Voted Superb Gastropub

Old August 28th, 2008, 09:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Voted Superb Gastropub

Hello,

I'm curious if anyone can tell me how popular the Gastropub concept
(ie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastropub ) is in Great Britain ?
Is this concept catching on in America ?

I read that this was one of the rising new trends, and it seems that
there is at least one in New York City, as per the link:

http://nymag.com/nymetro/food/review...round/n_10089/

And at least one forum dedicated to the subject at:

http://voted-supreme.com/gastropub/

I love pub life but must admit it's nice to hear that the food might
be getting a facelift.

Cheers!
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Terry wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 18:07:05 +1000, wrote
(in article
):

Hello,

I'm curious if anyone can tell me how popular the Gastropub concept
(ie:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastropub ) is in Great Britain ?
Is this concept catching on in America ?

I read that this was one of the rising new trends, and it seems that
there is at least one in New York City, as per the link:

http://nymag.com/nymetro/food/review...round/n_10089/

And at least one forum dedicated to the subject at:

http://voted-supreme.com/gastropub/

I love pub life but must admit it's nice to hear that the food might
be getting a facelift.

Cheers!

I doubt that anything much has happened to the food. It's England, after all.

You'd have to have lived under a stone (or maybe more correctly, under a
bridge?) in England in the last couple of decades not to have
appreciated an improvement in food. Some so-called gastro-pubs are
indeed very good. But, 'traditional' pubs are often very good too. What
I'd avoid are the chains (say, Wetherspoons) where the food is mostly
delivered frozen- though it is cheap.

A traditional pub with real 'home-made' food can be excellent. Most
recently, we were here- and I recommend it. Friendly, and good choice of
local ales too.

http://www.tunnelendinn.com/

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:42:54 +0100, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Terry wrote:

[...]

I have noticed that in the last 20 years most pub steaks are grossly
overcooked no matter how you order them.

I hardly 'rarely' order steaks in the UK (or elsewhere), so can't really
judge. However, in the chain I specifically didn't recommend
(Wetherspoons) I've been to them on whatever night they have a deal on
steak (Tuesday?) and got the medium-rare I asked for.

However... on what I have been able to notice, I think that anything you
ask for in the UK will be one notch up (at least) on the continent.
Oscar likes medium (as it is in the UK and the US) and finds that on the
continent he's better asking for bien cuit or similar.

In the pub, what's happened when you told them it wasn't right? I've
done it in a restaurant (not with beef, but with a tuna steak that
wasn't rare in the middle) and they've replaced it.

Old August 28th, 2008, 11:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:58:43 +0100, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

[]
In the pub, what's happened when you told them it wasn't right? I've
done it in a restaurant (not with beef, but with a tuna steak that
wasn't rare in the middle) and they've replaced it.

SFA.

Oh, dear. I take it you never returned?

Old August 28th, 2008, 11:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Aug 28, 9:07 am, wrote:
Hello,

I'm curious if anyone can tell me how popular the Gastropub concept
(ie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastropub) is in Great Britain ?
Is this concept catching on in America ?

I read that this was one of the rising new trends, and it seems that
there is at least one in New York City, as per the link:

http://nymag.com/nymetro/food/review...round/n_10089/

And at least one forum dedicated to the subject at:

http://voted-supreme.com/gastropub/

I love pub life but must admit it's nice to hear that the food might
be getting a facelift.

Cheers!

As David says, the food in (some, many) UK pubs has improved
immeasurably in the last 20 years. For example, here's one I've been
to a couple of times recently:

http://www.anchornayland.co.uk/index2.htm

But it is also true that the gastropub concept has become a bit of a
cliche, with many pubs that don't know the first thing about food
latching onto it in an attempt to perk up declining sales. In a sense,
rather than being a "rising trend", it's becoming a bit tired.
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:37:17 +0100, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:24:53 +0100,
(David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:58:43 +0100,
(David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:
[]
In the pub, what's happened when you told them it wasn't right? I've
done it in a restaurant (not with beef, but with a tuna steak that
wasn't rare in the middle) and they've replaced it.

SFA.

Oh, dear. I take it you never returned?

believe it or not we did and after stressing that I didn't want a burnt
steak this time, I got one that was not only burnt but cut down the middle
too, where somebody had checked. It's something to do with the place
employing 16 year olds on minimum salaries as chefs.

It sounds really bad. Maybe Wetherspoon's employ Polish chefs on minimum
wage? That said, I didn't think the steaks were very good there, just
cooked right...

The place was very good last year.

Maybe their chef went to Wetherspoon's?

Old August 28th, 2008, 12:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl[_3_]

wrote in message
On Aug 28, 9:07 am, wrote:
[...]

I went to a terrific place somwhere near Waterloo in June .... The Anchor &
Hope, 36 The Cut. Excellent food (lots of offal!), excellent beer, excellent
ambience, nice customers. I'm sure it's doomed.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old August 28th, 2008, 12:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:58:43 +0100,
(David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:
[]
In the pub, what's happened when you told them it wasn't right? I've
done it in a restaurant (not with beef, but with a tuna steak that
wasn't rare in the middle) and they've replaced it.

SFA.

Oh, dear. I take it you never returned?

believe it or not we did and after stressing that I didn't want a
burnt steak this time, I got one that was not only burnt but cut
down the middle too, where somebody had checked. It's something to
do with the place employing 16 year olds on minimum salaries as
chefs.

It sounds really bad. Maybe Wetherspoon's employ Polish chefs on minimum
wage? That said, I didn't think the steaks were very good there, just
cooked right...

The place was very good last year.

Maybe their chef went to Wetherspoon's?

"BBC1 20:00 Rogue Restaurants Matt Allwright and Anita Rani expose a
number of serious food hygiene contraventions by a major UK pub group,
including leftover food being reheated and resold, and chefs who are happy
to serve up food that's been dropped on a dirty floor. They also meet the
landlord who deals with mice by letting a cat loose in the kitchen"

I can't wait )

Yum!

I think I can wait, as I can't stand the format of the programme or the
presenters. I'll skip through it on the iplayer to get the 'juicy'
bits...

Old August 28th, 2008, 06:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
yaeedyaeegiisss[_2_]

wrote:

I'm curious if anyone can tell me how popular the Gastropub concept
(ie:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastropub ) is in Great Britain ?

Quite popular, maybe even too popular, given the gastropub-wannabes
that have sprung up in the wake of the trend.

Is this concept catching on in America ?

In some places, yep. Mostly bigger cities that have a decent pub scene.
You're not likely to find a gastropub - or at least a pub with very good
food - in Lumberton, Mississippi. You'd do far better in, say, New
York, Chicago, or Seattle.

I read that this was one of the rising new trends, and it seems that
there is at least one in New York City, as per the link:

http://nymag.com/nymetro/food/review...round/n_10089/

Right, a review from _2004_ is a great place to find a "rising new
trend." Don't get out much?

And at least one forum dedicated to the subject at:

http://voted-supreme.com/gastropub/

With a whopping five postings! And you just "accidentally" found it,
right?

I love pub life but must admit it's nice to hear that the food might
be getting a facelift.

It's old news. It also makes the Belgians smile; some of that country's
pubs/cafes have superb food, and they've been doing that for far longer
than any silly trend in the UK and North America. And I'll be back to
enjoy some of those offerings in just a few weeks. Joy and happiness.