Anybody know what Chankanaab is like lately?

Old February 24th, 2007, 12:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Anybody know what Chankanaab is like lately?

Is it still not fully operational after the storms?

I see some comments from late last year that it still needs repair.

http://tinyurl.com/2632l6

Thanks!

I love rec.travel.cruises!

Mike

Old February 24th, 2007, 01:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RICK DAVIS

In some ways the Park is better than before. In other ways its sad to
see a very badly scared park. This would probably only be noticed by
someone who has been to the park a number of times and knew it well.
There have been some noticeable upgrades such as a new entrance, beach
chairs, dolphin pavilion. There is also alot of cleanup work to be
done. For example the museum is gone but the tile floor and steps are
still there. The vegetation is coming back and so it the coral but that
will take years to get back to where it was. They still have the same
great beach waiters (food & drink service) that were there before. The
entrance fee is now $20 if I recall correctly. I still enjoyed my day
there very much.

Old February 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dave[_17_]

We had been to Chankanaab 3 times before and visited again on a cruise
February 14, 2007. We also agree that the park is well on its way to
recovery. There were lots of fish. The entrance area is newly
landscaped. There is an exhibit to the left showing before and after
photos of the damage. The beach area, bath rooms, changing facilities
and food service areas are all in great shape and kept very clean.
(Remember to use the foot shower/fountain before tracking sand into
the restrooms or the lady at the entrance will politely remind you!)
The sea lion show isn't open yet. The dolphin area is newly rebuilt.
There was a children's pool/play area we had't noticed before or it
was new. The garden paths and statuary are restored and have been
renovated and planted. There were lots of butterflys. The Mayan hut
was still there and the Mayan lady made tortilliasfor us. The whole
park is cleaned up but some structures do need to be rebuilt, They
used a lot of the broken limbs, etc. to make a barrier fence around
the back and outside which will eventually be covered with vines,
etc.
The fee per person was US $16 for entry, $25 if you wanted to include
snorkle, mask, locker and free drink. Cab fare from the cruise ship
landing or pier was $10 per taxi. We shared a cab with an older couple
and made new friends for the day. The current seemed to be stronger
than when we were there before. Not enough to be dangerous but if
your'e not prepared it could take you farther out than you want to
go. We have our own snorkle vests and were glad to have them. It was
flowing from left to right as you faced the ocean so we went in at the
far end and drifted to the dolphin end and got out. The beach to reef
access areas have new handrails and better steps. Cozumel is one of
our favorite ports and this park is always one of the highlights!