London travel questions

Old March 19th, 2006, 09:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default London travel questions

Hello--

My fiancée and I will be traveling to London from the US for our honeymoon
in August. We will be arriving at LHR and departing from LGW (to Rome).

Any suggestions on what part of town to stay in that will minimize travel
expense? I understand that the public transportation system has good access
to both airports, so does it really matter much?

We are looking for accomodations that are basic and yet have AC and a
private bathroom. I have been searching tripadvisor.com, orbitz.com,
sidestep.com, and expedia.com. The reviews at all of these sites seem to
make an educated guess impossible, as there are just as many positive
reviews for most hotels as there are negative. This is to be expected,
given travelers' different requirements and standards. Like I said, we want
cheap, safe, AC, private bathroom, and centrally located (not much, I
know!). Any recommendations? We just want a 'base' from which to operate,
so other amenities are not needed, although internet access would be nice so
we can send pictures back to our families.

Also, I read here that the airports and/or carriers might be limiting the
number of carry-on items. Can someone please direct me to a site where I
can get official info?

Finally, on our way back home from Rome we will have a transfer at LHR. The
layover is 1:30. This will provide adequate time for those unfamiliar with
international travel, yes? Any hints on how to make sure all goes smoothly
for us?

TIA,

steveo

Old March 19th, 2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

My fiancée and I will be traveling to London from the US for our honeymoon
in August. We will be arriving at LHR and departing from LGW (to Rome).

Any suggestions on what part of town to stay in that will minimize travel
expense? I understand that the public transportation system has good access
to both airports, so does it really matter much?

You'll spend more getting around London to see sights than you will
on getting to the airports. There isn't a lot you can do about that.
Just get a hotel near a tube station so you can cut down on travel
*time* - if you can afford to get to London in the first place, that
must matter more. (You see more from buses, and they're cheaper, but
they're very slow, and the timetables and routes are incomprehensible
to anyone but a native).

We are looking for accomodations that are basic and yet have AC and a
private bathroom.

Why on earth would you want air conditioning? London never gets hot
enough for it to make any difference, it'll just be a distracting noise.
(It's a disgusting waste of natural resources *anywhere* - if you can't
handle the climate, live somewhere else).

Old March 19th, 2006, 09:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 13:04:56 -0800, "steveo" wrote:
QGjTf.12783$Uc2.4673@fed1read04

Finally, on our way back home from Rome we will have a transfer at LHR. The
layover is 1:30. This will provide adequate time for those unfamiliar with
international travel, yes? Any hints on how to make sure all goes smoothly
for us?

I would be really worried about such a short layover. The least little thing
goes wrong and you will miss your trans-Atlantic hop.

(change Arabic number to Roman numeral to email)
Old March 19th, 2006, 10:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
My fiancée and I will be traveling to London from the US for our
honeymoon
in August. We will be arriving at LHR and departing from LGW (to Rome).

Any suggestions on what part of town to stay in that will minimize travel
expense? I understand that the public transportation system has good
access
to both airports, so does it really matter much?

You'll spend more getting around London to see sights than you will
on getting to the airports. There isn't a lot you can do about that.
Just get a hotel near a tube station so you can cut down on travel
*time* - if you can afford to get to London in the first place, that
must matter more. (You see more from buses, and they're cheaper, but
they're very slow, and the timetables and routes are incomprehensible
to anyone but a native).

We have money to spend, but not unlimited. This is trip is a little beyond
our means, but we are willing to create some credit card debt for this
occassion which is something we anticipate will be a significant life
experience and a great wedding celebration.

A 20 mile (London center to LHR or LGW) cab ride in the US is quite pricey,
and I don't imagine that the UK is any different. It would be a waste of
money better spent on recreation if viable alternatives exist.

We are looking for accomodations that are basic and yet have AC and a
private bathroom.

Why on earth would you want air conditioning? London never gets hot
enough for it to make any difference, it'll just be a distracting noise.

I stand corrected. I didn't realize the average temperature in London for
August only reaches 21C/70F and that it is one of the rainiest parts of the
year (according to BBC). Indeed, AC will not be of much use there.

Thanks,
steveo

Old March 19th, 2006, 10:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Frank Clarke" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 13:04:56 -0800, "steveo" wrote:
QGjTf.12783$Uc2.4673@fed1read04

Finally, on our way back home from Rome we will have a transfer at LHR.
The
layover is 1:30. This will provide adequate time for those unfamiliar
with
international travel, yes? Any hints on how to make sure all goes
smoothly
for us?

I would be really worried about such a short layover. The least little
thing
goes wrong and you will miss your trans-Atlantic hop.

We are taking BA for both legs of the trip (FCO-LHR, LHR-SEA). That
should reduce the need to move around in the airport, right? Any hints on
how to do our best on ensuring everything goes smoothly?

steveo

Old March 19th, 2006, 10:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Any suggestions on what part of town to stay in that will minimize
travel expense? I understand that the public transportation system has
good access to both airports, so does it really matter much?"

The difference in price between hotels is probably far greater than any
amount you would save on transportation by staying in any specific
place. If you want to save money, focus on finding an inexpensive
hotel, not on the location (anything reasonably close to the center
should be fine locationwise).

"We are looking for accomodations that are basic and yet have AC and a
private bathroom. I have been searching tripadvisor.com, orbitz.com,
sidestep.com, and expedia.com. The reviews at all of these sites seem
to make an educated guess impossible, as there are just as many
positive reviews for most hotels as there are negative."

The hotel recommendations from a website like Time Out or Lonely Planet
or Rough Guides are usually your best bet rather than user submitted
reviews - on an online user-submitted review site the hotel can always
post fake reviews, or a perfectly fine two or three-star hotel can get
a horrible review from someone who was expecting five-star luxury and
fawning service.

"Also, I read here that the airports and/or carriers might be limiting
the number of carry-on items. Can someone please direct me to a site
where I can get official info?"

For that information, you need the airline's website.

"Finally, on our way back home from Rome we will have a transfer at
LHR. The layover is 1:30. This will provide adequate time for those
unfamiliar with international travel, yes?"

Yes, but don't waste time. Heathrow is a huge airport, and the
increase in security has really increased lines and delays, so that
isn't a lot of time. Go right to where you need to go, and don't hang
around duty-free shops or restaurants, etc.

Old March 19th, 2006, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Iceman" wrote in message
oups.com...
"Any suggestions on what part of town to stay in that will minimize
travel expense? I understand that the public transportation system has
good access to both airports, so does it really matter much?"

The difference in price between hotels is probably far greater than any
amount you would save on transportation by staying in any specific
place. If you want to save money, focus on finding an inexpensive
hotel, not on the location (anything reasonably close to the center
should be fine locationwise).

Are there any areas we should avoid for safety reasons?

"We are looking for accomodations that are basic and yet have AC and a
private bathroom. I have been searching tripadvisor.com, orbitz.com,
sidestep.com, and expedia.com. The reviews at all of these sites seem
to make an educated guess impossible, as there are just as many
positive reviews for most hotels as there are negative."

The hotel recommendations from a website like Time Out or Lonely Planet
or Rough Guides are usually your best bet rather than user submitted
reviews - on an online user-submitted review site the hotel can always
post fake reviews, or a perfectly fine two or three-star hotel can get
a horrible review from someone who was expecting five-star luxury and
fawning service.

I will check them out.

"Also, I read here that the airports and/or carriers might be limiting
the number of carry-on items. Can someone please direct me to a site
where I can get official info?"

For that information, you need the airline's website.

So that limitation would be solely a function of carrier and not the airport
itself, as some on this NG were suggesting a few weeks ago? The reason I am
interested is because I am hoping that we can each bring 2 small packs, and
thus eliminate the need for luggage (waiting for it, the potential of it
getting lost, hauling it around, etc.).

"Finally, on our way back home from Rome we will have a transfer at
LHR. The layover is 1:30. This will provide adequate time for those
unfamiliar with international travel, yes?"

Yes, but don't waste time. Heathrow is a huge airport, and the
increase in security has really increased lines and delays, so that
isn't a lot of time. Go right to where you need to go, and don't hang
around duty-free shops or restaurants, etc.

Thanks!

steveo

Old March 19th, 2006, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

steveo wrote:
Hello--

My fiancée and I will be traveling to London from the US for our
honeymoon in August. We will be arriving at LHR and departing from
LGW (to Rome).
Any suggestions on what part of town to stay in that will minimize
travel expense? I understand that the public transportation system
has good access to both airports, so does it really matter much?

Any location in Zone 1, i.e. central London, will have roughly the same
travel cost. The Piccadilly Line of the London Underground ("The Tube")
runs from Heathrow. Gatwick is reached by trains from Victoria, those
run by "Southern" being rather cheaper but slightly slower than "Gatwick
Express". It's easy to get from most hotels to either the Piccadilly
Line or Victoria.

We are looking for accomodations that are basic and yet have AC and
a private bathroom.

"Basic" accommodation will generally not have air conditioning. On
average, the daily maximum temperature in London in August is about 22ºC
(72ºF). You might experience 32ºC (90ºF) particularly in the first week
in August, but don't expect it!

Also, I read here that the airports and/or carriers might be
limiting the number of carry-on items. Can someone please direct
me to a site where I can get official info?

This depends on the airline. Look at your airline's website or ask them
by phone.

Finally, on our way back home from Rome we will have a transfer at
LHR. The layover is 1:30. This will provide adequate time for
those unfamiliar with international travel, yes? Any hints on how
to make sure all goes smoothly for us?

Your BA flight from Rome will go to Terminal 1. Your BA flight to
Seattle will depart from Terminal 4, on the other side of the airport.
I advise you to check with BA that this flight connection will work.
Presumably they will transfer the baggage. You can get from T1 to T4 by
the Heathrow Express train which runs (underground) between Heathrow
Central (T1,2,3) and Heathrow T4 every 15 minutes and is free (unless BA
provide any other method, e.g. coaches).

--
Richard J.
www.stayparis.net

Old March 19th, 2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Karen Walker" wrote in message
[...]

We stayed in Bloomsbury and really liked that area of town. The location
was very convenient -- about halfway between the Russell Square and Euston
tube stops, and walking distance to the British Library and British
Museum. There were lots of restaurants nearby, and we felt very safe
walking at night.

Thanks--sounds like the environment we are looking for.

Our hotel was the Crescent, one of several hotels in a pretty Georgian
building on Cartwright Gardens. The ensuite room was basic but large,
clean and comfortable, and the breakfasts were great. Rate when we were
there (2002) was 85 pounds for an en-suite double.

Have to check this one out, then. What do you mean by "breakfast was
great"? I have to say that I haven't read too many good things about
breakfasts at London hotels.... Then again, I haven't been to too many
hotels anywhere that the breakfast was any good. 'Continental' doesn't do
it for me :-)

steveo

Old March 19th, 2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Richard J." wrote in message
k...
steveo wrote:
[...]

I can see now why AC would not be a standard! I didn't realize it was quite
so cool in the UK even in the summer.

[...]

Thanks for your answers. Big help, especially that last bit. We are going
to try to avoid having any luggage and just use carry-ons (provided 2 per is
acceptable), so that should free up some time for navigating the airport.

steveo