Visiting San Francisco in July, Any Suggestions?

Old March 24th, 2006, 02:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Visiting San Francisco in July, Any Suggestions?

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
om...
Bryan wrote:
wrote:
San Francisco in July for a few days

I was hoping to hear suggestions on places to visit, sight-see,
tours to take, good restaurants, etc. We would like to take
advantage of good sea food, as well as, the chinese and italian
cuisines of North Beach and Chinatown.

Your best source of advice on where to eat here is the UseNet Group
ba.food. There's a link to it at the first URL below.

The "Don't-miss sights in San Francisco" page
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Sights.html has enough to keep
you busy for nine twelve-hour days.

The best on-line map of San Francisco is an inter-active PDF:
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Grafix/MuniMap.gif. Click on it to get
the *.PDF. I recommend 200-400% magnification. A creation of the San
Francisco Municipal Railway, it includes all of its routes.

The frequently-updated SPECIAL EVENTS page has irregularly-scheduled
music and dances as well as links to seven calendars of
regularly-scheduled dances, a composite of five of them, and one of
dance cruises and events around the world:
http://geocities.com/dancefest/Specials.html#t

Go to Fort Point and watch the surfers

No surfers there. Windsurfers, yes!

As I said, if there is a swell, go watch the surfers at Fort Point.
Watching the windsurfers and kite surfers at Chrissy Field is a great idea,
too, and a better bet at that time of year, but not as good to watch as the
surfers at Fort Point if there's a swell.

Ride the trolley

We haven't trolleys. We have Diesel and electric buses, streetcars,
cable cars, and a subway.

Correct. I meant to say cable car.

Visit the De Young Museum and the Steinhart aquarium.

The aquarium is being rebuilt.

The following are not in San Francisco.

Sausalito

Muir Woods

Your geography is correct, but these are things someone visiting San
Francisco might enjoy doing.
Sausalito, if they are a sailor, gives them access to some sailboats to
charter resulting in a day or afternoon of sailing on San Francisco Bay.
Which reminds me, they might enjoy the Alcatraz tour or a visit to Angel
Island for a picnic and a lightweight hike.
And the redwoods of Muir Woods are always a treat to someone who doesn't
live in redwood country and is visiting San Francisco.

And don't forget catching a San Francisco Giants ball game in July. Get
some good seats beside right field.

-- __________________________________________________ ______________
A San Franciscan in 47.452 mile² San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com

[Content below asterisks not mine.]

..

*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
http://www.SecureIX.com ***

Old March 24th, 2006, 03:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello All,

My wife and I will be visiting San Francisco in July for a few days.
She's never been and I haven't been since I was about 12 years old.
Hotel accomodations have already been booked.

I was hoping to hear suggestions on places to visit, sight-see, tours
to take, good restaurants, etc. We would like to take advantage of good
sea food, as well as, the chinese and italian cuisines of North Beach
and Chinatown. We'll have a car with us, so we'll be able to visit in
the greater metro area too.

Dress warmly. This is NOT a California beach town. Well, it is but ....

Marianne

P.S. Did anyone mention the tour of Alcatraz? It's always popular so maybe
book ahead.

Old March 24th, 2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 01:53:45 GMT, "k"
wrote:

For food, try R&G Lounge for good Chinese seafood (just outside of
Chinatown on Kearny). Also the relatively new Ferry building, where
there are several very nice places to eat.

The ferry building is relatively new? I thought it had been there a long
time.

It's over a hundred years old. But it has been recently remodeled
and refurbished.

Old March 27th, 2006, 01:40 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Chinatown is a popular site & with many good restaurants. And when
you're tired of Chinese food, Columbus Avenue, of North Beach, offers
many Italian restaurants. Jefferson Street, on the Waterfront, has
many fresh seafood restaurants as well as many places to shop. The
Japanese Gardens, in Golden Gate Park, the ruins of the Sutro Baths, &
Coit Tower are some must-sees. And take a stroll along the
Embarcadero, from Fisherman's Wharf to Market Street.

Old March 27th, 2006, 12:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

PorkTeriyaki wrote:
Chinatown is a popular site & with many good restaurants. And when
you're tired of Chinese food, Columbus Avenue, of North Beach, offers
many Italian restaurants. Jefferson Street, on the Waterfront, has
many fresh seafood restaurants as well as many places to shop. The
Japanese Gardens, in Golden Gate Park, the ruins of the Sutro Baths, &
Coit Tower are some must-sees. And take a stroll along the
Embarcadero, from Fisherman's Wharf to Market Street.

Your best source of advice on where to eat here is the inter-active
UseNet Group ba.food. There's also a link to the quite good sfsurvey.

The "Don't-miss sights in San Francisco" page
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Sights.html has enough to keep
you busy for nine twelve-hour days.

The best on-line map of San Francisco is an inter-active PDF:
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Grafix/MuniMap.gif. Click on it to get
the *.PDF. I recommend 200-400% magnification. A creation of the San
Francisco Municipal Railway, it includes all of its routes.

The frequently-updated SPECIAL EVENTS page has irregularly-scheduled
music and dances as well as links to seven calendars of
regularly-scheduled dances, a composite of five of them, and one of
dance cruises and events around the world:
http://geocities.com/dancefest/Specials.html#t

-- __________________________________________________ ______________
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco.

Old March 31st, 2006, 04:21 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 30 Mar 2006 17:05:35 -0800, "PorkTeriyaki"
wrote:

The best source, which i use, is by Googling "San Francisco" & add
"underground" or "alternative". I look for what Big Business neglects
to tell visitors. I also obtained a copy of "The Underground Guide to
San Francisco", by Jennifer Joseph; published by Manic D Press.

A good sourc for "alternative" goings-on in SF is the weekly
newspaper "The Bay Guardian": http://www.sfbg.com/

Scan down the left side for "special issues".

Old March 31st, 2006, 12:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

PorkTeriyaki wrote:
The best source, which i use, is by Googling "San Francisco" & add
"underground" or "alternative". I look for what Big Business neglects
to tell visitors. I also obtained a copy of "The Underground Guide to
San Francisco", by Jennifer Joseph; published by Manic D Press.

Your best source of advice on where to eat here is the inter-active
UseNet Group ba.food. There's a link to on the page in the next
paragraph. There's also a link to the quite good sfSurvey.

Old March 31st, 2006, 01:28 PM
KONS KONS is offline
Member

Visiting all information about USA and CANADa
by travel online http://www.travel.happyhost.org
Old April 10th, 2006, 05:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Icono Clast wrote:

The best on-line map of San Francisco is an inter-active PDF:
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Grafix/MuniMap.gif. Click on it to get
the *.PDF. I recommend 200-400% magnification. A creation of the San
Francisco Municipal Railway, it includes all of its routes.

You might want to know that Muni updated their map, reflecting last year's
route changes. The 2005 version is he
http://transit.511.org/providers/map...8200510805.pdf

.... Martin
Old April 11th, 2006, 12:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Martin Bienwald wrote:
Icono Clast wrote:
The best on-line map of San Francisco is an inter-active PDF:
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Grafix/MuniMap.gif. Click on it to
get the *.PDF. I recommend 200-400% magnification. A creation of
the San Francisco Municipal Railway, it includes all of its
routes.

You might want to know that Muni updated their map, reflecting
last year's route changes. The 2005 version is he
http://transit.511.org/providers/map...8200510805.pdf

Yes, thank you. If I recall correctly, it's dated Admission Day.
These have a file date, here, of September 30:
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Grafix/MuniMap.gif
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Grafix/MuniMap.pdf

The on-site date might differ for a variety of reasons.