Can we ship our bags ahead?

Old February 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
madx

Default Can we ship our bags ahead?

We want to travel on land (lightly) the week before a meditarranean cruise.
Is there a way to ship our cruise baggage ahead of time and be held in
departure port?

Old February 20th, 2007, 07:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
AZ Nomad

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:55:59 -0800, madx wrote:

We want to travel on land (lightly) the week before a meditarranean cruise.
Is there a way to ship our cruise baggage ahead of time and be held in
departure port?

Put them in a box. Drop off at a shipper.
Keep in mind that shippers is a group that includes all the major airlines.
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:01:44 GMT, AZ Nomad
wrote:

Put them in a box. Drop off at a shipper.
Keep in mind that shippers is a group that includes all the major airlines.

Hi Everyone,

I do not recommend that you do the above. At most ports they do not
have anyone to accept these types of containers unless special
arrangements have been made ahead of time. There are specialized
companies that will pick up your luggage at your door and deliver them
to the ship. Please keep in mind that this is not an inexpensive
option. I saw a company touting the fact that they had very few
glitches. Of course, for the $350 per bag charge, I would hope
not. vbg

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Proveniebam

--

www.cruiseshippers.com

e.g. New York to England
0-30lbs $236 per bag
31-50lbs $311 per bag
51-70lbs $396 per bag
25-50lbs $311 per golf bag.

At that sort of prices I'd seriously consider hiring a student :-)

Old February 20th, 2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
madx

Would fed ex or ups take it for pick up at their local office? Or could it
be shipped to a hotel to be held for arrival?

$236 for 30 lbs is very steep.

ups.com...

Old February 20th, 2007, 08:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 12:10:58 -0800, "madx"
wrote:

Would fed ex or ups take it for pick up at their local office? Or could it
be shipped to a hotel to be held for arrival?

Hi,

I believe FedX and UPS will hold at their office for a pickup but for
a limited number of days. They will not hold for for a very long
period. Some hotels would offer this service if arrangements are made
in advance. Of course, the security of your items might be something
to consider.

Old February 20th, 2007, 08:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Feb 20, 3:10 pm, "madx" wrote:
Would fed ex or ups take it for pick up at their local office? Or could it
be shipped to a hotel to be held for arrival?

$236 for 30 lbs is very steep.

How much do you think FedEx and UPS is gonna cost? Probably at least
as much, if not more. You can go to their websites and price it out -
all they need is destination country, weight, dimensions..

Lee

Old February 20th, 2007, 08:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Feb 20, 3:30 pm, "LeeNY" wrote:
Would fed ex or ups take it for pick up at their local office? Or could it
be shipped to a hotel to be held for arrival?

$236 for 30 lbs is very steep.

How much do you think FedEx and UPS is gonna cost? Probably at least
as much, if not more. You can go to their websites and price it out -
all they need is destination country, weight, dimensions..

For me one suitcase was over $400 by fedex ...
containing probably $399 worth of clothes ...

Old February 20th, 2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

AZ Nomad wrote:

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:55:59 -0800, madx wrote:

We want to travel on land (lightly) the week before a meditarranean cruise.
Is there a way to ship our cruise baggage ahead of time and be held in
departure port?

Seabourn Cruise lines uses DHL Worldwide Express to do this very thing
for their customers. There are other shipping services as has been
mentioned.

The problem for a non-Seabourn cruise seems to be that there will be
no-one there to receive the luggage. Most of the time if I have to
ship something, I ship it to myself at a hotel (or in the good old
days at an AmExp or Thos Cook office of the like) with instructions to
hold until the date that I expected to be there.

If you have someone at home (child, parent, business partner etc) who
can do it, you could have them ship the baggage directly to the ship
for you so that the lag time between when it would get there and the
time when you could board would be less. Of course there is always
the possibility that it won't get there in time.

If you are staying in a hotel the first day and last day of travel
before you get on the ship, you might see if that hotel has luggage
storage where you could leave the bags. Some hotels in central
America will do this for you. They may also have a safe where you
could put valuables.

There's a company named Blue Marble travel,
http://www.bluemarble.org/ITA.html#AirportLuggagePkUp

which is primarily for bikers in Europe, but they have storage in
Paris for luggage. I do not know anything about these people except
what their website says - which is:

!
!European Luggage Shipment, European Cycle Shipment
!
!Under some circumstances, we can ship luggage and / or bikes within
Europe. This is always an expensive service, but it may be less
expensive than, say, traveling from Florence to Paris to pick up your
baggage at the end of your European holiday.... Ask for a quote if
interested. Parameters that influence cost include:
!
! * Urgency. The longer you give us to ship the piece, the lower
the cost of doing so.
! * Delivery conditions. The service is more expensive if we have
to hand the bag to you, in person, at a precise time, than if we have
a place to deliver it to during a less-precise time band (for
instance, “to thus-and-such hotel any time on Tuesday or Wednesday”).
! * Size and weight.
! * Distance of the shipment.
! * Season. Shipments are typically less expensive between May and
October than otherwise, as our volumes are higher, and we can pass
along lower bulk rates.
!
!Additionally, shipping costs are generally lower if Paris is a start
or end point of the shipment, and / or if the origin / destination is
in the immediate vicinity of a railway station.
!
!Paris Airport or Rail Station Pick-up and Delivery, of Luggage or
Cycles
!
!If you would like your cycle or luggage transferred between an
airport or rail station and our office or another central Paris
location (hotel, rail station...), we can do so.
!
!Inbound, we will meet your flight or train, take it off your hands
as you come through customs or off the train, and deliver it to the
Paris location of your choice.
!
!Outbound, we make the Paris pick-up you request, and deliver to your
transport hub at the time you request.
!
!Service is by reservation only, and subject to availability at the
time of the reservation.
!
!Cost for the first bike or piece of luggage is as follows
!
! * From or to either “major” Paris airport (Orly or Charles de
Gaulle), or international suburban rail station (Massy-Palaiseau or
Chessy / Marne-la-Vallée / Disneyland): 80 €.
! * From Beauvais airport: 110 €.
! * From central Paris rail stations (Austerlitz, Montparnasse,
St.-Lazare, Nord, Est, Lyon or Bercy): 50 €.
!
!Additional pieces transferred at the same time are charged as
follows:
! * 20 € per additional piece of luggage up to four.
! * 10 € per piece of luggage beyond four.
!
!Storage in Paris - Prices
!
!Luggage storage prices, per piece of “normal” weight and dimension,
are below. Whichever rate is more advantageous to you will
automatically apply.
! * Short term: 3 € per piece / day (less than 11 days).

HTH