I recently had the worst moules-frites in the world...

Old June 7th, 2012, 10:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default I recently had the worst moules-frites in the world...

Jack Campin wrote:
I personally would find it too risky to eat mussels in the warm
season, as it can make you seriously ill, if one of them is bad
(botulism).

No risk of botulism, but there is a risk of other food-borne infections.
One of the nastiest is amnesic shellfish poisoning, which can cause
permanent brain damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesic...fish_poisoning

Clearly there's a REASON for the old adage not to eat mollusks during
months with an "r" in the name!
Old June 7th, 2012, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
David Horne[_2_]

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Jack Campin wrote:
I personally would find it too risky to eat mussels in the warm
season, as it can make you seriously ill, if one of them is bad
(botulism).

No risk of botulism, but there is a risk of other food-borne infections.
One of the nastiest is amnesic shellfish poisoning, which can cause
permanent brain damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesic...fish_poisoning

Clearly there's a REASON for the old adage not to eat mollusks during
months with an "r" in the name!

It doesn't prevent me from eating them, and the **** mussels I got
served were nothing to do with the season IMO.

David

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old June 7th, 2012, 11:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
bill

In article ,
says...

Jack Campin wrote:
I personally would find it too risky to eat mussels in the warm
season, as it can make you seriously ill, if one of them is bad
(botulism).

No risk of botulism, but there is a risk of other food-borne infections.
One of the nastiest is amnesic shellfish poisoning, which can cause
permanent brain damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesic...fish_poisoning

Clearly there's a REASON for the old adage not to eat mollusks during
months with an "r" in the name!

Except that you're the wrong way around.

The months WITHOUT an 'r' in then are May, June and July, the warmest
months in England.

Before refrigeration eating shellfish landed more than a few hours
before was dangerous.

In these days of refrigeration it is no longer an issue.

--
William Black

When you hear the words 'Our people are our greatest asset' then it's
time to leave.
Old June 7th, 2012, 11:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
Doug Anderson

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" writes:

Jack Campin wrote:
I personally would find it too risky to eat mussels in the warm
season, as it can make you seriously ill, if one of them is bad
(botulism).

No risk of botulism, but there is a risk of other food-borne
infections.
One of the nastiest is amnesic shellfish poisoning, which can cause
permanent brain damage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesic...fish_poisoning

Clearly there's a REASON for the old adage not to eat mollusks during
months with an "r" in the name!

The adage I learned was "never eat mussels on a day ending in 'y'."

Old June 8th, 2012, 12:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
Ken Blake[_2_]

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 23:08:09 +0100, Bill wrote:

The months WITHOUT an 'r' in then are May, June and July,

And August.

the warmest
months in England.

Before refrigeration eating shellfish landed more than a few hours
before was dangerous.

Exactly right. Those were the months and that was the reason. It no
longer applies.

But as far as I remember, it was always not to eat *oysters* during
those months, not shellfish in general.

In these days of refrigeration it is no longer an issue.

Right!

--
Ken Blake
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
June Hughes[_3_]

In message , Ken Blake
writes
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 23:08:09 +0100, Bill wrote:

The months WITHOUT an 'r' in then are May, June and July,

And August.

the warmest
months in England.

Before refrigeration eating shellfish landed more than a few hours
before was dangerous.

Exactly right. Those were the months and that was the reason. It no
longer applies.

But as far as I remember, it was always not to eat *oysters* during
those months, not shellfish in general.

In these days of refrigeration it is no longer an issue.

Right!

Wrong. See Janet's post about the breeding season.
--
June Hughes