will airfare to italy get cheaper before summer?

Old March 21st, 2004, 04:19 PM
Nick

Default will airfare to italy get cheaper before summer?

Looking to travel to Italy anytime late june to
early july. last year, i saw fares for ~$500
between new york and rome. this year, closer to
$900!. actually prefer, ideally, to fly from
philadelphia to milan, and rome to philadelphia.

anyway, airfares seem quite high. should I wait,
or should I book now?

Old March 21st, 2004, 04:33 PM
Mike Cordelli

The current low pricing is till the first week of April, after that the
rates are way higher then they were last year (last year we went from New
York to Milan for $350, this year so far the price is holding at about twice
that for the same dates).

Old March 21st, 2004, 08:13 PM
Steve

if that 900 figure includes tax n fees then it is about as good as it gets
for Jun or Jul this year

summer travel premium is always about 300 USD above the off season fares for
most airlines

Old March 22nd, 2004, 03:09 PM
Neil Gillis

"Nick" wrote in message
Looking to travel to Italy anytime late june to
early july. last year, i saw fares for ~$500
between new york and rome. this year, closer to
$900!. actually prefer, ideally, to fly from
philadelphia to milan, and rome to philadelphia.

anyway, airfares seem quite high. should I wait,
or should I book now?

Have been watching fares Boston-Rome for about four months on a regular
basis via Orbitz, Expedia etc. The old saying "right place at the right
time" worked for me; after seeing $900 - $1,200 prices found a non-stop
Boston - Rome and return for $430 via Alitalia on Orbitz about four weeks
ago. Price was there for about 24 hours and then it disappeared. Since
then, Alitalia has changed one leg to Boston - Milan - Rome. That's OK
with me considering the above price. Keep looking and you may get lucky.

Neil

Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:37 PM
jrk011

"Nick" wrote in message ...
Looking to travel to Italy anytime late june to
early july. last year, i saw fares for ~$500
between new york and rome. this year, closer to
$900!. actually prefer, ideally, to fly from
philadelphia to milan, and rome to philadelphia.

anyway, airfares seem quite high. should I wait,
or should I book now?

I had a smilar situation a year ago, although I was looking
for the Atlanta-Rome fares, which are normally higher
than those from NYC or other northeastern hubs. The period
was end of July / beginning of August, that is, the high
season.

I started my search quite early, about March, and the
prices were horrendous, on the order of $1,400-$1,600.
A closer look revealed that only high-level economy fares
were offered (H, K or M on Delta) for some reason. In the
later weeks, the low-level fares (such as L) occasionally
appeared, and quickly disappeared, often within hours.
I think they are being released by the software in small numbers.
Eventually, I managed to book two L-fare tickets in May for $1,000
each, which under the circumstances turned out to be a good bargain.

Hope this helps,

jrk011
Old March 23rd, 2004, 01:16 AM
maryanne kehoe

I just bought $490 RT (including junk fees) ATL-MAN-ATL. Not sure what
the fare will be in the latter part of April. Maybe you can buy your
ticket now when it is cheap?

Old March 23rd, 2004, 01:33 AM
mtravelkay

maryanne kehoe wrote:

I just bought $490 RT (including junk fees) ATL-MAN-ATL. Not sure what
the fare will be in the latter part of April. Maybe you can buy your
ticket now when it is cheap?

Maybe I misunderstood. Are you flying to Manchester in April, or in the
summer?
How does the April fare of $490 from ATL-MAN (Manchester) help someone
who indicated they wanted to travel in June or July (and from PHL to
MXP?). Fares to Italy are generally higher than fares to the UK, and
fares during the summer are generally higher than fares in the spring.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 02:13 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

after seeing $900 - $1,200 prices found a non-stop Boston - Rome and
return for $430 via Alitalia on Orbitz about four weeks ago.

I was checking every day too--for friends. I didn't check that morning--but
they did--and snapped up $492 Chicago-Nice on Alitalia for July. I still
can't figure out if that was some bizarre pricing mistake or an intended
"sale". I kind of think it was the fomer. By that afternoon, after my
friends had their Orbitz ticket confirmation, I looked and the fare was in
the $900's again.

This year has been super-slim pickings for summer U.S.-Europe fare deals,
that's for sure!!!

Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:47 AM
maryanne kehoe

I was trying to tell the gentelman that if one part of Europe was on
sale, if he called now, he might get a good deal!

will airfare to italy get cheaper before summer?

Group: rec.travel.air Date: Tue, Mar 23, 2004, 12:33am (EST+5) From:
(mtravelkay)

Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:59 AM
mtravelkay

maryanne kehoe wrote:

I was trying to tell the gentelman that if one part of Europe was on
sale, if he called now, he might get a good deal!

Was you ticket for travel in the summer?