Best way to get from Athens airport to a hotel in the Plaka?

Old March 29th, 2009, 02:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Best way to get from Athens airport to a hotel in the Plaka?

We're going to Athens in the beginning of June. Our hotel is about 3
blocks from the "Acropolis" Metro stop. Does it make more sense to
grab a taxi from airport to hotel, or is it worth just hopping on the
Metro and riding it in? Thanks in advance.
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

wrote in message
We're going to Athens in the beginning of June. Our hotel is about 3
blocks from the "Acropolis" Metro stop. Does it make more sense to
grab a taxi from airport to hotel, or is it worth just hopping on the
Metro and riding it in? Thanks in advance.

I can't help you with the taxi but IME the metro from the airport is the
most useless that I have even encountered.

It only goes every 30 minutes, so if you are there just before it leaves,
that's great, but if you miss it by 2 minutes you've got a ridiculously long
wait for a "metro" system. IIRC it goes at XX:00 and XX:30 but I could have
remembered wrongly!

There are trains on the suburban line every 15 minutes to Neratziotissa,
where you can change onto the "green" line, but by the time you have made
this transfer and then travelled on the excruciatingly slow green line you
don't get there any quicker than waiting for the next "blue" line metro.
The green line might be better if the station that you want is actually on
that line, but yours isn't.

Outside of Athens, taxis are quite cheap and affordable, but I've no idea
about Athens, or the actual distance involved.

Oh and there's a premium fare from the airport station - 6 Euro instead of
80 cents for all other trips.

tim

Old March 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl[_4_]

"tim....." wrote in message

wrote in message
We're going to Athens in the beginning of June. Our hotel is about 3
blocks from the "Acropolis" Metro stop. Does it make more sense to
grab a taxi from airport to hotel, or is it worth just hopping on the
Metro and riding it in? Thanks in advance.

I can't help you with the taxi but IME the metro from the airport is the
most useless that I have even encountered.

Take the bus - X95 I think - that says Syntagma Square. The cost of the
ticket at the end of 2006 was 2.90 euros and it took about 45 minutes.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore