Copyright Release For Cruise Photos

Old May 13th, 2010, 04:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Carol Eskra

Default Copyright Release For Cruise Photos

Last month I sailed on a 3 generation cruise on Princess. The family
spent approx. $600.00 purchasing photos onboard. My sister has a
birthday in 2 weeks so thought I would like to copy 2 of my photos at
WalMart. Wrong! Need a release from the cruise line. Copyright is not
mentioned anywhere on the back of the photo. I was unaware that it is
illegal to copy a professional photo, unless you have permission to do
so.

Old May 13th, 2010, 05:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr.[_5_]

"Carol Eskra" wrote in message
Last month I sailed on a 3 generation cruise on Princess. The family
spent approx. $600.00 purchasing photos onboard. My sister has a
birthday in 2 weeks so thought I would like to copy 2 of my photos at
WalMart. Wrong! Need a release from the cruise line. Copyright is not
mentioned anywhere on the back of the photo. I was unaware that it is
illegal to copy a professional photo, unless you have permission to do
so.

Not that I would want to suggest something illegal but
"some people" would find a decent ink jet printer, run the photos through
the copier at the "best" setting and use glossy photo paper to print the
copy on.

But, it is illegal to copy their photos.

Old May 13th, 2010, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
linnie

Jr. wrote:
"Carol Eskra" wrote in message
Last month I sailed on a 3 generation cruise on Princess. The family
spent approx. $600.00 purchasing photos onboard. My sister has a
birthday in 2 weeks so thought I would like to copy 2 of my photos at
WalMart. Wrong! Need a release from the cruise line. Copyright is not
mentioned anywhere on the back of the photo. I was unaware that it is
illegal to copy a professional photo, unless you have permission to do
so.

Not that I would want to suggest something illegal but
"some people" would find a decent ink jet printer, run the photos through
the copier at the "best" setting and use glossy photo paper to print the
copy on.

But, it is illegal to copy their photos.

Really?
Oooops!
-Linnie
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Carol
Eskra wrote:

Last month I sailed on a 3 generation cruise on Princess. The family
spent approx. $600.00 purchasing photos onboard. My sister has a
birthday in 2 weeks so thought I would like to copy 2 of my photos at
WalMart. Wrong! Need a release from the cruise line. Copyright is not
mentioned anywhere on the back of the photo. I was unaware that it is
illegal to copy a professional photo, unless you have permission to do
so.

It is not legal to copy any photo without permission. You can only copy
your own photo. All photos are copyrighted. Not just professional
photos.

Places like Walmart have a strict policy about it because they don't
want to be sued by the copyright holder. Some have been unable to copy
their own photos at Walmart, Walgreens etc. because the clerk thinks
the photos looked too good to be amateur!

--
Charles
Old May 14th, 2010, 05:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RayC

Carol Eskra wrote:
Last month I sailed on a 3 generation cruise on Princess. The family
spent approx. $600.00 purchasing photos onboard. My sister has a
birthday in 2 weeks so thought I would like to copy 2 of my photos at
WalMart. Wrong! Need a release from the cruise line. Copyright is not
mentioned anywhere on the back of the photo. I was unaware that it is
illegal to copy a professional photo, unless you have permission to do
so.

I have always put my photos on disc and have never been asked where they
came from when I get prints made up. Right or wrong, Walgreens, Costco,
Walmart have never said a thing ... just cashed my check!

--
Ray Contreras
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Seehorse Video

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Carol
Eskra wrote:

[...]

Hi Charles,

I own a video production company and we frequently are called for permission
to duplicate some of our product. In most cases, we authorize the copy. If
it's a product we created and market for profit, we refuse, just like the
music companies. My brother in law wanted me to copy a CD of Jack Nicklaus
golf instruction for several of his friends. We were unwilling to risk the
$10,000 fine and refused. Jack doesn't want me to give away his product.
The ship photos seem small potatoes, the chance of being caught is small,
but Wal-Mart can't risk it. Charles solution takes the original producer
out of the loop and puts the copyright violation on you, not Wal-Mart. You
can choose whether you risk the fine and the slim chance of getting caught.
It might be interesting to ask a ship photog if they make any money from
copies ordered later. Do they even keep an original from which to make
copies?

Harry Cooper

Old May 14th, 2010, 01:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"Seehorse Video" wrote:
a I own a video production company and we frequently are called for
[...]

The OP might want to contact the cruise line. RCI and Celebrity
have the way to get the copyright release right on their website. I
can't find anything for Princess or Carnival.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Old May 14th, 2010, 02:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Fri, 14 May 2010 06:14:21 -0400, "Seehorse Video"
wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message
id...
In article , Carol
Eskra wrote:

[...]

I make up a calendar every year with pictures of the activities of
family members during the year. In 1998, my kids got together to
reproduce a photo that I had taken of them in 1978. They went to JC
Penny which was where my SIL worked. They also had a photo taken of
all the grandchildren. When I wanted to use the photo for the
calendar, they gave me permission because they said that they did not
have a product like a calendar to sell me.

I used to just photograph the photos taken on the cruise ship and not
buy them, but I noticed with amusement that photography is now
forbidden in the photo shop area.
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

"Seehorse Video" wrote:

The ship photos seem small potatoes, the chance of being caught is
small,
but Wal-Mart can't risk it.

Exactly. Wal-Mart does not want to risk it so it issues a broad rule to
it's clerks that some enforce zealously. If it looks at all pro they
won't copy it. I doubt that the cruise line or the ships picture takers
will come after anyone or that they care much if someone purchased a
photo onboard copies it for personal, non commercial use after they get
home.

There are photographers who would sue, for example wedding photographers
have been known to sue in a heartbeat if they find out the wedding
photos have been copied. Wal-Mart likely does not give the clerks any
leeway with photos they copy and the clerks do not want to be fired.

I think what the ships care about are people who filch the photos put on
display and the cheapskates who take pictures of the photos on display
instead of buying the photo.

--
Charles
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

On 14 May 2010 18:02:36 GMT, Charles
wrote:

"Seehorse Video" wrote:

[...]

Most photographers I know make sure they stamp their info on the back
just so there's no doubt that the copyright belongs to them. It isn't
required but makes it a lot easier to collect damages if there is any
unauthorized reproduction. You will notice that in many publications
you will see the photographer's name vertically alongside the photo.
In the case of cruise ships they probably have an arrangement with
their photographers that the copyright belongs to the cruise lines
instead of the photographer. This is fine, particularly if the
photographer is working for the people who market the photographs (the
cruise line) and they have agreed to it in advance.
Thumper