vietnam

Old May 16th, 2007, 06:43 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

Default vietnam

"Markku Grönroos" ha scritto nel messaggio
ti.fi...

"tile" kirjoitti
.. .

"Markku Grönroos" ha scritto nel messaggio
i.fi...

"tile" kirjoitti

"Markku Grönroos" ha scritto nel messaggio
i.fi...

"tile" kirjoitti
.. .

"PeterL" ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
On May 15, 9:44 am, "tile" wrote:
i tried to get a vietnam visa in Kiev.
It was a shocking experience.
The person in charge was so abusive could speak only russian or
vietnamese

Er, OK. You are in Russia trying to get a visa for Vietnam. What
other language should he speak?

Kiev is not in Russia.. or am I mistaken ??
No, you are not. The point is however, that they speak Russian there.

do you mean to say that the official language is Russian ??

I mean to say that they speak Russian there.

they speak russian as you might speak english.

Well, you have it all wrong.

It was compulsory till a few years ago. ( end of former Sovier Union )
But it is not the official language.

This is not an argument. Regardless of what is official and what is not,
folks in Kiev speak Russian.

yes. the same way in Holland people would speak german or english

Old May 16th, 2007, 09:29 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
palmer

I don't know from where you are but you compleetely don't understand wher
you are.
Ukraine is independant country but only from 15 yaers. Official language is
Ukrainian but only in official state institutions. afaik Vietnam Embassy is
not Ukrainian official institution and they can speak any language they
like. They chose Russian since everybody speaks this language in Ukraine
even those who can speak Ukrainian.

Quite another issue is the behaviour of Vietnamese clercs. Please remember
that Vietnam is still COMUNIST country so don't expect to much from
Communist party members whom personel of Embassy surely is. Anyway you can
claim it to the consul.

rgds,

well. Kiev is no in Russia.. and I expect people of an embassy at least to
be polite. The Indonesian Officer was a real gentlemen. could speak a
flawless english.. and accepted Euros instead of Dollars.
why couldn't I get a Vietnam Visa in about 10 minutes as I did in the
Indonesian Embassy ??

Old May 16th, 2007, 11:44 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

"palmer" ha scritto nel messaggio
[...]

this is waht I will do. I will write to the Ambassador or Consul. even if I
guess it will bring me nowhere.

I appreciated that Ukraina is an independent country now. and for me it is
very good not to need any visa.
Prices are sososo.. not so cheap as one would expect

Old May 16th, 2007, 02:56 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"tile" kirjoitti
.. .

It was compulsory till a few years ago. ( end of former Sovier Union )
But it is not the official language.

This is not an argument. Regardless of what is official and what is not,
folks in Kiev speak Russian.

yes. the same way in Holland people would speak german or english

You have it quite wrong:

The Hromadska Dumka Sociological Studies Centre carried out a sociological
survey to determine what the language situation in Kyiv was.

The question What language do you use in everyday life was given the
following answers:

mostly Russian — 52 percent

both Russian and Ukrainian

in equal measure — 32 percent

mostly Ukrainian — 14 percent

exclusively Ukrainian — 4.3 percent

Old May 16th, 2007, 02:59 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

[...]

maybe the people they interviewed belonged to the Russian minority.. ( I
would like to know the percentage of rusisans living in Ukraina )

Old May 16th, 2007, 03:07 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"tile" kirjoitti

[...]

About 30% of the residents of Kiev are "ethnic Russians". I don't find it
surprising that the staff in the consulate wanted to hang you high..

Old May 16th, 2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

[...]

do you think they expect tourists to speak the local language ??

I called the Indonesian embassy in Sweden.. and they not only were very
kind.. told me to get a visa in Kiev..
but also spoke a very good english.

Or do you think they were authorized to think I would understand swedish ??

Old May 16th, 2007, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
bob

well. Kiev is no in Russia.. and I expect people of an embassy at least to
be polite. The Indonesian Officer was a real gentlemen. could speak a
flawless english.. and accepted Euros instead of Dollars.
why couldn't I get a Vietnam Visa in about 10 minutes as I did in the
Indonesian Embassy ??

Ah, so it would have made more sense to you if the Vietnamese consulate in
Kiev offered service in Vietnamese and English, rather than Vietnamese and
Russian? Huh?

Old May 16th, 2007, 06:36 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

"bob" ha scritto nel messaggio
well. Kiev is no in Russia.. and I expect people of an embassy at least
to be polite. The Indonesian Officer was a real gentlemen. could speak a
flawless english.. and accepted Euros instead of Dollars.
why couldn't I get a Vietnam Visa in about 10 minutes as I did in the
Indonesian Embassy ??

Ah, so it would have made more sense to you if the Vietnamese consulate in
Kiev offered service in Vietnamese and English, rather than Vietnamese and
Russian? Huh?

English is widely accepted as international language
I expect cultured people to be able to speak english and I expect consulates
employees to be cultured people
( and polite )

What kind of language would you be expected to be spoken to in .. let us
say.. Laos or Mongolia ??
Finland or Paraguay ??

Old May 16th, 2007, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article i,
says...
The Hromadska Dumka Sociological Studies Centre carried out a sociological
survey to determine what the language situation in Kyiv was.

The question What language do you use in everyday life was given the
following answers:

mostly Russian ? 52 percent

both Russian and Ukrainian

in equal measure ? 32 percent

mostly Ukrainian ? 14 percent

exclusively Ukrainian ? 4.3 percent

From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine#Demographics

"According to the Ukrainian Census of 2001, ethnic Ukrainians make up
77.8% of the population. Other significant ethnic groups are Russians
(17.3%), Belarusians (0.6%), Moldovans (0.5%), Crimean Tatars (0.5%),
Bulgarians (0.4%), Hungarians (0.3%), Romanians (0.3%), Poles (0.3%),
Jews (0.2%), Armenians (0.2%), Greeks (0.2%) and Tatars (0.2%)"

It's entirely possible that those 17% Russians are concentrated in the
big cities and especially the capital.
--

Alfred Molon