Places near Swiss border in Italy

Old June 10th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Miss L. Toe

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:10:25 +0100, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:01:18 +0100, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:44:56 GMT, Deep Foiled Malls
wrote:

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 22:06:36 +0200, "tim \(moved to sweden\)"
wrote:

"Deep Foiled Malls"

wrote
in
message ...
On 9 Jun 2005 11:05:36 -0700, "shobhit"

wrote:

Can someone suggest places in Italy near swiss border , that

have
Alpine beauty ?Anything bearing little resemblance would be OK

.

I beleive there are some plaes worth seeing near swiss border
(Brigenze
? ).If anyone who has been to this part or lives there , please
enlighten me about those places and best means to travel.

Where the heck is Brigenze? I've never heard of it!

My guess is a certain place in Austria

I can only think of Brunico, Bressanone, or maybe Bellinzona, none

of
which are in Austria!

I thought of Bregenz in Austria.

Which isn't really a very exciting place (been there 3 times) - apart

from
Festival time:
http://www.bregenzerfestspiele.com/

Lindau is quite nice especially at beer festival time.

Port hopping on the boats around the Bordensee/lake Constance is a fairly
pleasant experience some nice alpine views from the North Shore.

Been there done it. The car ferry to Konstanz from Meersburg in a full
gale is a not to be missed experience.

Or even circling the lake by Air Ship (Zeppelin) from Freidrichafen.

Have you done that?

Nope - I've seen it and made enquires - apparently it costs a fortune and
has to be booked well in advance.

Old June 10th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Miss L. Toe

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:24:06 +0100, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:10:25 +0100, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:01:18 +0100, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Around Euro 300?? I've seen it but didn't think it was worth it.

Where do you stay?

Where did I stay ???

In Friedrichshafen ?
I stayed at
Best Western Hotel Goldenes Rad
Which was a little on the pricy side, but had an excellent breakfast.

Next time I would stay in one of the other towns on the lake.
Friedrichshafen itself is a little modern and full of german tourists, and
no decent german restaurants !!

In Bregenz, I stay with friends nearby.

Old June 10th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Sophie T

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message
news:1118388495.20094ec76d9e60ac816058effc953123@t eranews...
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 00:33:03 -0500, Sophie T wrote:

"Nathalie Chiva" wrote
in
message ...
On 9 Jun 2005 11:05:36 -0700, "shobhit" wrote:

Can someone suggest places in Italy near swiss border , that have
Alpine beauty ?Anything bearing little resemblance would be OK .

I beleive there are some plaes worth seeing near swiss border (Brigenze
? ).If anyone who has been to this part or lives there , please
enlighten me about those places and best means to travel.

Regards
Shobhit

The Gran Paradiso natural park (near Aosta) is beautiful, and great
for trekking. Aosta itself, despite what it looks like when you just
skim its border, is a lovely little town, with Roman ruins and killer
restaurants. I know a few good places (hotels and restaurants) in that
neighborhood, so if you're interested, I'll post them.

Nathalie in Switzerland

I just wanted to say that yes, this area is quite beautiful. I think
it's
hard to find any places that aren't beautiful between Switzerland and
Italy.
:-)

Sophie---married to a Swiss. :-)

Apart from Biasca perhaps. Awful place. The only good thing about it is
the
waterfall on the cliff by the railway station.

Aosta must be pretty good to make it worthwhile getting in there. Outside
it is mile after mile of motorway/power cables and commercial areas.
Despite what other people seem to think, I don't rate the Aosta area nor
the valley as anything special. Until you get past the end of the
motorways
up the St. Bernhard passes, of course.
I think Livigno is not what it could be. The scenery is nice, but it's
spoiled by the god-awful town itself.

--
Tim C.

I don't know Biasca....I'll take your word for it though! :-)
I do really like the drive over the Grand-St-Bernard pass... We usually come
from Switzerland into Italy, so I guess my perspective is from that
direction...didn't notice the power cables and such. But, perhaps I'm just
too easy to please! ;-)

Sophie

Old June 10th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Luca Logi

Tim Challenger wrote:

How in the world did you end in Biasca? It is a very unlikely place for
a tourist...

I was coming from Linz on the motorbike via Chur, aiming for Martigny/Mont
Blanc. It's at the bottom of the Lukmanier pass, and it's where the time
came to stop riding and look for a bed.

Some of the villages along the Lukmanier route are way nicer than
Biasca, even if quite remote. I usually spend some time every year near
Olivone.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Home page:
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Joh

Hallo,

Many of the places mentioned are in the
travelogues of Don and Linda (TheTravelzine),
easily accessible by name from this URL:
http://www.thetravelzine.com/table.htm

Bye,
Joh

Old June 11th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Sophie T

"??" wrote in message ...
Sophie T wrote:

[...]

It was a general statement about how nice I find a lot of these areas. I'm sure there are places not so great too. I didn't expect my comment to really bother anyone....sorry.
Old June 11th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Sophie T

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:33:23 -0500, "Sophie T"
wrote:

It was a general statement about how nice I find a lot of these areas.
I'm sure there are places not so great too. I didn't expect my comment
to really bother anyone....sorry.

It is nice and I am not bothered at all.

Thank you, Martin... :-)
I am glad to know that.

Old June 12th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Philippe Noth

shobhit wrote:
Can someone suggest places in Italy near swiss border , that have
Alpine beauty ?Anything bearing little resemblance would be OK .

My favourite place is Val Ferret. It's an unspoilt valley located where
the Swiss, French and Italian borders meet. Many peaks and glaciers, and
views of the Mont Blanc. The biggest town in that region is Courmayeur.

--
Philippe Noth, Clarens/Montreux, Switzerland
http://www.noth.ch