Booking tours thought cruise line vs. DIY

Old July 17th, 2006, 05:00 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Booking tours thought cruise line vs. DIY

My husband and I have had a bad experience booking a tour thought our
cruise line. We went on a shopping trip, were driven over bad roads for
1 1/2 hours, dropped off at a big tourist store and left in that area
for 3 hours. There were very few places open beside the big store and
an open market where everyone drove you nuts to buy stuff. The trip was
expensive and a total rip off.

We will be cruising Thanksgiving week 2006 . This time we have
researched our destination to Calica (Playa Del Carmen) and Cancun. We
know we want to go the Tulum, Xel-ha or Isla Mujeres. We have seen
people with signs offering to take you to various points of interest as
we left the dock area. We would like to save some money as we have 5
people going. Can anyone advise us about using these local vans, cabs
to go to these places? Is it less expensive this way? What about
entrance to the parks? Some of the trips are $110 per person if you
book through the cruise line. The trip to Tulum through the cruise line
is $65 each.

We will greatly appreciate your knowledge in this matter.

Walter & Faye Nettles

Old July 17th, 2006, 10:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
SaveOnTropics

I would not recommend contracting with anyone holding up a sign when you
get off the ship. You never know what you may get. These people are
likely not insured, not reliable, etc. Instead, try finding the tours you
want online and booking there before you go. There are lots of sites out
there offering great tours to Tulum, Xel Ha, Xcaret, etc. As for taxis
... again, you have to use some caution. Private transfers are available
but expensive. You can also find discount tours, admissions, etc. on a
few different sites. Here is one I'd recommend ...
http://www.entertainment-plus.net/index.cfm?aff=wh_a. If you have any
other questions, please feel free to email me.