Kenai Peninsula - Seward, Girdwood & Homer - some questions

Old April 6th, 2004, 09:27 PM

Default Kenai Peninsula - Seward, Girdwood & Homer - some questions

Hi,

I will be in the above towns (First down to Seward, then to Homer,
then up to Girdwood) in June. I have found lodging in Homer and
Girdwood that I am happy with, but I can't seem to find good lodging
in Seward.

I'm looking for a nice place in town, private bathroom, hot tub or
nice large bath would be a bonus. Seward Alaska Lodges and Oceanfront
B&B have no availability. The hotels and inns will do, I suppose, in a
pinch but I was looking for something with more character.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Also, looking for recommendations of things to do, places to go &
stuff to eat in Homer/Seward/Girdwood.

Thanks!
Old April 14th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Lifelists

In Homer; Fat Olives is the best. While there take the Water taxi for a
little bird watching or try fishing at the fishing hole.

Old April 14th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Steven M. Scharf

wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I will be in the above towns (First down to Seward, then to Homer,
then up to Girdwood) in June. I have found lodging in Homer and
Girdwood that I am happy with, but I can't seem to find good lodging
in Seward.

I'm looking for a nice place in town, private bathroom, hot tub or
nice large bath would be a bonus. Seward Alaska Lodges and Oceanfront
B&B have no availability. The hotels and inns will do, I suppose, in a
pinch but I was looking for something with more character.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Also, looking for recommendations of things to do, places to go &
stuff to eat in Homer/Seward/Girdwood.

Thanks!

Check out Hotel Seward, http://www.alaskaone.com/hotelseward/
and http://www.millerslandingak.com/cabins_others_drive.htm

I stayed at the Windsong Lodge, outside of town. Not recommended. I don't
think that there are any bargain accomodations in Seward.

As to what to do, there is the Sea-Life Center, Exit Glacier, and of course
the boat trips to Kenai Fjords National Park.

I ate at Oriental Garden in Seward, a Japanese-Chinese restaurant run by
Koreans. Passable. We were the only people in there, since there were no
cruise ships in port, though one couple came in later.

You can find halibut cooked in many different ways in Seward. Lot's of fish
and chips places.

Check out _The Rough Guide to Alaska_. They have some suggestions for
lodging in Seward.

Old April 14th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Peri

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

Hi,

I will be in the above towns (First down to Seward, then to Homer,
then up to Girdwood) in June. I have found lodging in Homer and
Girdwood that I am happy with, but I can't seem to find good lodging
in Seward.

I'm looking for a nice place in town, private bathroom, hot tub or
nice large bath would be a bonus. Seward Alaska Lodges and Oceanfront
B&B have no availability. The hotels and inns will do, I suppose, in a
pinch but I was looking for something with more character.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Also, looking for recommendations of things to do, places to go &
stuff to eat in Homer/Seward/Girdwood.

Thanks!

Can't help with Homer or Girdwood, but we stayed at the Hotel Edgewater in
Seward at the end of an Alaska cruise in 2002, and thought it was just right.
Not fancy, not bare bones, but comfortable, friendly, and fairly well-priced.
(http://www.hoteledgewater.com/).

We enjoyed the Seavey family's "Ididaride" sled dog tour
(http://www.ididaride.com/), as well as an absolutely breathtaking ride into the
Kenai Fjords (we used Kenai Fjords Tours (http://www.alaskaheritagetours.com/1.cfm).

Hope that helps!

~ Peri