Round trip question

Old March 29th, 2004, 10:50 PM
nobody

Default Round trip question

NewsRojosh wrote:
answer. I am thinking of visiting the UK for a year. If one buys a round
trip (return) ticket, can one use a year later for the return date?

In almost all cases, the maximum stay is one year, but I think there may be
exceptions to this. Note that you need to do your homework because tickets
that allow up to a year in stay tend to be much more expensive than those that
allow only one month (the norm).

If you stay more than one year, it is usually cheaper to buy 2 separate low
cost round trip tickets, and discarding the second half of each ticket. (for
instance, you buy A-B-A, and B-A-B tickets, and only use A-B and B-A legs
(first leg of each ticket). This option may also be cheaper in some cases even
if you are within one year depending on airline/route and available fares.

Note that tickets that allow a stay of up to a year tend to be far more
versatile in terms of changing your return date and would usually allow an
open dated return leg (allowing you to make the actual reservation on a
specifc date later in your trip).
Old March 29th, 2004, 11:40 PM
NewsRojosh

I submitted this to 2 airline site and received an automated reply that
didn't address my question. Hopefully, someone on this NG can supply an
answer. I am thinking of visiting the UK for a year. If one buys a round
trip (return) ticket, can one use a year later for the return date? If not,
what would be the longest time between "coming and going" on a round trip
fare?
Yankee Bob
VOTE! Or otherwise, shut the f*uck up!

Old March 29th, 2004, 11:46 PM
mtravelkay

NewsRojosh wrote:

I submitted this to 2 airline site and received an automated reply that
didn't address my question. Hopefully, someone on this NG can supply an
answer. I am thinking of visiting the UK for a year. If one buys a round
trip (return) ticket, can one use a year later for the return date? If not,
what would be the longest time between "coming and going" on a round trip
fare?

Tickets can be valid for up to a year. However, in many cases, you could
buy at least two round trip tickets for the same money. You might also
try a consolidator for a cheaper one way ticket, then just by another
one when you want to return.

Old March 30th, 2004, 05:15 AM
Graham Harrison

While this strategy will work from the point of view of he fare it may not
be a good idea when it comes to immigration. When you enter the UK they
will probably ask you how long you are staying. If your round trip is for
3 weeks they mayonly give you the three weeks to stay in the country.

Even if you do buy a ticket valid for 1 year you may find that they won't
allow a stay that long.

--
*****
*****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam

Old March 30th, 2004, 05:19 AM
nobody

Graham Harrison wrote:
be a good idea when it comes to immigration. When you enter the UK they
will probably ask you how long you are staying. If your round trip is for
3 weeks they mayonly give you the three weeks to stay in the country.

You then show the second ticket and explain. Also, if you are staying for one
year, wouldn't you need a visa anyways ? Immigration agents would know how to
deal with someone with a 1 year visa and not-so firm return dates.

If they give you trouble, you can also argue that your second ticket is
non-cheangeable (as are low cost tickets) and hence, you are more assured of
returning on that date than if you had the more expensive single ticket with
open-dated return date (or changeable return date).
Old March 30th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Check on the restriction for the fare class. Many low cost fares have a
limit for the length of the trip. FFM

Old March 30th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Miguel Cruz

Graham Harrison edward dott harrisonone att btinternet dott com wrote:
While this strategy will work from the point of view of he fare it may not
be a good idea when it comes to immigration. When you enter the UK they
will probably ask you how long you are staying. If your round trip is for
3 weeks they mayonly give you the three weeks to stay in the country.

It always seemed to me like they were only issued with one stamp: "Leave to
enter for 6 months. Employment [and recourse to public funds] prohibited."

Do they actually have others? For some travelers to the UK, is it like
Singapore, where each entry includes a revelation of yet another different
stamp (7, 14, 30, 90 days, who knows what else?) hidden behind the desk and
capriciously applied?

miguel
Old March 30th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Mark Hewitt

"NewsRojosh" wrote in message
I submitted this to 2 airline site and received an automated reply that
didn't address my question. Hopefully, someone on this NG can supply an
answer. I am thinking of visiting the UK for a year. If one buys a round
trip (return) ticket, can one use a year later for the return date? If

not,
what would be the longest time between "coming and going" on a round trip
fare?

You can buy a flexible ticket which is usually valid for up to a year only
however these very expensive.

What you might be able to do is buy a cheap restricted ticket and then pay
the change fee to change the return leg.. however you need to make the
change *before* the return date on the ticket or it will cease to be valid.

VOTE! Or otherwise, shut the f*uck up!

ok, will do! ;-)

Old March 30th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Graham Harrison

I could say the same about US immigration - they always seem to give 90 days
but I am aware of people who have been given much shorter periods.

As an example I'll quote a friend. He and I, similar ages and backgrounds,
applied for US visitor visas at about the same time (when UK citizens needed
visas in the 60s). I got unlimited entries for 4 years. He got a single
entry visa for 1 year. I entered the US and was given 30 days (I was
actually planning to be there 7 days). He entered and was given one day
more than his ticket said.

Immigration officers world-wide have very wide powers, they don't take well
to people trying to argue their way into their country.

--
*****

Old March 31st, 2004, 09:42 AM
Ulf Kutzner

Graham Harrison schrieb:

As an example I'll quote a friend. He and I, similar ages and backgrounds,
applied for US visitor visas at about the same time (when UK citizens needed
visas in the 60s). I got unlimited entries for 4 years. He got a single
entry visa for 1 year. I entered the US and was given 30 days (I was
actually planning to be there 7 days). He entered and was given one day
more than his ticket said.

Immigration officers world-wide have very wide powers, they don't take well
to people trying to argue their way into their country.

German immigration officers at the border will let you in or not but
will not shorten your stay once you are allowed to enter (except in
cases the give you a visa you should have taken at the consulate).

Regards, ULF