Passport Renewal question

Old January 24th, 2005, 07:30 PM
koneko

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , A Mate
says...
EVERY airline asks for a passport number for international

travel!!!

This is the first time I hear this and I travel a lot.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal

Thank you *everyone* for your suggestions, I definitely appreciate it!
I have written down all your advice.

My mother does *not* need to give her passport number for an airline
ticket. (it's for an exhibition ticket.) It's an interesting issue
though, how things with security have changed. I wonder why more
countries don't do this for international travel? Probably b/c
passport numbers do change, LOL! =)

Thank you again, and take care!

Old January 24th, 2005, 07:39 PM
koneko

Bob Myers wrote:

Hi, again, koneko, in a different thread!

good to see you again, Bob M! =)

Don't worry about the change - as has been mentioned by
others, you will still have her OLD passport to show along
with the new one, or if you don't want to carry both, just
make a copy of the photo and information page of the old
one before you go (it will show the expiration date, so it will
be clear why the current passport is different). But this
brings up another point - it is always a good idea to carry
copies of these pages from your CURRENT passports,
separate from the passports themselves - such copies will
be very helpful in obtaining replacement passports from the
local embassy or consulate, should your passport ever be
lost or stolen. Other copies you should have with you include
prescriptions (not only so that they can be refilled if needed,
but having the prescription itself or at least a letter from your
doctor listing the medications you have been prescribed will
be helpful should there be any questions about your medicines
when going through customs) and, of course, a list of the
numbers of your traveler's checks (so if THEY are lost or
stolen, you know what to report to the company that issued
them).

Thank you for the info! After reading this, I ran over to the xerox
machine and made 2 copies of my passport and filed them away! I'll be
sure to visit my physician before leaving and have her write me a
letter with my meds written.

One trick I've been using recently - if you have a high-res
digital camera that will shoot clear close-ups, you can
photograph your documents in advance, and then carry
those photos on a small USB "memory stick" sort of
storage - they can quickly be printed out at practically any
hotel, internet cafe, etc., if needed, and you can easily
carry such a thing on your person (even around your neck
on a string!).

that is such an awesome idea!! my brother has some awesome equipment,
so I'll ask him for his help! =) Thank you again!!!

Old January 24th, 2005, 07:41 PM
koneko

Alan Street wrote:

An even better way is to store them on a password protected area of a
website. That way you can get to them even if you lose the memory
stick, etc (after all, if you could lose your passport or wallet, who
says you might not also lose the memory stick).

Thank you for a wonderful idea! I will probably do this as well!
Thank you for the great advice!!

Old January 25th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Alan Street

In article . com,
koneko wrote:

€ Alan Street wrote:

€ An even better way is to store them on a password protected area of a
€ website. That way you can get to them even if you lose the memory
€ stick, etc (after all, if you could lose your passport or wallet, who
€ says you might not also lose the memory stick).

€ Thank you for a wonderful idea! I will probably do this as well!
€ Thank you for the great advice!!

You're very welcome.
Old January 26th, 2005, 06:15 PM
John Doe

EVERY airline asks for a passport number for international travel!!!

As of my last count (I have a data base I use to keep track of frequent
flyer miles) I have been on 630 international flights in the last 15
years. I don't recall ever having been asked for a passport number.

On my last trip overseas, and my first since 9/11/01, I was asked for my
passport at my airport of origin, and again at LAX, before I could board any
flights.

It makes sense to do so. I seem to recall reading once that airlines faced
severe penalties if they allowed a person to fly to a foreign country when that
person did not have a valid passport.
Old January 27th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Tchiowa

John Doe wrote:
EVERY airline asks for a passport number for international

travel!!!

As of my last count (I have a data base I use to keep track of

frequent
flyer miles) I have been on 630 international flights in the last 15
years. I don't recall ever having been asked for a passport number.

On my last trip overseas, and my first since 9/11/01, I was asked for

my
passport at my airport of origin, and again at LAX, before I could

board any
flights.

It makes sense to do so. I seem to recall reading once that airlines

faced
severe penalties if they allowed a person to fly to a foreign country

when that
person did not have a valid passport.

Not penalties, as far as I know. But they are responsible for you. So
if they fly you somewhere and you don't have the proper visa or
passport, they are responsible to take care of you then fly you back,
at their expense. So they do indeed check. But they aren't recording
your passport number. And, again, the original post was about being
asked for a passport number when you buy a ticket, not a boarding
issue.