Suggestions for San Francisco ?

Old March 21st, 2006, 01:49 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.food

Default Suggestions for San Francisco ?

"SMS" wrote in message
trippinkpj wrote:
Any other suggestions for your favorite Chinese restaurants, anywhere
in San Francisco? We have an out of town guest who wants to go out for
a Chinese dinner this week. Thanks!

Best Panda on Balboa near 42nd (4052 Balboa St). A real hole in the wall,
but excellent Peking duck, lobster, crab, etc.
Note that this is a Chinese-Chinese restaurant, not an American Chinese
restaurant, so depending on where the out-of-town guest is from, it might
not be what they are expecting. I always have to be careful with visitors
from the east coast (other than NYC) that are not familiar with
Chinese-Chinese food.

Good advice. Folks from the midwest and parts of the east very often
complain about the Chinese food here in the SF Bay Area, saying that the
food here is not as good as it is back home. And indeed it is not what they
are accustomed as "Chinese food" back home. But give them a year or two
here of eating the Chinese food here and they generally agree that here is
indeed better than back home. I have a theory that the further east you go
from the West Coast, the worst the Chinese cuisine. The worst I've had was
in St Joseph, Missouri. Only the steamed rice was authentic. Niagra Falls
was barely better.

Old March 21st, 2006, 01:52 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.food

"Al Eisner" wrote in message
c.stanford.edu...
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Hatunen wrote:

But do not go into the Green Apple bookstore at Sixth and Clement
before you eat or you risk never getting to the restaurant.

I didn't realize that shanghaing ("shanghaiing"?) was still practiced
in San Francisco.

Not bad, not bad at all...but sounds more like Ulysses' sirens rather than
the good ole San Francisco shanghai treatment.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 12:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.food

FYI, the worst Chinese food my husband had, was in St. Louis. MO. In
NYC and Panama City, FL, I actually had good Chinese food. :-)

Old March 24th, 2006, 02:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

UAL magazine has a " 3 Perfect days" in a city series - one of the cities is San Francisco
NOTE the date - April 2004 -it is an old article - but "sightseeing" doesn't change much.
Skip the hotels to stay at etc and focus on the sightseeing landmarks /schedule

http://198.104.157.122/three/2004/sanfrancisco.htm
Day 3 specifically starts in Union Square.

Lists about 25 cities to choose from on the left

Bobb

"Barb" wrote in message ...
Hi again guys.

I'll be in San Francisco for two full days in June. Does anyone have any
suggestions for the best things to do?

I'm into sightseeing (i.e. photographing anything I'm never likely to see
again for the rest of my life..!), museums and art galleries, interesting
street scenes and buildings, bookshops and libraries - just mooching about
and soaking up the atmosphere really .... I'm not into shopping, clubbing,
etc...

I'll be staying near Union Square, and can walk around some - what's the
best way to get around?

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Barb UK

(PS: I'll probably be asking the same questions for LA as I continue to
research my trip, but that's another question....! :-) )

Old March 25th, 2006, 10:09 AM
KONS KONS is offline
Member

new American in http://www.travelonline.happyhost.org
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

can do this virtually by using " preview.local.live.com " - select SF - then locate the intersection on the SF map

What I did was plot it on maps.yahoo.com and then minimized yahoo as a reference so I could easily find it in the local.live map.

Bobb

"SB" wrote in message oups.com...
Hi Barb UK!

Be sure to stand on the intersection of Powell and California Streets
and look east (in the direction of the Bay Bridge). The view that you
will get of California Street is cool.

Enjoy your holidays.

SB