small wrote:

Padraig Breathnach writes:

Des Small wrote:

Padraig Breathnach writes:

You won't find a weekend long enough!

I did!

Did you move very fast?

The usual speed. I'm not much of a one for architecture, which is a
great time-saver in Barça.

Fair enough: that explains some of it -- well, it explains a lot of
it.

I suppose that you're not a shoe-fetishist: there seems to be a
remarkably large number of footwear shops there.

But how about the bodegas?

Yes, we had no bodegas. But do you not need to excurse for that?

So what did you find to do?

Old June 10th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Des Small

Padraig Breathnach writes:

Des Small wrote:

Padraig Breathnach writes:

But how about the bodegas?

Yes, we had no bodegas. But do you not need to excurse for that?

So what did you find to do?

It is a pleasant city for a flâneur; there's the cathedral and the
fiddly lanes round it, and all of Las Ramblas and the astonishing
covered Art Nouveau food market; you have to see at least some of the
Gaudi buildings, and the park is nice, on account of being also a
park, and then there's a bunch of eating and drinking to do. (I
insisted on going to the mad touriste restaurant for roast sucking
pig, and it was the Right Thing to do.)

I liked the Picasso museum, too, because of more than despite the
absence of World Famous Paintings - there's strength and depth in the
Picasso oeuvre and then some.

Des