Travelling to Rio

Old March 14th, 2004, 04:16 PM
P E T E R P A N

Default Hot in the city: crowded jails and drug economics push Latin American cities to their limit on crime -- Travelling to Rio

As Kurko admits, **** happens a lot to his dumb, miserable life! Kurko
is trying to lure more tourists to Rio to feed his pimping, mugging
businesses!

Kurko is just a stupid, whiny little jerk with no brain and no balls!
Kurko-the-stupid-loser always blames the victims for the cirmes, and
passionately kisses the pepetrators' asses to buy peace!

Kurko wrote in message ...
Lil' Pete!

You've made your point. What's bugging you? **** happens everywhere, my
buddy got
beaten up in Liverpool, England. Should we start looking for statistics of
violence
in there and tell everybody not to go to England anymore?

Face it faq, you ****ed up by being stupid. Stop blaming others on your own
stupidity. Take your responsibility!

Kurko

Old March 14th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Kurko

Fantastic. Its always rather funny when someone who speaks english as
mother
tongue doesn't know how to write his own language. Oh, sorry lil petey is
an AMERICAN, so he really doesn't speak english.

Anyway, I have no business in Rio especially related to pimping or mugging.
In no circumstances I don't approve these crimes, but I've tried to explain
that when you travel you MUST TAKE RESPONIBILITY OF YOUR OWN ACTIONS!!!!

Its funny how lil petey knows me so well that he already is able to point
out that my life is so miserable. Thanks, I think I just go and shoot
myself.

Kurko

Old March 14th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Lise Sedrez

Default Travelling to Rio

Dear Mr. Pan,

I was not really planning to get into a geographic/tourist flame, but it
is really getting annoying.

1 - I am sorry you had a bad experience in Rio. However, we do not keep
our criminals on leashed just to release them on unsuspecting tourists
that decided to stroll at night in dark streets. Pardon my selfishness,
but I wish we could! Unfortunately, Brazilians bear the burden of
criminality much more than tourists, everyday, and not only when they
are on vacations. And we don't bear it gladly. For a person who does not
speak our language, neither lives in our country, to say that we don't
discuss, struggle against and try to combat violence, it is not only
laughable ignorance, it is insulting.

2 – I am not surprised that Brazilians got snippy at you, instead of
sympathetic, if you showed them the same attitude you showed here. I am
afraid that we share with many other nationalities that kind of pride
that makes us very resistant to criticism by foreigners about our
country—even about issues on which we may trash our own government,
among ourselves. It comes to mind that delicious caricature of an
American jingoist played by Kevin Kline, in a Fish Called Wanda: “we
didn’t lose in Vietnam, it was a tie.” My point is that if you want to
have a candid conversation with Brazilians on the problems of the
country, you’d have to approach them with a bit more of sensitiveness.
It may be simply a cultural clash, but high-handed arrogance in Brazil
is considered, well, plain bad manners, and it is not likely to elicit
you a courteous answer.

3 – Finally, if you get so fired up by a relatively mild comment such as
Kurko’s initial post, well, maybe you should avoid not only the dark
streets of Rio, but also the Usenet altogether. Toughen up!

At this point, please feel free to insult Brazilians for what a born and
raised Brazilian told you. Even worse: I was born and (mostly) raised in
Rio de Janeiro city.

I have seen my beloved, gorgeous city change a lot in the last 20
years—unfortunately not always for good. Having somehow a “gringo”
appearance, I have been mistaken by a tourist very often, by thugs as
well as by well-intentioned cariocas who tried to educate me on how to
be safe in the city. I am glad, however, that it never prevented me from
enjoying my city, and I have never let violence steal from me the right
to uncover its beauty and charm. This doesn’t mean I don’t take
precautions, as everybody else does in Rio. For instance, when I take
friends with me to the Feira de São Cristovão, in a not so safe area,
but where you can find delicious northeastern delicacies, I make sure
that we go there in groups of 4 or 5, and that we leave—also
together—with the family crowd, by midnight. I avoid going out at night
alone, but, if I am all by myself, it is better to go home at 7 am than
at 2 am. And there are many perfectly safe places, not too expensive,
where you can bid your time. Just ask a local person, that is what I do
when a go to another country. (I have also travelled rather
extensively, and, except for one bad experience in the US, which I am
the first to admit that resulted from my being naïve, my ask-a-local
methodology works just fine everywhere). In fact, even when I go to a
new place in Rio, I try to talk to a “native” beforehand, asking what is
Ok and what is not ok to do in such place—be it a favela, a new
neighborhood, or only a more isolated patch of forest.

As I current live in a suburb city in the US, where most restaurants
close at 9 pm (even on Saturdays!), I miss the midnight dinners, the
dancing, the chorinho bars at Lapa, the kiosks in the Lagoa Rodrigo de
Freitas, the shows and art galleries in the Cultural Corridor, the
saveiro-tour in Guanabara Bay), the mangrove forests, the Tijuca urban
forest, the beaches (each one with a different personality), the
peregrination for used book in "sebos" in downtown Rio, the juice
stands—with oh so many exotic fruit names--, climbing the SugarLoaf (it
is not so difficult, and there are several alternative tourist agencies
that can take you there), the hidden treasures that are the Museu da
Chácara do Céu or the Museu da imagem do inconsciente, the incredible
garden of Burle Marx, the cosmopolitan bars in the Zona Sul and the
little-town feeling in some suburbs… I could go on and on.

Again, I am sorry that you had a bad experience in Rio; but I am even
sorrier for you, that you allowed that experience to blind you for
everything Rio could have offered you.

Best,

Lise

Old March 14th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Lise Sedrez

Dear Mr. Pan,

I was not really planning to get into a geographic/tourist flame, but it
is really getting annoying.

1 - I am sorry you had a bad experience in Rio. However, we do not keep
our criminals on leashes just to release them on unsuspecting tourists
who decide to stroll at night in dark streets. Pardon my selfishness,
but I wish we could! Unfortunately, Brazilians bear the burden of
criminality much more than tourists do, everyday, and not only when they
are on vacations. And we don't bear it gladly. For a person who does not
speak our language, neither lives in our country, to say that we don't
discuss, struggle against or try to fight against violence, it is not
only laughable ignorance, it is insulting.

2 – I am not surprised that Brazilians got snippy at you, instead of
sympathetic, if you showed them the same attitude you did here. I am
afraid that we share with many other nationalities that kind of
"national pride" that makes us very resistant to criticism by foreigners
about our country—even on issues about which we may trash our own
[...]

to discover its beauty and charm. This doesn’t mean I don’t take

Old March 14th, 2004, 06:56 PM
João Luiz

P E T E R P A N schrieb:

This stupid, nasty guy JohnM was not able to provide any information
or any arguments to defend his interests in Brazil,

Actually, he IS ABLE to provide that kind of information, and maybe in
more detail than you might ever be able to absorb:

http://www.fetchbook.co.uk/search_18...b_reviews.html

JL

Old March 14th, 2004, 07:00 PM
João Luiz

Kurko schrieb:

Fantastic. Its always rather funny when someone who speaks english as
mother
tongue doesn't know how to write his own language. Oh, sorry lil petey is
an AMERICAN, so he really doesn't speak english.

Anyway, I have no business in Rio especially related to pimping or mugging.
In no circumstances I don't approve these crimes,

Murphy, o Vingador Implacável, ataca de novo. :-)

JL

Old March 14th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Kurko

Lil petey!

1st: My old saggy assed wife wont be raped, because she isn't that stupid
that
she'd walk around the ****in' Copacabana at 02.00 am!

2nd: If my old wife is so old and saggy assed, who in hell would even think
raping her? Especially in Copacabana there are ****load of BEAUTIFUL young
girls, no need to rape old saggy assed women.

Anyway petey, I think that you were hunting some "girlies" who actually are
hung like donkeys. They do roam in the less lit areas in Copacabana. Too
bad
you ran into "bad boys" before you found your own lover boy.

Good luck!

Kurko

On 14 Mar 2004 07:55:56 -0800, P E T E R P A N
wrote:

Everyone should see clearly that this dumb jerk Kurko is acting like a
stupid, uneducated loser with his nonsense arguments and his dumb
accusations!

If Kurko's old wife got raped up her big, sagging *ss by a bunch of
drug lords, Kurko will immediately blame his wife for the crime like
any dumb loser would!

Kurko is just dumb trash!

Kurko wrote in message
Ok little fairy.

Thank you for your misinformation, now you may crawl back to the hole
you came from. NOBODY here needs your opinion anymore. We know that your
enormous EGO
got hurt while you were visiting Rio, but try to cope with it GROW UP
ok.

Kurko

Old March 14th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Kurko

Sorry, I don't quite understand.

I don't speak Portuguese nor read is fluently :-(

Kurko

Old March 14th, 2004, 08:31 PM
clint

I find downtown Rio is similair to downtown Detroit(with palm Trees) No one
wants to go there either!
news

Old March 14th, 2004, 08:35 PM
João Luiz

Kurko schrieb:

Sorry, I don't quite understand.

I don't speak Portuguese nor read is fluently :-(

Sorry for the lack of explanation.

It was about one of the Murphy's Laws applied to the usenet stating
that, whenever someone criticizes another poster's bad writing/spel-
ling/grammar, s/he will make a horrible writing/spelling/grammar
mistake on the next line or paragraph.

JL

Another one (from the experience of reading some newsgroups, I know this
joke is strongly based on reality):

Q: How many usenet newsgroup subscribers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: 1,331:

1 to change the light bulb and to post to the newsgroup that the light bulb
has been changed.
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb
could have been changed differently.
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.
27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs.
53 to flame the spell checkers.
156 to write to the list administrator complaining about the light bulb
discussion and its inappropriateness to this newsgroup.
41 to correct spelling in the spelling/grammar flames.
109 to post that this list is not about light bulbs and to please take this
exchange to alt.lite.bulb.
203 to demand that cross posting to alt.grammar, alt.spelling and
alt.punctuation about changing light bulbs be stopped.
111 to defend the posting to this list saying that we are all use light bulbs
and therefore the posts are relevant to this newsgroup.
306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy
the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs works best for this
technique, and what brands are faulty.
27 to post URLs where one can see examples of different light bulbs.
14 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly, and to post corrected URLs.
3 to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to this list
which makes light bulbs relevant to this list.
33 to concatenate all posts to date, then quote them including all headers and
footers, and then add "me too.".
12 to post to the list that they are unsubscribing because they cannot handle
the light bulb controversy.
19 to quote the "me too's" to say "me three.".
4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ.
1 to propose new alt.change.lite.bulb newsgroup.
47 to say this is just what alt.physics.cold_fusion was meant for, leave it
there.
143 votes for alt.change.lite.bulb.