Crete

Old May 1st, 2005, 11:36 AM
Mark, Devon

Default Crete

Hi,

I'm visiting Crete for the first time with my three daughters (aged
15,11 and 7) late in May. Has anyone got any tips on where to visit?
We'll be staying in Gournes/Gouves area.

Anything would be useful - kids love wildlife/animals, art, music, fun
things, swimming/water things, theatre, beaches, food! What is nice to
visit and what should be avoided? Thinking of using buses and taxis
rather than hiring a car etc. - how would that work out?

Thank you,

--
Mark

Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:18 PM
Volker Hetzer

"Mark, Devon" schrieb im Newsbeitrag ups.com...
Hi,

I'm visiting Crete for the first time with my three daughters (aged
15,11 and 7) late in May. Has anyone got any tips on where to visit?
We'll be staying in Gournes/Gouves area.

Anything would be useful - kids love wildlife/animals, art, music, fun
things, swimming/water things, theatre, beaches, food! What is nice to
visit and what should be avoided? Thinking of using buses and taxis
rather than hiring a car etc. - how would that work out?

Can you visit the western part too?
Samaria valley (biggest gorge of europe) is worth a visit.

Crete generally, I was most impressed by all the little goats walking almost
upside down on the vertical walls or climbing little trees.

Things to avoid:
- Sea urchins (seriously, wear bathing shoes in the water)
- driving a car on your own
- driving your own car
- as usual: german tourist groups (as individuals we are normally okay
and tend to avoid the groups too.)

Things that are great:
The local youths and their cars. You haven't seen headlights before you
visit crete. *Every* car has at least four to six headlights and the guy
driving it is basically looking out for every small cloud in the summer
sky so that he has an excuse to switch the whole cristmas tree on. :-)
Also, where I was (southeast) the prices are great.

Heraklion (where you'll probably land) has some pretty impressive
ruins near the harbor. Those arcs look pretty normal until you start
to walk towards them and notice that ou aren't getting nearer but they
just get bigger and bigger.

Also, the heraklion inner city is probably closest to what I see as a "proper"
city. I think it was designed by the venezians.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:03 PM
Mark, Devon

Hi Volker,

Thank you for that useful information, all taken on board! Oh, in
Germany this year there is a good folk/rock duo going over. They are
called 'Show of Hands' - do a Google search!

Regards,

Mark.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:51 PM
Volker Hetzer

"Mark, Devon" schrieb im Newsbeitrag ups.com...
Hi Volker,

Thank you for that useful information, all taken on board! Oh, in
Germany this year there is a good folk/rock duo going over. They are
called 'Show of Hands' - do a Google search!

A bit too far away from me but the downloadable song sounds good
and they are available on amazon!

Thanks a lot!
Volker