Prague/Budapest rail travel question

Old October 26th, 2008, 03:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Scott Gordo

Default Prague/Budapest rail travel question

I need to set up tickets for overnight round trip Prague to Budapest
for two. RailEurope was almost $600 for a 6 bunk sleeper car.

Questions:
1. Are there any other cheaper train options?
2. They're going to mail the tickets to us, which seems ridiculous. No
credit card kiosks at the station?
Old October 28th, 2008, 06:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

Scott Gordo wrote:
I need to set up tickets for overnight round trip Prague to Budapest
for two. RailEurope was almost $600 for a 6 bunk sleeper car.

Questions:
1. Are there any other cheaper train options?
2. They're going to mail the tickets to us, which seems ridiculous. No
credit card kiosks at the station?

I do not understand completely
I think flying will be a cheaper option to using a train.
Are you going through Vienna or through Bratislava ??
as far as I rememebr. it should not take you more than 6 hours for the
complete trip.
600 dollars sounds ridicolously pricey to me. ( even for 6 persons )
Normally Austrians send tickets per mail.
But you can buy yr tickets at any train station with yr credit card.

Old October 28th, 2008, 08:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 08:41:25 -0700 (PDT), Scott Gordo
wrote:

I need to set up tickets for overnight round trip Prague to Budapest
for two. RailEurope was almost $600 for a 6 bunk sleeper car.

Questions:
1. Are there any other cheaper train options?
2. They're going to mail the tickets to us, which seems ridiculous. No
credit card kiosks at the station?

Your first lesson is: Do NOT look to RailEurope for train fares
in Europe and do not buy their tickets. Their fares are very
overpriced and they offer limited options.

The six-bunk sleeper is what is called a "couchette"; normally
six people, who may or may not know each other, will share the
bunks. $600 is the cost for the whole room, but it still seems to
high.

Are you sure you want a sleeper? It's only about a seven hour
trip. There's a direct train departing Prague at 07:33 and
arriving Budpest at 14:32.

There are other direct trains 11:13-18:32, 15:33-22:32, etc.

The direct night trains are 21:53-07:03 for a travel time of
0:10 and 00:30-08:32 for a travel time of 8:02.

If you don't take a night train, there is little reason to buy
your tickets before arriving in Prague. If you do want a night
train you should be OK if you arrive in Prague a few days before
your departure.

To search for scheds use the German DeutscheBahn page at
http://bahn.hafas.de

Unfortunately, the Czech railway website totally baffles me, even
the English version. But see http://www.cd.cz/ if you like.

http://www.jizdenka.cz/(S(p1rala55my...T.aspx?Lang=69
indicates the fare from Prague to Budapest to be only EUR 47.50.
(Don't click on that URL; cut and paste it from http to Lang=69
into your browser).

The much easier to use website for the Hungarian railways
indicates that fare to be quite in line for travel from Budapest
to Prague, so RailEurope is really outrageous.
http://elvira.mav-start.hu/elvira.dll/xslms/

Old October 28th, 2008, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Joseph Coulter[_4_]

Hatunen wrote in
:

To search for scheds use the German DeutscheBahn page at
http://bahn.hafas.de

Unfortunately, the Czech railway website totally baffles me, even
the English version. But see http://www.cd.cz/ if you like.

http://www.jizdenka.cz/(S(p1rala55my...T.aspx?Lang=69
indicates the fare from Prague to Budapest to be only EUR 47.50.
(Don't click on that URL; cut and paste it from http to Lang=69
into your browser).

The much easier to use website for the Hungarian railways
indicates that fare to be quite in line for travel from Budapest
to Prague, so RailEurope is really outrageous.
http://elvira.mav-start.hu/elvira.dll/xslms/

I don't know about the quality of the Hungarian rail stock, but when we
arrived at Munich from Prague all it took was Czech train to explain how
we felt to the hotel staff. No A/C, little service I would not want to
be on the night version of that train unless I was trying to relive
WWII.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Old October 28th, 2008, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

I don't know about the quality of the Hungarian rail stock, but when
we arrived at Munich from Prague all it took was Czech train to explain
how we felt to the hotel staff. No A/C, little service I would not want
to be on the night version of that train unless I was trying to relive
WWII.

How long ago was that? I was on a pretty awful night train from
Budapest to Praha in the early 90s, but the trains I got between
Praha, Brno and Bratislava last year were fine - a bit slow, but
much better value than British ones.

Timetable information in both Czechia and Slovakia is difficult
to figure out, though.

One small tip: DO NOT attempt to buy a ticket in Budapest at either
Nyugati or Keleti station unless you absolutely *love* queueing.
You can get tickets to anywhere at Deli palyaudvar and it's much
less hassle.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====