New Year's in Bangkok? accomodation?

Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:55 PM
qwerty

Default New Year's in Bangkok? accomodation?

Well, totally unplanned, after a good deal on some plane tickets turned
up - we'll (my girlfriend and myself) be spending 2 weeks in Bangkok.

This will be our first time in Asia and we were wandering if you guys
have any sights in and around Bangkok to recommend that we just
cannot miss? We were thinking of spending some time in Bangkok,
then maybe go south for some more tropical stuff... maybe a bit of
culture in Cambodia? Or some local quick 1-2-3-day tours?

How difficult will it be to find decent accommodation (on a budget)
there between December 22. and January 5th? Any recommendations?
We keep hearing from friends about all of those 10$ 4-star hotels
they were spending their nights in but on the net it seems that its a
completely different story... no such deals there... should we do it
on side? Surely we should at least book something for the first 2
days when we arrive - and after that shop around?

Thanks!

Old November 3rd, 2004, 01:14 AM
PeterL

"qwerty" wrote in message
Well, totally unplanned, after a good deal on some plane tickets turned
up - we'll (my girlfriend and myself) be spending 2 weeks in Bangkok.

This will be our first time in Asia and we were wandering if you guys
have any sights in and around Bangkok to recommend that we just
cannot miss? We were thinking of spending some time in Bangkok,
then maybe go south for some more tropical stuff... maybe a bit of
culture in Cambodia? Or some local quick 1-2-3-day tours?

All in 2 weeks?

How difficult will it be to find decent accommodation (on a budget)
there between December 22. and January 5th? Any recommendations?
We keep hearing from friends about all of those 10$ 4-star hotels
they were spending their nights in but on the net it seems that its a
completely different story... no such deals there...

Probably because you are going during high season.

Old November 3rd, 2004, 02:30 AM
Greg Pankhurst

PeterL wrote:

"qwerty" wrote in message
Well, totally unplanned, after a good deal on some plane tickets turned
up - we'll (my girlfriend and myself) be spending 2 weeks in Bangkok.

This will be our first time in Asia and we were wandering if you guys
have any sights in and around Bangkok to recommend that we just
cannot miss? We were thinking of spending some time in Bangkok,
then maybe go south for some more tropical stuff... maybe a bit of
culture in Cambodia? Or some local quick 1-2-3-day tours?

Cambodia rocks. The Temples of Angkor are some of the coolest things to
see in the whole of Asia. The whole of the world for that matter. IMO of
course.

All in 2 weeks?

Why not ?? Generally I reckon people vastly over-estimate how long it
takes to see places and even so soak up some of the culture. Provided
they've got the cash to move around quickly (i.e. take flights, or
failing that overnight trains rather than buses) I reckon it's very
do-able.

Greg
Old November 3rd, 2004, 05:48 AM
Sandy Cruden

"Greg Pankhurst" wrote
in message
news:1gmofpf.1xe2r9h1te4d8iN%g.pankhurst@spamblock .cfi.unsw.edu.spamblock.au
PeterL wrote:

"qwerty" wrote in message
Well, totally unplanned, after a good deal on some plane tickets

turned
up - we'll (my girlfriend and myself) be spending 2 weeks in

Bangkok.

This will be our first time in Asia and we were wandering if you

guys
have any sights in and around Bangkok to recommend that we just
cannot miss? We were thinking of spending some time in Bangkok,
then maybe go south for some more tropical stuff... maybe a bit of
culture in Cambodia? Or some local quick 1-2-3-day tours?

************************************

In Bangkok:-
The Grand Palace.
Wat Traimit "solid gold Buddha image"
The City pillar shrine
Have a real Thai massage at the pavilion at Wat Pho after seeing the
reclining Buddha there.
Take a long tail boat canal trip on the river.
Cross the river on the shuttle ferry boat to see Wat Arun (Temple of the
Dawn) from the Tha Thien pier (just behind Wat Pho).......2 baht each.
Go to Chinatown at night, eat at one of the food stalls.
Go to The Flower market at Paak khlong Talaad (Wat Pho) (night is best)
Visit Khaaw Saan Rd also preferably at night.
Take a tuk tuk ride.
Take a trip on the sky train
Take a trip on the new Metro underground system.
Go toThe weekend market ( Near Mor Chit station at the end of the skytrain
line)
Have lunch or afternoon tea overlooking the river at The Oriental
Hotel.(pricey)
Visit world famous Patpong night Market.(also a red light area)
Visit the Sukhumvit road district between Soi one and Asoke Road (night is
best again)
Shop at Mah Boon Khrong (MBK) shopping centre.
Go to The Nana Plaza or Soi Cowboy for a look at the night life.
A day trip to the ancient capital of Ayutthaya on the train (90 minutes or
so from BKK).
An overnight trip(preferably) to Kaanchanaburi to see The Bridge on the
River Kwai.
Two nights in Pattaya, lots of your countrymen live there (some say it's
sleazy but it's lively and fun if you're open minded).

Don't go to *ANY* gem shops with a tout......Don't go ANYWHERE with a
tout!!
Any one who tries to befriend you and offers to escort you around is after
one thing ...Your Money!!

Sandy
Huay Khwaang
Bangkok

Old November 3rd, 2004, 07:52 AM
qwerty

All in 2 weeks?

Well, I know its not much but we'll using Bangkok as a base and
just move around on shorth 1-2-3 day trips - I realise we cannot
see it all, but as much as we can. Cambodia I mentioned for the
unmissalbe temple of Angkor of course.

Probably because you are going during high season.

So you think its going to be difficult? Nothing I could try and
reserve in advanced over internet? Doesen't have to be hotels -
could be private apartments or rooms - as long as its cheap(ish),
nice and clean and safe to leave out luggage while we move
around.

Old November 3rd, 2004, 07:55 AM
qwerty

In Bangkok:-
The Grand Palace.

Wow - thanks Sandy, that was quite a list!

BTW any recommendations on budget/nice hotels (or private hotels/
apartments)? Should we do it now or on-site?

Thanks again!