Thieves and Pick-Pockets

Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Default Thieves and Pick-Pockets

Would not have to worry about a computer,never take one on a cruise or
other vacation,leave all my cares at home

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Seehorse Video

"Surfer E2468" wrote in message
Would not have to worry about a computer,never take one on a cruise or
other vacation,leave all my cares at home

cruise lover(~~~~

But, Surfer, have all your cares left you alone? Or are people depending
on you? Do you want to be unnecessary? Are you walking a dangerous line?

Harry Cooper

Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Seehorse Video wrote:
"Surfer E2468" wrote in message
Would not have to worry about a computer,never take one on a cruise or
other vacation,leave all my cares at home

cruise lover(~~~~

But, Surfer, have all your cares left you alone? Or are people depending
on you? Do you want to be unnecessary? Are you walking a dangerous line?

Harry, when we cruise we leave our computers at home and our cell phones
are turned off. The only time we use a computer is to check in and get
boarding passes for our flight home and we use the ships computer to do
that.

I make sure that at least our daughter knows what ship we are on and how
to reach us in an emergency. When my mother was still alive and elderly,
I made sure she knew to call her grandaughter in case of any problems
and my daughter also would call to check up on her.

The only time I checked email on a daily basis was when our son-in-law
was in the resevers and it looked like he would be called to active duty.

Our cruises are our time to rest, relax and get away from real life!!

sue
Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Sue Mullen
wrote:

Harry, when we cruise we leave our computers at home and our cell phones
are turned off. The only time we use a computer is to check in and get
boarding passes for our flight home and we use the ships computer to do
that.

Most people don't take their computer and do just that. They use the
ships computer for light e-mail.

I do take my computer because I enjoy some internet connection to the
world. I don't use it on a cruise for any work purpose. My next cruise
though I won't take it. Instead I will have my iPad.

--
Charles
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Sun, 23 May 2010 18:50:12 -0400, Sue Mullen
wrote:
Seehorse Video wrote:
"Surfer E2468" wrote in message
Would not have to worry about a computer,never take one on a cruise or
other vacation,leave all my cares at home

cruise lover(~~~~

Can you even take webTV with you? Never seen one of those, but would
it work on the ship?

But, Surfer, have all your cares left you alone? Or are people depending
on you? Do you want to be unnecessary? Are you walking a dangerous line?

Harry, when we cruise we leave our computers at home and our cell phones
are turned off. The only time we use a computer is to check in and get
boarding passes for our flight home and we use the ships computer to do
that.

Our cell phones are off anyway except when making a call. It hasn't
been so long since Bob actually HAD a cell phone. He suddenly
realized that if something happened while he was down working on the
boat, that he would have no way to let anyone know. But he leaves it
OFF in the truck. We have old cell phones (not the newest ones) and
we don't text or twitter or take photos with them - we just use them
to make long distance calls.

We still have a land line and if we aren't home, then people will just
have to wait to get in touch. I usually turn off the answering
machine ability to take a message when we go on cruise - my outgoing
message says something like - If you want to get in touch please
email. (without giving my email address - if you have something
important to say and are not just a telemarketer, you will know my
email. If you don't know my email then you probably have nothing to
say that I need to know. If my house is on fire, call the fire
department - I couldn't do anything about it from the ship anyway)

I make sure that at least our daughter knows what ship we are on and how
to reach us in an emergency. When my mother was still alive and elderly,
I made sure she knew to call her grandaughter in case of any problems
and my daughter also would call to check up on her.

When we retired and started cruising on our own boat (we went south in
the ICW in the winter and stayed in FL or the Bahamas and then came
back in the spring), I would send email reports to my elderly mother
and my children. Each night, I called one of the children (usually
my son who lives in Charleston SC area) and told him where we were and
where we expected to go the next day. He kept track on a map. He had
a description of our boat and he was expected to call the Coast Guard
if we were long overdue with the next night's call and report the
problem. In the boating world this is called filing a float plan.

One of the things that a cruise ship does for us is to remove the
responsibility for filing a float plan and doing the navigation of the
ship.

We do usually leave the keys to the house with a neighbor.

The only time I checked email on a daily basis was when our son-in-law
was in the resevers and it looked like he would be called to active duty.

Our cruises are our time to rest, relax and get away from real life!!

I am retired so I like my real life and don't need to escape from it.
I regard a cruise as being as much 'real life' as anything else that I
do.

Old May 24th, 2010, 06:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

wrote:
Seehorse Video wrote:
[...]

My aunt went on a vacation to Hawaii. This is something she had
wanted to do her whole life. A couple of days before she was to get
home my grandmother died an of course her sister called and she flew
back 2 days early. I've left strict instructions NOT to interrupt
someone's vacation like that if I die while they are away. Put me on
ice for a couple of days and then send me to the incinerator when they
get home.
Thumper
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Mon, 24 May 2010 13:50:24 -0400, Thumper
wrote:

My aunt went on a vacation to Hawaii. This is something she had
wanted to do her whole life. A couple of days before she was to get
home my grandmother died an of course her sister called and she flew
back 2 days early. I've left strict instructions NOT to interrupt
someone's vacation like that if I die while they are away. Put me on
ice for a couple of days and then send me to the incinerator when they
get home.
Thumper

My grandfather died while my mother (his daughter) was in Europe with
my dad. She didn't come back. She sent me to represent me at the
funeral with her step mother. She didn't much like her stepmother and
I guess figured that there was nothing more she could do for her dad.

When I had my granddaughter on a cruise, her (other) grandfather died.
My son wasn't going to tell her, but her uncle posted it on Facebook
so she found out. There was no option for her to go home, but I did
give her another $50 worth of computer time so she could communicate
with her friends.

When Bob had a heart attack in the Bahamas, my mother's comment was
that she assumed that it would be her having to get in contact with us
and not the other way around.