"One bag" travel, which bag is best?

Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:55 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
RPSinha

Default "One bag" travel, which bag is best?

[Reposted with enlarged group list. Please leave rec.travel.air intact,
I can only access replies there.]

I am going to experiment with doing away with checked luggage and try
traveling with just one carry-on. This will be for a few weeks, a few
countries, everything from planes and trains to back country buses.
So this bag needs to be pretty versatile: strong, light, easy to
organize etc, and resistant to dust and water. I found two intriguing
suggestions in http://www.onebag.com/bags.html : the Red Oxx Air Boss
and Tough traveler Tri-Zip. Both are about $225.

Another suggestion was Rick Steves Convertable carry-on bag; $99.
http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...ction=product&
theParentId=8&id=139

Do you have any expereince with these? Or, do you have another
recommendation?

Finally, do you find any particular *colors* either very good or not so
good for rugged travel? (My "one bag" is likely to take more beating
than if it had been just one of several bags with me.) The Red Oxx
comes in 12 colors, for example:
http://www.redoxx.com/catalog/carry-on/p_91018-air-boss.html

Thanks.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:34 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
rascal[_1_]

No wheels. Despite what the "travel experts" may say, carry your bag for a
couple of miles or so getting out of the airport and wheels become more
attractive. Try
http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...ntId=122&id=42
for a wheeled version of the Rick bag.

Pick a color that most bags are not. Better visibility for you and fewer
chances of your bag being taken by someone else by mistake.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:23 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
Miguel Cruz

"rascal" wrote:
Despite what the "travel experts" may say, carry your bag for a
couple of miles or so getting out of the airport and wheels become
more attractive.

I cannot imagine a scenario in which a wheeled bag is more attractive,
unless it is so heavy that you simply cannot lift it - such as an
equipment container on 4 casters.

I sometimes have to carry my luggage fairly long distances. For example,
last year I had to carry two bags (one large checked backpack, worn in
the back, one small carry-on backpack, worn in the front) from Istanbul
airport to the center of town because my ATM card had expired just
before the flight (who ever checks the expiration date on their ATM
card?), I didn't have any other form of money on me, and the only bank
that was prepared to sort me out was in the middle of town. Leaving
aside the stupidity of the situation I'd gotten myself into, it was
really no problem to do this - I just found some high ground, located
the coastline, followed it, and a few hours later I was in Sultanahmet.

With wheeled bags I wouldn't have made it out of the airport parking lot
before I was ready to hurl them under a passing truck.

My girlfriend travels with a large wheeled bag and it slows us down
tremendously (hope she's not reading this). It is faster for me to pick
her bag up and carry it in my arms while also wearing my large backpack,
than for her (or me) to drag it by the wheels. The whole principle
sucks. They suck on stairs, they suck in countries where everything
isn't wheelchair-accessible, they suck on bumpy sidewalks, they suck in
ice and snow, they suck if you have to run or jog, they suck when you
are getting in and out of vehicles, they suck on escalators where you
are the jerk who blocks the way so nobody can walk past. They suck.

Carrying a bag by a handle, so that it swings against your leg with each
step, and the weight of it compresses your spine, also sucks. Really
nothing beats a good - and properly-adjusted - backpack, especially for
business travel when you frequently have to deal with tight schedules.

miguel
--
Photos from 40 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia; Thailand; Singapore; Spain; Morocco
Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:27 PM posted to rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
Charlie Hammond

In article OApAg.884$uW1.647@dukeread06, "rascal" writes:
No wheels. Despite what the "travel experts" may say, carry your bag for a
couple of miles or so getting out of the airport and wheels become more
attractive. ...

Wheels and handles take up a surprising amount of the limited space
in a carry-on size bag. It's a trade off to consider carfully.
I've been a number of places where wheels weren't much good due to
the condition of the ground/floor.

If you don't get wheels, look for a bag that has or can accomodate
a shoulder strap. Makes carying easier without sacrificing space.

I also travel with a small back pack -- a "day bag" -- in addition
to my "carry-on"

--
Charlie Hammond -- Hewlett-Packard Company -- Ft Lauderdale FL USA
-- remove "@not" when replying)

Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:05 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
Dave Patterson

wrote:

Curious...would a backpack work better?

Sure.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:30 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
Dave Patterson

nobody wrote:

Remember that you cannot do that in the UK anymore. Police will shoot to
kill tourists with backpacks before they get a chance to ask any
questions (and this policy is approved/condoned by the Bliar government).

Speaking only for rec.travel.africa, I say let's
don't start yet another endless round of useless
and witless postings like this.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:53 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Larry in Berkeley

RPSinha wrote:
[Reposted with enlarged group list. Please leave rec.travel.air intact,
I can only access replies there.]

I am going to experiment with doing away with checked luggage and try
traveling with just one carry-on.

Many airlines are now enforcing the old rule that a carryon may not
weigh more than seven kilos. But they will check it if it does. You
may want to be ready to take out anything that you do not want checked.

Larry in Berkeley, California

Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:01 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
rascal[_1_]

Yes, and that's a really good idea. I say shoot all the tourist as soon as
they show themselves. Carrying two bags should be prima fascia evidence of
tourism and give everyone the right to shoot them immediately. You surely
don't want to just wound them, so shooting to kill is the way to go.

Old August 4th, 2006, 12:23 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
Dave Frightens Me

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:23:29 +0800, Miguel Cruz
wrote:

"rascal" wrote:
[...]

Oh ****, that's a long way!

Are you seriously telling us you only had one card? I have 3, plus a
bit of cash at any time.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com