travel topic!

Old August 31st, 2010, 06:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default travel topic!

Haven't seen anything much on travel lately, so I thought I'd offer
something to sink teeth into 8-)

I've mentioned this before, but my plans have solidified since and
thought I'd ask something related.
On my way to Orkney at the beginning of May, since I go via Aberdeen, I
scheduled a day there for a castle hunt, which some offered me some help
on last time around. Because my plane for Kirkwall won't be leaving
until rather late next day, what's a good idea for Sunday morning/early
afternoon, starting and ending in Aberdeen Dyce?

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist
Old August 31st, 2010, 08:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Erilar" wrote in message
Haven't seen anything much on travel lately, so I thought I'd offer
something to sink teeth into 8-)

I've mentioned this before, but my plans have solidified since and
thought I'd ask something related.
On my way to Orkney at the beginning of May, since I go via Aberdeen, I
scheduled a day there for a castle hunt, which some offered me some help
on last time around. Because my plane for Kirkwall won't be leaving
until rather late next day, what's a good idea for Sunday morning/early
afternoon, starting and ending in Aberdeen Dyce?

Do you mean at an "airport" hotel, or at the village the other side of the
runway.

It seems that the local town buses to the airport don't run on Sundays and
the only option is the hourly bus from Inverness, first departure to
Aberdeen at 11:35.

tim

Old August 31st, 2010, 08:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"tim...." wrote in message

"Erilar" wrote in message
Haven't seen anything much on travel lately, so I thought I'd offer
something to sink teeth into 8-)

I've mentioned this before, but my plans have solidified since and
thought I'd ask something related.
On my way to Orkney at the beginning of May, since I go via Aberdeen, I
scheduled a day there for a castle hunt, which some offered me some help
on last time around. Because my plane for Kirkwall won't be leaving
until rather late next day, what's a good idea for Sunday morning/early
afternoon, starting and ending in Aberdeen Dyce?

Do you mean at an "airport" hotel, or at the village the other side of the
runway.

It seems that the local town buses to the airport don't run on Sundays and
the only option is the hourly bus from Inverness, first departure to
Aberdeen at 11:35.

OK ignore that. It seems that there is a new express bus starting at 07:15

http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/publ...?ServiceID=255

Though whether it will still be around next year is anybody's guess

tim

Old August 31st, 2010, 10:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

"tim...." wrote:
"Erilar" wrote in message
[...]

Menzies Dyce hotel

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Erilar wrote:

"tim...." wrote:
"Erilar" wrote in message

-
september.org...
[...]

Enjoy the trip. Though I've been to Aberdeen a few times for
performances etc., the only time I ever stayed there overnight was in a
B&B at British Airway's expense. The flight to Kirkwall couldn't land
due to fog- the pilot made several attempts.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 8/31/2010 1:50 PM, Erilar wrote:
Haven't seen anything much on travel lately, so I thought I'd offer
something to sink teeth into 8-)

I've mentioned this before, but my plans have solidified since and
thought I'd ask something related.
On my way to Orkney at the beginning of May, since I go via Aberdeen, I
scheduled a day there for a castle hunt, which some offered me some help
on last time around. Because my plane for Kirkwall won't be leaving
until rather late next day, what's a good idea for Sunday morning/early
afternoon, starting and ending in Aberdeen Dyce?

I asked an Aberdonian I know, and he had a number of ideas -
unfortunately, many of them are easier with a car...and I seem to
remember you don't like the idea of driving on the other side of the
road? Anyway - here are his suggestions - even if you don't find them
useful, someone else may.

"We're certainly not the richest place for grand castles, but there are
a few gems around.

"Transport is probably a necessity, but from that side of town my first
choice would be Fyvie.

http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/51/

"Some interesting artwork - and the obligatory ghost.

"Otherwise Crathes - the grounds are a favourite of ours for a walk,
without even visiting the castle.

http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/20/

"or Drum

http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/24/

"Those last two are within easy reach of each other and it would be
quite possible to do them both in the same day.

"For Royalists Balmoral is a possibility - a bit further away.

http://www.balmoralcastle.com/

"I haven't been for many years, and can't remember a great deal about
it. An added disadvantage for me is that it isn't a National Trust
property - so I would have to pay to get in!

"On that- for going to Orkney it is pretty essential to join Historic
Scotland, as most of the main attractions there are managed by HS.

"Unfortunately the North-East is better served by the National Trust
(we are members of both)

"However depending on the person's sense of history I think everyone
should visit Arbroath Abbey, which is an HS property.

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/places/propertyresults/propertyoverview.htm?PropID=PL_013&PropName=Arbroa th%20Abbey

'May it please you to admonish and exhort the King of the English, who
ought to be satisfied with what belongs to him since England used once
to be enough for seven kings or more, to leave us Scots in peace, who
live in this poor little Scotland, beyond which there is no
dwelling-place at all, and covet nothing but our own.'

"That's a start- concentrating especially on castles. Public transport
is a pain though - most of these would need a car."

Old September 1st, 2010, 06:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 124

Fascinating horne and his private adventures

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" a écrit dans le
message de groupe de discussion :
Erilar wrote:

"tim...." wrote:
"Erilar" wrote in message

-
september.org...

Old September 1st, 2010, 06:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Zulus Vulva

On Sep 1, 7:16*am, "Runge 124" wrote:
Fascinating horne and his private adventures

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" a écrit dans le
message de groupe de discussion :

Erilar wrote:

"tim...." wrote:
"Erilar" wrote in message

-
september.org...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...el-better.html
Old September 1st, 2010, 07:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
[...]

Unless she is going back to Scotland later just paying per entry is going to
be cheaper, no-one is going to get 40 pounds value from a few day

tim

Old September 1st, 2010, 07:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 124

Default michaelnewport the vulva you wouldn't like

"Zulus Vulva" a écrit dans le message de groupe
de discussion :
On Sep 1, 7:16 am, "Runge 124" wrote:
Fascinating horne and his private adventures

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" a écrit dans le
message de groupe de discussion :

Erilar wrote:

"tim...." wrote:
"Erilar" wrote in message