Snakes In and Around Perth?

Old October 31st, 2006, 01:19 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

Default Snakes In and Around Perth?

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:14:21 +1100, "Peter Webb"
wrote:

I live in suburban Sydney next to a national park; I have only seen two
snakes on my property in 10 years, both in my swimming pool - one dead and
one alive. Your chances of seeing a snake in the suburbs are almost zero.

I live in Pottsville, in a district of canefields, home to
Taipans, Black Snakes and King Browns. The tidal creeks have
both red-bellied and yellow-bellied black snakes. Despite
that, in over six years living here I've seen one dangerous
snake - a king brown. Although I've seen a few disappear
overhead in the talons of various Eagles, Kites and Ospreys.

Walking barefoot in my backyard is more likely to be
dangerous for burrs and bindy-I's, or ants.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Tuscany, Radicofani, Lake Bolsen
Old October 31st, 2006, 09:50 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Gerrit 't Hart

wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the snake situation in and around Perth? Here are some
questions:

1. If you go to the beach everyday for a month and spend hours there
will you see any snakes or are snakes uncommon?
2. Is it safe to walk around barefoot in suburban Perth yard?
3. At night is it safe (from snakes) to lay outside on the ground and
watch the stars?

Any information on the snake situation would be appreciated? Please
note I care not about if a snake is poisonous or not.

1 I have lived in the Perth area for well over 40 years and have only once
seen a snake in suburbia. (In the long grass at the front of my house before
the lawns and gardens had been put in - it was an 18 inches long harmless
grass python)
Never have I even heard about a snake on the beach. There are some notices
on the fenced off areas of dunes just behind the beach that there could be
snakes there. I reckon that these signs are only there to scare people so
that they do not damage the fragile vegetation on the dunes.
2 You will have more chance to cut your foot on glass in a typical Perth
backyard than to see a snake, let alone to be bitten by one.
3 I used to sleep on the grass during heat waves before we had an
airconditioner.

Gerrit

Old October 31st, 2006, 07:15 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
www.poms.co.uk

wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the snake situation in and around Perth? Here are some
questions:

1. If you go to the beach everyday for a month and spend hours there
will you see any snakes or are snakes uncommon?
2. Is it safe to walk around barefoot in suburban Perth yard?
3. At night is it safe (from snakes) to lay outside on the ground and
watch the stars?

Any information on the snake situation would be appreciated? Please
note I care not about if a snake is poisonous or not.

No No No

--

www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php
Australia, New Zealand, USA, German, UK, South Africa, Thailand, Brazil Sim

Old November 1st, 2006, 01:18 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ross[_1_]

I think you mean an Eastern Brown.

A King Brown is a desert dweller and you are more likely to see them around
Alice and the NT.

Another name for them is Mulga Snake. Big buggers they are, too.

Oddly enough, the King Brown is a member of the Black Snake family.

Ross

Old November 1st, 2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 11:18:05 +1000, "Ross"
wrote:

I think you mean an Eastern Brown.

A King Brown is a desert dweller and you are more likely to see them around
Alice and the NT.

Another name for them is Mulga Snake. Big buggers they are, too.

Oddly enough, the King Brown is a member of the Black Snake family.

Ross

You may be right - I'm not an expert. Came from the creek
(see my blog), was about 2 to 2.5m long, darkish golden
brown on top, lighter on the bottom, sleek and shiny. And
very active crossing the road until a 4wd halted it's
progress and it's life.

Which I was quite relieved to see. Yeah, I know, I should
have caught it and released it in the wild. Sounds
marvellous when you're in a loungeroom watching TV; a bit
different when you're barefoot and you're not Steve Irwin
and the thing is heading for you at a rate of knots.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/20...ottsville.html
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:11 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
H.B. Lasseter

I agree with Ross' general tenor - they are not common nor are they to put
off your holiday, but they are to be respected. And they are not TOO
uncommon. I saw a tiger and a black BMF (adder?) on one day in Cap Le
Grande NP, the latter slithering across the road. The former was nicely
coiled on Frenchman's Peak and was forewarned to me - I approached, got my
pictures, and got out of there with him (her?) nary twitching a muscle.

Therein lies the lesson. Don't go to the dunny without your shoes, don't
pick up hollow logs from the inside, and if you DO spy one, don't look like
dinner. Just stop and back off and you'll be right. The old saw about
their being as afraid of you and all that kak is a bromide for a reason:
it's generally true.

"Ross" wrote in message
We have been travelling Australia (retired) for the last 13 years or so.

In that time we have seen no more than a dozen or so snakes of any kind.

They are not so prevalent any where we have been.

The most common snakes we have seen are the Brown Snake and the odd Black
Snake. Mostly we have seen them in NSW and Queensland and we have seen at
least two browns in South Australia. Most common place to see them is in
National Parks. Have been within a few centimetres of snakes at times but
they were just looking to get away. Just watch where you are walking and
don't step on any.

We stayed in a Caravan Park in the southern Flinders Ranges in Sth Aust.
We were sitting outside our caravan at dusk with friends sucking on some
of SA's best product (red wine). A small brown snake slid between my feet
but didn't stop to investigate. People are not their prey.

We never saw any snakes in WA on either of two trips there. (8-10 weeks at
a time) but in 2003 we did meet a couple from Switzerland (in Mount Barker
north of Albany) who were terrified of snakes. I hope we left them more
at ease and more able to enjoy their trip.

I wouldn't worry too much about snakes if I were you. You are more likely
to be bitten by a spider and that is not very common either.

Ross

Old November 5th, 2006, 12:15 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
H.B. Lasseter

All in all - my 0.00 (0.02 but rounded down at the cash)? If you're
worried about crossing the street, be worried about snakes. Otherwise,
treat it the same as crossing the street: with reasonable precautions and
an IQ above 50, you'll be right.

Old November 5th, 2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 00:11:58 GMT, "H.B. Lasseter"
wrote:

I agree with Ross' general tenor - they are not common nor are they to put
off your holiday, but they are to be respected. And they are not TOO
uncommon. I saw a tiger and a black BMF (adder?) on one day in Cap Le
Grande NP, the latter slithering across the road. The former was nicely
coiled on Frenchman's Peak and was forewarned to me - I approached, got my
pictures, and got out of there with him (her?) nary twitching a muscle.

Therein lies the lesson. Don't go to the dunny without your shoes, don't
pick up hollow logs from the inside, and if you DO spy one, don't look like
dinner. Just stop and back off and you'll be right. The old saw about
their being as afraid of you and all that kak is a bromide for a reason:
it's generally true.

Author forgotten, someone will know:

Redback on the Toilet Seat

There was a redback on the toilet seat
When I was there last night
I didn't see him in the dark
But boy, I felt his bite,
I jumped high up into the air
And when I hit the ground
That crafty redback spider
Wasn't nowhere to be found

I rushed in to the missus
Told her just where I'd been bit
She grabbed the cut-throat razor blade
And I nearly took a fit,
I said, "Forget what's on you mind
And call the doctor please
Cause I've got a feeling that your cure
Is worse than the disease"

There was a redback on the toilet seat
When I was there last night
I didn't see him in the dark
But boy I felt his bite
And now I'm here in hospital
A sad and sorry plight
And I curse that redback spider
On the toilet seat last night

I can't lie down, I can't sit up
I don't know what to do
The nurses think it's funny
That's not my point of view
I tell you it's embarrassing
And that's to say the least
Cause I'm too sick to eat a bite
While the spider had a feast
Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: The Vatican
Old November 5th, 2006, 04:02 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

wrote:

I think you mean an Eastern Brown.

A King Brown is a desert dweller and you are more likely to see them around
Alice and the NT.

Another name for them is Mulga Snake. Big buggers they are, too.

Oddly enough, the King Brown is a member of the Black Snake family.

Ross

You may be right - I'm not an expert. Came from the creek
(see my blog), was about 2 to 2.5m long, darkish golden
brown on top, lighter on the bottom, sleek and shiny. And
very active crossing the road until a 4wd halted it's
progress and it's life.

Awwww !

Now you should'nt have mentioned that about the 4WD. Now that dickhead
Scruby fella may have another go about how dangerous 4WD are !

Old November 5th, 2006, 04:09 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

wrote:

I agree with Ross' general tenor - they are not common nor are they to put
off your holiday, but they are to be respected. And they are not TOO
uncommon. I saw a tiger and a black BMF (adder?) on one day in Cap Le
Grande NP, the latter slithering across the road. The former was nicely
coiled on Frenchman's Peak and was forewarned to me - I approached, got my
pictures, and got out of there with him (her?) nary twitching a muscle.

Therein lies the lesson. Don't go to the dunny without your shoes, don't
pick up hollow logs from the inside, and if you DO spy one, don't look like
dinner. Just stop and back off and you'll be right. The old saw about
their being as afraid of you and all that kak is a bromide for a reason:
it's generally true.

I might agree with you about most snakes, but I'd be very wary of the
Tiger snakes...... They "Can" be VERY agressive, and have been known
to play chasey with you !!