Walking along Fraser island

Old January 23rd, 2004, 06:53 AM
Hallvard Tangeraas

Default Walking along Fraser island

I'm NOT interested in joining any of the many (expensive) tours for
travelling around Fraser island, and it's not really a "must see"
place for me, even though it seems to be for everybody else, but it
would be fun to take the barge across, take a walk, then take the
barge back.

I know I'll only see a fraction of the island (or less), but I'm happy
with that. It's VERY hard to find information about this as everybody
wants to sell you a package tour, so from the limited information I've
been able to gather it seems like the best place to leave from is
Hervey bay (I'm at rainbow beach right now).

Any tips? Suggestions? Previous experience?

Hallvard
Old January 23rd, 2004, 09:38 AM
Mark Little

If you are looking to have a day trip where you walk around between barge
trips, I'm not sure that you will see much that you can't see from Rainbow
Beach. I assume that you are thinking of crossing near Inskip Point at the
northern end of Rainbow Beach. Obviously there is, or least was, a beach
track from the ferry, but none of the standard "highlights" are down that
end. It has been quite a while since I was there, but this may or may not
help you. http://www.little.id.au/travel/frase...ser_island.htm

regards,
Mark

om...

Old January 23rd, 2004, 05:34 PM
Alastair J. Smith

"Hallvard Tangeraas" wrote in message
om...
I'm NOT interested in joining any of the many (expensive) tours for
travelling around Fraser island, and it's not really a "must see"
place for me, even though it seems to be for everybody else, but it
would be fun to take the barge across, take a walk, then take the
barge back.

I know I'll only see a fraction of the island (or less), but I'm happy
with that. It's VERY hard to find information about this as everybody
wants to sell you a package tour, so from the limited information I've
been able to gather it seems like the best place to leave from is
Hervey bay (I'm at rainbow beach right now).

We were in the same position just before Christmas (16th Dec 2003) from what
we could find out there isn't much point unless you go on a trip or hire an
expensive four wheel drive. We drove to Hervey Bay (it's cheaper where you
are from Inskip Point) had a look at the timings of the ferry but decided
that even then you wouldn't have much time over there (on a day trip foot
passenger).

I've been following your progress up the coast over the past couple of
weeks, as wid did the East Coast, Sydney to Cairns in December by car and
then flew back to Sydney for New Year. Rainbow Beach was pretty quiet then,
seem to remember it is a one bar (pub) town (village)

A few miles up the road is Tin Can Bay which has a dolphin (maybe dolphins)
that comes into the marina each morning to be fed. You can buy tins of fish
to feed it or just watch, anyway it's a great photo opportunity as you stand
there knee deep in the water next to it.

If you stop at Bundaberg, then there is the turtle rookery at the beach and
you may get to see one (Giant Turtle) however it is in the evening ($5.50)
and you must cover up or be bitten to death by the mosquitos that come out
the swampy area.

Alastair Smith

PS Did you make it to the Cherry Venture at Rainbow Beach?

Old January 24th, 2004, 04:09 AM
RRobin9804

'm NOT interested in joining any of the many (expensive) tours for
travelling around Fraser island, and it's not really a "must see"
place for me, even though it seems to be for everybody else, but it
would be fun to take the barge across, take a walk, then take the
barge back.

I know I'll only see a fraction of the island (or less), but I'm happy
with that. It's VERY hard to find information about this as everybody
wants to sell you a package tour, so from the limited information I've
been able to gather it seems like the best place to leave from is
Hervey bay (I'm at rainbow beach right now).

Any tips? Suggestions? Previous experience?

Hallvard,

Unless you want to hire a vehicle or take a tour, you will see precious little
of Fraser Island in one day by walking. The island is enormous - it's about
120 km top to bottom, averaging about 20 km wide. The biggest sights - the
perched lakes and rainforests are situated well into the interior. If you
really like to walk I suppose you could could catch the barge from River Heads
to Wanggoolba Creek ot the Kingfisher Bay resort (on the west side of the
island) and then walk the 20 km or so return trip to Lake McKenzie. Otherwise,
I'd give it a miss.

Ralph R, CT, USA
Old January 24th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Peter Webb

When I was last there (15 years ago!) it was a bush track that ran parallel
to the beach.

I think Hallvard wants to "just so he can say he's done it". Unfortunately,
as soon as he meets somebody else who has been to Fraser, they will say (in
Norwegian) "what did you see" and he will say "that really boring place
where the ferry lands".

Hey, Hallvard, are you going inland like many people recommended?

Old January 25th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Hallvard Tangeraas

"Peter Webb" wrote in message . au...

I think Hallvard wants to "just so he can say he's done it". Unfortunately,
as soon as he meets somebody else who has been to Fraser, they will say (in
Norwegian) "what did you see" and he will say "that really boring place
where the ferry lands".

Not really. I'll be doing it for my own sake, in my own way, and
saving some money along the way.
If I really like it I might do the whole island next time (and by then
I will probably be back with a rented/bought car to see more of the
country anyway).
But for now I'll be perfectly happy just getting a "taste" of it.

According to the little information I've found myself it looks like
there are two separate landing points for barges from Hervey bay,
where one lands at Kingfisher bay, while the other one lands a little
bit more south. I don't know which one will be most practical for me,
but looking further at the map I see that lake McKenzie is about a
10km walk (one way), so I could probably get there by foot, enjoy it
for a while, walk back and take the barge back to Hervey bay!
Anyone know more about this?

Hey, Hallvard, are you going inland like many people recommended?Not really. I'm doing it

Yes. When I get to Rockhampton I'll be going west by train to
Longreach, stay there for a while, then take the bus to Barcaldine,
stay there, and take the bus further back to Rockhampton where I'll
catch the McCafferty's bus further north again.

Hallvard
Old January 25th, 2004, 02:47 AM
Pat

Hey Hallvard,
Do you like Dingoes ?
I reckon you'll probably meet a few on this walk of yours !

"Hallvard Tangeraas" wrote in message
om...

. au...

Old January 25th, 2004, 05:27 AM
vicki Steven

in article , Hallvard
Tangeraas at
wrote on 25/1/04 1:10 PM:

"Peter Webb" wrote in message
. au...

[...]

When you talk about "barges" to Fraser Island, these mean
drive-on/drive-off vehicles that carry cars. There is one of these at the
far south of the island (Inskip Pt to Hook Pt) - they just shuttle back &
forth (about 10 min) & have no provision for foot passengers. There is
another at River Head. However for foot passengers the best options are the
ferry from Urangan to Sandy Pt or the catamaran to Kingfisher Bay. I think
Lake McKenzie is more than 10 Km from Kingfisher Bay - it will be several
hours walk on soft sand.

Vicki

Old January 25th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Trusylver

"vicki Steven" wrote in message
.. .
in article , Hallvard
Tangeraas at
wrote on 25/1/04 1:10 PM:

"Peter Webb" wrote in message
. au...

[...]

The barges from inskip do take foot pasengers for free.

http://www.rainbowbeach.info/barge.html

the barges from Hervey Bay only run 3 times a day and MUST be booked in
advance

BTW Lake Birrabeen is a better lake to visit looks
the same as Mckenzie with far less crowds

we get about 1 or two people a week in our info centre planing to walk the
island

Cheers
Trusylver

Old January 25th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Ralph R

(Hallvard Tangeraas) wrote in message . com...
"Peter Webb" wrote in message . au...

According to the little information I've found myself it looks like
there are two separate landing points for barges from Hervey bay,
where one lands at Kingfisher bay, while the other one lands a little
bit more south. I don't know which one will be most practical for me,
but looking further at the map I see that lake McKenzie is about a
10km walk (one way), so I could probably get there by foot, enjoy it
for a while, walk back and take the barge back to Hervey bay!
Anyone know more about this?

Hallvard,

My map of Fraser (1995) and Lonely Planet guidebook (1998) show a
barge from River Heads to Wanggoolba Creek, which is 8 km or so south
of the Kingfisher resort. Wanggoolba Creek is the "port" closest to
Lake McKenzie and Lake Birrabeen. Looks like less than 10 km to Lake
McKenzie (there is a track shown on my map). So I suppose you could do
the return walk in a day quite easily. Hopefully the barge
arrival/departure times to/from the island will work out for you.

I did a bit of bushwalking on Fraser when I was there in 1998.
Although the island is all sand, the tracks we followed were well
packed and the going was not difficult. We did see dingoes.

Our trip to Fraser was in August. There were not hoards of people at
Lake McKenzie, but judging by the size of the camping and picnic area,
and from what I've heard, this could be a very busy place in January
during school holidays. Lake Birrabeen will be quieter but a further
walk for you (and is not quite as beautiful as McKenzie, from what I
remember).

Ralph R in CT