Hotel in Copenhagen

Old November 17th, 2010, 09:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

Default Hotel in Copenhagen

In May next year, we will be ending up in Copenhagen after a 16 day
trans-Atlantic cruise and would like to spend a couple of days in
Copenhagen...I would appreciate any recommendations for a hotel that would
not be far from the city center and near the train station for transport to
the airport. I would also be interested in any suggestions as to what to
see and do while there.

Thanks in advance,
--Jean

Old November 17th, 2010, 10:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
"Jean O'Boyle" wrote:

In May next year, we will be ending up in Copenhagen after a 16 day
trans-Atlantic cruise and would like to spend a couple of days in
Copenhagen...I would appreciate any recommendations for a hotel that would
not be far from the city center and near the train station for transport to
the airport. I would also be interested in any suggestions as to what to
see and do while there.

I stayed at the Mermaid, which is not all THAT far from the train
station, and quite liked it. I like a hotel with a decent restaurant for
when I've walked too much earlier in the day, and I thought theirs was
quite good. My most important reason for spending three nights there
was the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde, which I reached by train with a
Danish friend. The next morning I indulged another enthusiasm and took
a bus to a nearby open air museum, then visited the national historical
museum. By the time I left it, I was REALLY tired of walking and took a
boat tour around the harbor before heading back to the hotel for another
good dinner.
That was just the beginning; the next day I flew up to Bergen for a
Hurtigruten cruise up the coast of Norway, then flew down to Oslo for
more Viking ships and another open-air museum. . 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.mosaictelecom.com/~erilarlo
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Joe Makowiec

On 17 Nov 2010 in rec.travel.europe, Jean O'Boyle wrote:

In May next year, we will be ending up in Copenhagen after a 16 day
trans-Atlantic cruise and would like to spend a couple of days in
Copenhagen...I would appreciate any recommendations for a hotel that
would not be far from the city center and near the train station for
transport to the airport. I would also be interested in any
suggestions as to what to see and do while there.

I can't help with the hotel. We stayed out on the periphery*.

It depends on what you like, but I'd definitely recommend Rosenborg Slot
(http://dkks.dk/english). The other poster's recommendation about the
Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde is also good, although it's a good 35 km
out of Copenhagen. I believe that at the moment, the Little Mermaid is
on tour somewhere - yes, Shanghai for the Expo, although that ended 31
October, so I would imagine that she'll be back in Copenhagen.

* http://www.zleephotels.com/en/hotel/...hotel-ballerup

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_7_]

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message

In May next year, we will be ending up in Copenhagen after a 16 day
trans-Atlantic cruise and would like to spend a couple of days in
Copenhagen...I would appreciate any recommendations for a hotel that would
not be far from the city center and near the train station for transport
to the airport. I would also be interested in any suggestions as to what
to see and do while there.

I like the Hotel DŽ Angleterre. It is one mile, approximately, from the
railway station. What to see and what to do depends, of course, on your
interests (Art, Culture, scenery etc) but the hotel Concierge will be very
helpful. And Denmark is rather expensive, so bring money.

--
JohnT

Old November 18th, 2010, 08:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Wed, 17 Nov 2010 22:50:15 +0000 (UTC) schrieb Joe Makowiec:

On 17 Nov 2010 in rec.travel.europe, Jean O'Boyle wrote:

In May next year, we will be ending up in Copenhagen after a 16 day
trans-Atlantic cruise and would like to spend a couple of days in
Copenhagen...I would appreciate any recommendations for a hotel that
would not be far from the city center and near the train station for
transport to the airport. I would also be interested in any
suggestions as to what to see and do while there.

I can't help with the hotel. We stayed out on the periphery*.

It depends on what you like, but I'd definitely recommend Rosenborg Slot
(http://dkks.dk/english). The other poster's recommendation about the
Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde is also good, although it's a good 35 km
out of Copenhagen.

There is also a lot of Viking stuff at the National-museum in the city. I
think it's even free of charge.

Regards,

Frank
Old November 18th, 2010, 12:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message

In May next year, we will be ending up in Copenhagen after a 16 day
trans-Atlantic cruise and would like to spend a couple of days in
Copenhagen...I would appreciate any recommendations for a hotel that would
not be far from the city center and near the train station for transport
to the airport. I would also be interested in any suggestions as to what
to see and do while there.

I can recommend the Scandic Hotel Webbers, 100 metres from the main station.

It's a great hotel. If you have to pay the full rate it's rather pricey but
I managed to get a really good deal booking online, though I think the
availability of such deals is somewhat random.

Tip - if you can arrange you day so as to make lunchtime your main meal you
will get much better prices. These are usually available until about 16:00
after which prices for a full meal can be as much as double.

As to what to do, not much advice here. IMHO there aren't any world class
[1] must sees in Copenhagen, it's just a nice city to walk around for a
couple of days. Don't forget to walk over the "river" to Christianshavn (it
has a metro stop if you don't want to walk). As has been said taking the
boat tour is a good option.

If you're into Castles you can take the suburban train to Helsingor to visit
Hamlet's Castle. If you do decide to do this you should buy yourself a day
pass for the whole transit system (if they are still available - I'm
struggling to find a link).

[1] Apart from the Viking ships at Roskilde, though I thought that the
museum here wasn't as good as the one in Oslo

tim

Old November 18th, 2010, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Giovanni Drogo" wrote in message
news:alpine.LSU.2.00.1011181450070.17863@cbfrvqba. ynzoengr.vans.vg...
On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, Jean O'Boyle wrote:

hotel that would not be far from the city center and near the train
station

Many many years I staid at the Astoria which is just outside the station.
We had nice rooms and an excellent breakfast. We booked it at arrival
(sleeper from Hamburg) in the tourist office at the station.

Few years ago I tried to book it again via web, I found prices were a bit
higher, however there were interesting offers, but not for the time I was
interested in. We booked instead an IBIS which is one block away

Accor have sold all of their Ibis hotels in Denmark so no longer have a
presence there

tim

Old November 18th, 2010, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
"tim...." wrote:

Apart from the Viking ships at Roskilde, though I thought that the
museum here wasn't as good as the one in Oslo

Having visited both, I can't really see the comparison as valid. They
complement each other beautifully. The Oslo museum shows you a couple
partly-reconstructed ships in a lovely setting. The Roskilde museum
shows you how they were built and a number of actual sea-going
reconstructions of several types of ships WITH rigging actually in the
water. They're very different. To be honest, I liked Roskilde better
than Oslo, though both are terrific if you have even a faint interest in
the period.

Old November 18th, 2010, 07:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
mikeos

On 17/11/2010 21:07, Jean O'Boyle wrote:
In May next year, we will be ending up in Copenhagen after a 16 day
trans-Atlantic cruise and would like to spend a couple of days in
Copenhagen...I would appreciate any recommendations for a hotel that would
not be far from the city center and near the train station for transport to
the airport. I would also be interested in any suggestions as to what to
see and do while there.

Thanks in advance,
--Jean

I've stayed twice at the Tiffany, very close to the railway station.
well-equipped with a hotplate and small fridge in the rooms. Fresh rolls
are delivered to your room every morning. Recommended.
Old November 19th, 2010, 06:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dawn Khorus

On Nov 17, 10:07*pm, "Jean O'Boyle" wrote:
In May next year, we will be ending up in Copenhagen after a 16 day
trans-Atlantic cruise and would like to spend a couple of days in
Copenhagen...I would appreciate any recommendations for a hotel that would
not be far from the city center and near the train station for transport to
the airport. *I would also be interested in any suggestions as to what to
see and do while there.

Thanks in advance,
--Jean

looking forward to the fotos from your last trip......