Trip report

Old May 31st, 2012, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
gtr

Default Trip report

On 2012-05-31 19:11:23 +0000, Erick T. Barkhuis said:

Runge 666:

"tim....":
Are there enough people here to bother posting my report?

If it's such a bother to give one click, then don't bother.

For once, if have to agree with Runge, Tim.
Just post the report if you like to publish it, don't have us beg for
it first.

It's the "blogger's angst". You want to share info, but you want
someone to acknowledge the sharement. In the end you have to live with
the fact that it may be true: Maybe no one does give a **** what you
have to say. Or what you have to say *today*. So saying it for your
"dear diary" or posting it in an universally accesible and universally
ignored blog or usenet post--it's all the same thing.

Honestly, once you arrive at the conclusion that they are all like a
message in a bottle, and one that may never wash out further than
you're swimming pool, you acclimate. It can be freeing in a way.

I've come to think of my various blogs as the virtual equivalent of a
shoebox of thoughts, memories, momentos, creative writing, songs, etc.
It is then place in the bottom of the closet and boxes are stacked on
top of it, the closet is closed, locked and the house abandoned.

It's like my three-bean salad story. Which I will post later, to
undoubtedly zero audience. I assume.

Old June 1st, 2012, 10:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Erick T. Barkhuis" wrote in message
Runge 666:

"tim....":
Are there enough people here to bother posting my report?

If it's such a bother to give one click, then don't bother.

For once, if have to agree with Runge, Tim.
Just post the report if you like to publish it, don't have us beg for
it first.

It isn't "just one click"

It's the four hours it will take me to type it up.

I don't type it for my own sake, I do it if I have somewhere to post that
others will read it and find useful/interesting.

I'm not asking you to beg, I just need an idea how many people are still
here

tim

Old June 1st, 2012, 10:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

On 2012-05-31 19:11:23 +0000, Erick T. Barkhuis said:

Runge 666:

"tim....":
Are there enough people here to bother posting my report?

If it's such a bother to give one click, then don't bother.

For once, if have to agree with Runge, Tim.
Just post the report if you like to publish it, don't have us beg for
it first.

It's the "blogger's angst".

Though bogging is a "long" game. You may start off with only a few
followers, but your aim is to gather more and more as you post more and
more.

Posting a report on here is a one-off, that (experience tells us) almost
no-one will read from the archives later.

tim

Old June 1st, 2012, 11:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_3_]

tim....:

"Erick T. Barkhuis" wrote in message
Runge 666:

"tim....":
Are there enough people here to bother posting my report?

If it's such a bother to give one click, then don't bother.

For once, if have to agree with Runge, Tim.
Just post the report if you like to publish it, don't have us beg
for it first.

It isn't "just one click"
It's the four hours it will take me to type it up.

Ah, OK, my bad.
Somehow, I understood that you already have the report ready.

--
Erick
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

"tim...." wrote:
"Erick T. Barkhuis" wrote in message
Runge 666:

"tim....":
Are there enough people here to bother posting my report?

If it's such a bother to give one click, then don't bother.

For once, if have to agree with Runge, Tim.
Just post the report if you like to publish it, don't have us beg for
it first.

It isn't "just one click"

It's the four hours it will take me to type it up.

I don't type it for my own sake, I do it if I have somewhere to post that
others will read it and find useful/interesting.

I'm not asking you to beg, I just need an idea how many people are still
here

I keep a running trip diary along the way, and now that I travel with iPad,
it gets typed along the way as well. Because I put each trip into an album
with that interspersed between hundreds of fotos, it takes me a week or two
while I'm also doing spring chores. THEN I start think about writing the
web page, which is a distillation with only a few fotos.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old June 1st, 2012, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_2_]

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 10:41:55 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

"Erick T. Barkhuis" wrote in message
Runge 666:

"tim....":
Are there enough people here to bother posting my report?

If it's such a bother to give one click, then don't bother.

For once, if have to agree with Runge, Tim.
Just post the report if you like to publish it, don't have us beg for
it first.

It isn't "just one click"

It's the four hours it will take me to type it up.

I don't type it for my own sake, I do it if I have somewhere to post that
others will read it and find useful/interesting.

I'm not asking you to beg, I just need an idea how many people are still
here

Bear in mind that the number of us here is not the same as the number
of us that will read it. For one thing, I don't think you've told us
where your trip was. If it's a place I have no interest in, I might
not read it.

And whether I might read it also has to do with its length. If it's
very long (four hours of typing makes it sound very long), I probably
wouldn't, unless it looks really terrific. Other factors are how well
you write, and what are the things you write about in the place. And
if you write about a place that I know, and I start reading it and
find that I disagree with most of your opinions about it, I'd probably
stop quickly.

So regardless of what answers you get, it's very hard to know how many
people will read it.

--
Ken Blake
Old June 1st, 2012, 05:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
gtr

On 2012-05-31 19:11:23 +0000, Erick T. Barkhuis said:

Runge 666:

"tim....":
Are there enough people here to bother posting my report?

If it's such a bother to give one click, then don't bother.

For once, if have to agree with Runge, Tim.
Just post the report if you like to publish it, don't have us beg for
it first.

It's the "blogger's angst".

Though bogging is a "long" game. You may start off with only a few
followers, but your aim is to gather more and more as you post more and
more.

Posting a report on here is a one-off, that (experience tells us)
almost no-one will read from the archives later.

Still I think the basic motivation, and the intended "payback" are the
same. Just my view.

Old June 1st, 2012, 05:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
gtr

On 2012-06-01 09:41:55 +0000, tim.... said:

I don't type it for my own sake, I do it if I have somewhere to post
that others will read it and find useful/interesting.

How can you know how useful/interesting it will be to people who won't
arrive here for months. The first time I visitied this usegroup, a few
years ago, I read it for hours, and messages from up to 5 or 6 years
before.

Old June 1st, 2012, 05:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_3_]

gtr:

The first time I visitied this usegroup, a few years ago,
I read it for hours, and messages from up to 5 or 6 years before.

sigh
Those were the days!
/s
Old June 1st, 2012, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Doug Anderson

wrote:

[...]

If he had more time, he would be writing a shorter report...