Malta in November

Old June 11th, 2005, 12:07 AM

Default Malta in November

Hi -

We just committed to spending 2 wks in Nov in Malta. We're going on what is
mostly an air/hotel package, but it includes a few tours and daily
breakfast. We'll be at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. The tours included are
'Three cities', Valletta, Northern Malta, and Rabat. Other than those, our
time is our own. I have questions, of course.

First, what is a decent guidebook for Malta? Has anyone used Insideout City
Guides? I've not heard of them, but their book is the most current (2004),
where the others on Amazon seem 4-5 years old.

Is car rental simple? Are car rentals available near the hotel? Is bicycle
rental available, and if so, is it advisable?

We'll need to eat, too. We're neither gourmets nor particularly big eaters.
We do like our food to taste good and not cause too many heart attacks. Is
the food in Malta anything like Sicilian? I only ask because that seems
logical given the proximity. So, recommendations for decent restaurants
near the hotel are welcome. We will be there for American Thanksgiving, so
we'll probably have one spluge meal if someone can recommend a place worth
splurging on.

What is local transportation like? Are cabs exhorbitant? Is there a bus
system? Shared rides?

Once I find a guidebook my questions will become more specific. For now I'm
doing what I can on the Internet, but haven't really begun piecing things
together.

thanks in advance,
Keith

Old June 11th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Jack Campin - bogus address

First, what is a decent guidebook for Malta?

The official Malta website. It's colossal. (Last time I looked
at it we were still on dialup - no way was I going to get through
it all that way).

You don't mention visiting either the ethnographic museum on Gozo
or the Valletta fortress - don't miss either.

Old June 12th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Mike Azzopardi

Hello

Well I've put together a little guide for you seeing as November won't be
beach time for you, so hopefully you will still have a fantastic time with
all the sights and history instead.

You are best off getting a car rental. Cabs are quite expensive and the bus
system isn't great. All buses go to Valletta lol. I often use the buses, but
thats because I didn't drive when I was over. Oh and when on roundabouts,
they seem to let people ONTO the roundabout!

Some place to go:

Mdina (Rabat)
- St Pauls catacombs, Mdina Dungeons (about £5), walk around the narrow
streets and get a feel for the old capitol. There is a church there too
(well there is a different church for everyday of the year in Malta)
- There is a cafe at the top of Mdina Fort where you get a good view of
Malta.
- Glass blowing in Mdina near the craft village where there are craft shops.

Gozo
- The citadel there is worth seeing. Sea may be rough, that time of year on
the boat
- I beleive The Malta experience is also in Gozo.
- Xghajra, Ggantija Temples (not as good as others) and Windmill, Dwejra
Window in the Rock and Fungus Rock.
- Ta-Pinu church - probably my fave one.

Other temples in Malta are worth a visit like Tarxien (with the stone fat
lady) and there are some very famous ones underground that need booking in
advance - The Hypogeum
http://www.edrichton.com/History/Temples.htm

Captain Morgan Boat tour which goes around Sliema and bugibba and Valletta
and also 3 cities from thr outskirts

There should be a market in the fishing village in Marsaxlokk (probably
sundays) where you can get some maltese lace. You can get this in Valetta
too.

Nightlife to go for drink/clubs (altough I haven't ever been off season)
Bugibba - Very nice and may not be too busy that time of year.
Paceville - busy clubby part of malta.

Mosta Dome in Mosta

Valetta- shopping around, Barakka gardens, view of the harbour (and of 3
cities)
Some shops in Sliema front too. Theres a very nice ice cream shop but not
sure that will be much use in November. Sliema is nice to walk around the
garden/park bit at night

Eat Pastizzi! This is a maltese delicasy. You HAVE to try them (Maltese and
Gozo ones differ). They are small ricotta pastries. Ask about them if you
dont find them.
Other restaurants
Italiani's - Sliema. nice italian
Mosta - Ta' Marija - Traditonal Maltese food. imho a must
Mosta - Goldfinches - Pizza £4 and lovely.

The cafes are going to be very average for touristy food so I recommend
looking for recommendations for places to eat.

Events in November:

115 Requiem (Andrew Lloyd Weber)
18 November 2005 - 19 November 2005

http://visitmalta.com/en/whats_on/se...arch_start=105

I think that covers most things!
I didn't put Comino, blue lagoon and blue grotto, or any of the beaches due
to the time of year.

Best of luck and have a great time! (and remember to eat pastizzi)

Mike
http://www.soundclick.com/bluemenagerie
"We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams"