Electrical questions

Old February 28th, 2006, 06:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Electrical questions

A niece is going to Switzerland, Italy and france in couple of weeks. I
went to the Magellan Store (http://www.magellans.com) to see about
getting an electrical converter/adapter/transformer, etc. for her as
she demands to take a hairdryer as well as a "AA battery" charger" for
her digital camera.

Now Magellans has an "electrical" wizard which is supposed to guide
fools such as myself into what to buy, but it quickly got complicated,
as apparently the "fix" for the hairdryer won't work for the battery
charger, and since a batter charger will be on for more than 30
minutes, at least according to how I read their adviser, I need to
purchase some $267 transformer, which, sorry, ain't gonna happen.

Can anyone with practical experience clear this up for me. If she
leaves the hair dryer behind, I guess that would help....but I am
thinking most European budget/moderate hotels will not provide hair
dryers as is common in the States.

Old February 28th, 2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Most battery chargers do not need a transformer -- only a plug adapter.
Look at the charger and see if it says, 120/240 volts 50/60 Hz (or some
similar variation, e.g. 110/220, etc.). If so, just get a plug adapter and
it will work fine.

As for hair dryers, they usually need transformers, though I've seen dual
voltage hair dryers that will work with only a plug adapter. Also, many
hotels have a 110 volt outlet in the bathroom specifically for hair dryers
(do not plug electronics into it).

If Magellan wants $267 for a power transformer, they are grossly overpriced.
Check out Radio Shack, which is only moderately overpriced, or any travel
store.

Old February 28th, 2006, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Lots of battery chargers are dual voltage. Probably the one she now has is.
Been build that way for at least 10 years. You will need a plug conversion
kit. Allows the USA NEMA plugs to be plugged in to the different European
Receptacles. As to hairdryer and curling irons, there is not a converter
available that will run them that you would want to pack. Have her go to
the local Wal-mart, department store and get a dual voltage hairdryer and
curling iron if she wants one of those also. Will be about $10 for the
hairdryer. Conair makes a lot of dual voltage units.

Old February 28th, 2006, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

thinking most European budget/moderate hotels will not provide hair
dryers as is common in the States.

they do they are called towels!

Old February 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

you can find a hair dryer in Europe for 20$

and a battery charger fr $20

they will event work in the US, because bi-voltage is more common here

why carry all this stuff when you can buy it cheap locally

"Calif Bill" a écrit dans le message de news:
et...

oups.com...

Old February 28th, 2006, 07:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

The converter for the hair dryer will be a diode that converts the 220
vac to half-wave recttified 220 vdc. These are usually light (2-4
ounces), low cost (should be under US$20), and rated at 500-1000 watts
or more.

If the battery charger is not already compatible with European
voltages, you need to get a converter that has a real transformer.
These are usually heavier (8 ounces and up), more expensive (over
US$20), and rated at 30-100 watts. You can also get one from All
Electronics in Van Nuys, California for $5.95+tax+shipping, with more
information available at
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...ONVERTER_.html

If you get both, don't mix them up, or you can damage the converter,
the equipment, or both. Radio Shack also has a "dual-wattage"
converter for $39.99 at
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
but I would consider the danger of damage too great to justify the
savings in weight and space.

Old February 28th, 2006, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

http://kropla.com

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old February 28th, 2006, 09:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"trallala" wrote in message
you can find a hair dryer in Europe for 20$

and a battery charger fr $20

You cannot buy battery chargers specific to, for example, video cameras,
computers or digital still cameras for anything remotely approaching $20.

they will event work in the US, because bi-voltage is more common here

Virtually all portable electronics sold in the US (and everywhere else in
the world) are dual voltage. It is not true that dual voltage is more
common outside the US.

why carry all this stuff when you can buy it cheap locally

Because, (1) you can not buy it cheap locally, (2) you may not even be able
to find it locally, and (3) people don't want to spend their travel time
going from electronics store to electronics store looking for a hard-to-find
accessory.

"Calif Bill" a écrit dans le message de news:
et...

oups.com...

Old February 28th, 2006, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote in message
oups.com...
A niece is going to Switzerland, Italy and france in couple of weeks. I
went to the Magellan Store (http://www.magellans.com) to see about
getting an electrical converter/adapter/transformer, etc. for her as
she demands to take a hairdryer as well as a "AA battery" charger" for
her digital camera.

Both easy and cheap enough to buy when she gets there. Don't bring the
American ones or mess around with expensive transformers.

Marcus

Old February 28th, 2006, 09:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message

"trallala" wrote in message
you can find a hair dryer in Europe for 20$

and a battery charger fr $20

You cannot buy battery chargers specific to, for example, video cameras,
computers or digital still cameras for anything remotely approaching $20.

A charger to charge AA batteries (which is what the OP mentioned) can be
purchased for a less than $20 in Europe.

Marcus