in-flight American Airlines News is Advertorial, AKA Fake News

Old May 17th, 2007, 03:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Elvey

Default in-flight American Airlines News is Advertorial, AKA Fake News

The "America's Innovators and Entrepreneurs" talk radio show on
American Airlines is a paid Advertorial disguised as news - a VNR
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VNR), IMO.

I just got the spam email below offering to put my company on the show
- for a fee, and grant me 'final editorial control'.

To: x
From: Patricia Chi
Subject: Radio Interview with my company
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 00:31:49 -0700

TIME SENSITIVE MATERIAL
My name
My phone #

Hello:

I am writing on behalf of Sky Radio Network, the nation's
leading in-flight media company, in regards to our upcoming
"America's Innovators and Entrepreneurs" talk radio show on
American Airlines.

This special on-going radio series spotlights compelling
profiles of innovators and entrepreneurs -- from the small
business owner to the large enterprise CEO -- the people that
make up the backbone of business in America and are rarely
heard from. This show will feature stories of hope, ideas and
success stories in ways you've never heard before.

I would like to personally invite you to participate in our radio
program, which airs worldwide on American Airlines for a full
month reaching 4.2 million business and leisure travelers. There
is a small production fee to participate (see participation costs
and details below).

Our guests to date include:

Anthony Ambrose, General Manager, Intel
Craig Ellins, CEO, DigitalFX
Tom Cates, President, Brookeside
Stephan Brant, Managing VP, Hitachi Consulting
Debbie Grodon, President & CEO, Snappy Auctions
Al Knapp, President & CEO, Ethanex Energy
Joy Flora, President, Merry Maids

To hear some of our current and past interviews, click on
www.skyradionet.com

Our production team will produce a dynamic one-on-one
interview. Our writers will script everything in advance with
your final editorial control. Your interview will air in a
continuous loop on 29,000 American Airlines flights during
the entire month of September 2007.

Since we're on deadline, we're offering our last two spots on
our September 2007 edition for only $3,995 (normally $6,995).
Please note we must record your interview by May 30th and
because of our tight deadline, we need a commitment to secure
your spot no later than noon PST on Tuesday, May 15th.

Your participation includes:

1. Production and placement of a three-minute interview/profile
to air worldwide on "The Business and Technology Report" on
29,000 American flights reaching 4.2 million in September 2007.
**American Airlines is the world's largest airline and flies to
more destinations than any other airline.
Media kit: http://www.skyradionet.com/mediakitaa.cfm
FAQ: http://www.skyradionet.com/faq
2. Sky Radio's "America's Innovators and Entrepreneurs" program
listing in American Attractions (350,000 monthly copies).
** American Attractions has the greatest number of readers
and largest circulation of any in-flight publication.
3. Rebroadcast of interview on http://www.skyradionet.com
with link to your site for 1 year.
4. Digital audio file of interview for promotional and marketing
purposes.
5. "As heard on American Airlines" logo for airing of interview
on your website.
6. All turnkey production including scripting, recording, editing,
mastering and delivery.

Please contact me as soon as possible to reserve your spot, as
space is very limited. In the meantime, I encourage you to visit
our website to gain a better understanding of who we are and
the caliber of clients we represent.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Patricia Chi
Producer
Sky Radio Network
12155 Riverside Drive
Valley Village, CA 91607
818.754.6687 Office
310-594-9609 Mobile
818.301.2099 Fax

www.skyradionet.com

Producers of the #1 Talk Shows in the Sky and on the Web

Sky Radio Network is an independent producer contracted
to place business and lifestyles talk radio programming for four
major domestic carriers. If you'd like to call for a reference,
please contact the Executive Producer, Elizabeth Montgomery
at 818-762-6800 ext. 11 or email .
If you want to be take off our invitation list, please reply to this
email stating your intent.

Old May 17th, 2007, 03:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air
TMOliver

"Elvey" wrote in message
oups.com...
The "America's Innovators and Entrepreneurs" talk radio show on
American Airlines is a paid Advertorial disguised as news - a VNR
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VNR), IMO.

I just got the spam email below offering to put my company on the show
- for a fee, and grant me 'final editorial control'.

......And you are surprised? Shocked?

Leave your office and board the first city-owned bus which passes the
nearest stop. Inside, look above the windows - advertising signs, folks
paying the city transit authority to promote their product/service. In many
cities, the entire exterior of a bus is sold as advertising space. I
haven't seen a phallic "Preparation H" buss yet, but expect to. WN's
"Shamu" bird was certainly a commercial for Sea World (which I expect paid
for the painting).

.....and you're discombobulated at being solicited.

Que maroon!

TMO

Old May 19th, 2007, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Miguel Cruz[_2_]

Elvey wrote:
The "America's Innovators and Entrepreneurs" talk radio show on
American Airlines is a paid Advertorial disguised as news - a VNR
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VNR), IMO.

Every show like that is the same way. I sort of thought everyone knew
that.

miguel
--
Hit the road! Photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu
Detailed airport information: http://airport.u.nu
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air
me[_5_]

On May 19, 2:56 pm, Miguel Cruz wrote:
Elvey wrote:
The "America's Innovators and Entrepreneurs" talk radio show on
American Airlines is a paid Advertorial disguised as news - a VNR
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VNR), IMO.

Every show like that is the same way. I sort of thought everyone knew
that.

I always presumed it was part of a larger package of cooperation,
not just a pay per appearance kind of deal.