Wi-Fi at airports

Old April 19th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Bob

Default Wi-Fi at airports

Just got a new laptop that has a Wi-Fi card. I travel out of Chicago's
O'Hare (typically UA and UX terminals) and wondered if anyone can tell me
if there are any free wi-fi hot spots? I've looked at O'Hare's website but
couldn't find anything.

Thanks for any responses.

Bob

Old April 19th, 2004, 10:55 PM
James Robinson

Bob wrote:

Just got a new laptop that has a Wi-Fi card. I travel out of Chicago's
O'Hare (typically UA and UX terminals) and wondered if anyone can tell me
if there are any free wi-fi hot spots? I've looked at O'Hare's website but
couldn't find anything.

There was a recent article on free wireless at airports, and the only
large airport to provide it was Pittsburgh. Here is a link:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/colum...2-baskas_x.htm
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Miguel Cruz

James Robinson wrote:
Bob wrote:
Just got a new laptop that has a Wi-Fi card. I travel out of Chicago's
O'Hare (typically UA and UX terminals) and wondered if anyone can tell me
if there are any free wi-fi hot spots? I've looked at O'Hare's website but
couldn't find anything.

There was a recent article on free wireless at airports, and the only
large airport to provide it was Pittsburgh.

Istanbul has it for free, as does Singapore. JFK and Long Beach have it in
the JetBlue terminals.

Many airports have it in the lobby of the airport hotel. Sometimes it leaks
out of the club lounges.

In the rest, where you have to pay $10 or so for a day pass, some nice
people set their laptops up to act as repeaters. You'll have to scan for
those yourself.

miguel
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:58 AM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

James Robinson wrote:

There was a recent article on free wireless at airports, and the only
large airport to provide it was Pittsburgh.

Albuquerque (ABQ) and Wichita (ICT) also offer free connections.

Anyone notice that Boingo no longer offers partial day or full day options? You
appear to have to subscribe to their monthly plan now.
Old April 20th, 2004, 01:15 AM
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old April 20th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Mike Schumann

At Newark, it leaks out of the Continental Lounge near Gate 78??? (the
lounge that is on a 2nd floor balcony). If you sit in the food court under
the lounge near the Pizza stand, you can get WI-FI and also have access to
an AC power plug.

Mike Schumann

Old April 20th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Howard Lem

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:15:52 +0000, A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:
CYYZ does as well. Found that out quite by accident (pulled out
the laptop to check up on something, and boom! 'net access).

Which terminal and near which gate(s)?

howard
--
Howard Lem ***********************************
Univ of Toronto * Spam detterent at work! *

Old April 21st, 2004, 12:42 AM
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old April 22nd, 2004, 05:20 AM
Charles Newman

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
Just got a new laptop that has a Wi-Fi card. I travel out of Chicago's
O'Hare (typically UA and UX terminals) and wondered if anyone can tell me
if there are any free wi-fi hot spots? I've looked at O'Hare's website but
couldn't find anything.

Thanks for any responses.

Bob

Well, as our Australian chap mentioned in the VISA COPS thread, you
can extend the range by using an antenna made out of a Pringles can.
That will give you a 15db gain, and allow you to be further out from a
WiFi hotspot

Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:21 PM
JAC

No Wifi at O'Hare yet. There is a bid request out for vendors to
provide it. But it will be awhile.