Snakes In and Around Perth?

Old October 29th, 2006, 11:01 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default Snakes In and Around Perth?

What is the snake situation in and around Perth? Here are some
questions:

1. If you go to the beach everyday for a month and spend hours there
will you see any snakes or are snakes uncommon?
2. Is it safe to walk around barefoot in suburban Perth yard?
3. At night is it safe (from snakes) to lay outside on the ground and
watch the stars?

Any information on the snake situation would be appreciated? Please
note I care not about if a snake is poisonous or not.

Old October 29th, 2006, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Julie

The most common snake in Perth is the Trouser Snake. They are rarely seen
in public and the police are usually called.

oups.com...

Old October 30th, 2006, 12:01 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:50:13 GMT, "Julie"
wrote:

The most common snake in Perth is the Trouser Snake. They are rarely seen
in public and the police are usually called.

Thanks Julie - I'd forgotten about that most dangerous and
venomous snake. Aka as the cyclopean snake. Easily
recognised by it's one eye.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Florence
Old October 30th, 2006, 01:24 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate

Snakes are rarely seen on the beach - in fact I've never seen one there.
Snakes are in suburbia - but you very rarely see them there. Snakes are
frightened of humans (we're so much bigger). Most Australians would very
infrequently (if ever) have seen a snake in suburbia.

oups.com...

Old October 30th, 2006, 02:34 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Reece

"A Mate" wrote in news:45455460$0$5107$afc38c87
@news.optusnet.com.au:

Snakes are rarely seen on the beach - in fact I've never seen one there.
Snakes are in suburbia - but you very rarely see them there. Snakes are
frightened of humans (we're so much bigger). Most Australians would very
infrequently (if ever) have seen a snake in suburbia.

I saw one once. In 1972 I believe it was. My dad came out and killed it
with a spade.

R.

Old October 30th, 2006, 03:31 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Landlord

wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the snake situation in and around Perth? Here are some
questions:

1. If you go to the beach everyday for a month and spend hours there
will you see any snakes or are snakes uncommon?
2. Is it safe to walk around barefoot in suburban Perth yard?
3. At night is it safe (from snakes) to lay outside on the ground and
watch the stars?

Any information on the snake situation would be appreciated? Please
note I care not about if a snake is poisonous or not.

One well known WA snake was a Bond. Alan Bond.

Old October 30th, 2006, 03:35 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:31:06 +1100, "LandLord" apub@sydney
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
What is the snake situation in and around Perth? Here are some
questions:

1. If you go to the beach everyday for a month and spend hours there
will you see any snakes or are snakes uncommon?
2. Is it safe to walk around barefoot in suburban Perth yard?
3. At night is it safe (from snakes) to lay outside on the ground and
watch the stars?

Any information on the snake situation would be appreciated? Please
note I care not about if a snake is poisonous or not.

One well known WA snake was a Bond. Alan Bond.

He was stirred, but emerged unshaken.

Unfortunately.

He was also a prick.
Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old October 30th, 2006, 04:05 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ross[_1_]

We have been travelling Australia (retired) for the last 13 years or so.

In that time we have seen no more than a dozen or so snakes of any kind.

They are not so prevalent any where we have been.

The most common snakes we have seen are the Brown Snake and the odd Black
Snake. Mostly we have seen them in NSW and Queensland and we have seen at
least two browns in South Australia. Most common place to see them is in
National Parks. Have been within a few centimetres of snakes at times but
they were just looking to get away. Just watch where you are walking and
don't step on any.

We stayed in a Caravan Park in the southern Flinders Ranges in Sth Aust. We
were sitting outside our caravan at dusk with friends sucking on some of
SA's best product (red wine). A small brown snake slid between my feet but
didn't stop to investigate. People are not their prey.

We never saw any snakes in WA on either of two trips there. (8-10 weeks at a
time) but in 2003 we did meet a couple from Switzerland (in Mount Barker
north of Albany) who were terrified of snakes. I hope we left them more at
ease and more able to enjoy their trip.

I wouldn't worry too much about snakes if I were you. You are more likely
to be bitten by a spider and that is not very common either.

Ross

oups.com...

Old October 30th, 2006, 05:37 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Fred[_3_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the snake situation in and around Perth? Here are some
questions:

1. If you go to the beach everyday for a month and spend hours there
will you see any snakes or are snakes uncommon?
2. Is it safe to walk around barefoot in suburban Perth yard?
3. At night is it safe (from snakes) to lay outside on the ground and
watch the stars?

Any information on the snake situation would be appreciated? Please
note I care not about if a snake is poisonous or not.

Perhaps you should.

Old October 30th, 2006, 11:14 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb

wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the snake situation in and around Perth? Here are some
questions:

1. If you go to the beach everyday for a month and spend hours there
will you see any snakes or are snakes uncommon?

Never seen a snake on a beach. No reason for them to go their, and a pretty
dangerous environment for them.

2. Is it safe to walk around barefoot in suburban Perth yard?

Yes. I wouldn't walk through long grass bare foot, but I wouldn't do that
anyway.

3. At night is it safe (from snakes) to lay outside on the ground and
watch the stars?

Yes.

Any information on the snake situation would be appreciated? Please
note I care not about if a snake is poisonous or not.

Traffic drives on the left. Remember this when crossing roads. Forgetting
this is about 1,000 times as likely to kill you as being eaten by a snake.

I live in suburban Sydney next to a national park; I have only seen two
snakes on my property in 10 years, both in my swimming pool - one dead and
one alive. Your chances of seeing a snake in the suburbs are almost zero.