The Hammering You Hear....

Old January 5th, 2005, 10:08 PM
R J Carpenter

Default The Hammering You Hear....

The Hammering You Hear.... is probably Southwest
driving the final nails in US Airways' coffin.

Today WN announced that they would be starting
service to Pittsburgh in May 2005.

Old January 5th, 2005, 10:42 PM
nobody

R J Carpenter wrote:
Today WN announced that they would be starting
service to Pittsburgh in May 2005.

I think that the worse case scenario for US Air will be similar to ATA. US Air
will continue to operate while the process of selling its assets proceeds.

In the end, US Air may be a small airline, or its remains may simply be too
endebted to survive, but the impact on travellers may not be so bad if WN or
Jetblue step in.

Now, watch out if Southwest or Jetblue get US Air to continue to exist with
just its international flights which would be turned into low cost operations
that are fed and feed into the domestic low cost networks. People would detour
via PHL if it meant they saved $100 or more on a transtlantic fare. In fact,
move the flight to Stanstead and hookup with easyjet there and you're have a
very potent "club" of low cost carriers making it really cheap for pax to move
across the pond.
Old January 5th, 2005, 11:05 PM

very potent "club" of low cost carriers making it really cheap for
pax to move
across the pond.

Very true. I'm surprised the low-fare carriers haven't attempted
Transatlantic. I'm also surprised they don't attempt to interline a
little. For example, Canada's Westjet could interline into Southwest's
network and flights from North America could interline into Ryanair in
Dublin.

I'm too lazy to google it up, but could an ETOPS 737 cross the
Atlantic? (I know Air Pacific operates three-sevens from Fiji to
Vancouver via Hawaii.)

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

Old January 5th, 2005, 11:15 PM
JohnT

wrote in message
oups.com...
very potent "club" of low cost carriers making it really cheap for

pax to move
across the pond.

Very true. I'm surprised the low-fare carriers haven't attempted
Transatlantic. I'm also surprised they don't attempt to interline a
little. For example, Canada's Westjet could interline into Southwest's
network and flights from North America could interline into Ryanair in
Dublin.

I'm too lazy to google it up, but could an ETOPS 737 cross the
Atlantic? (I know Air Pacific operates three-sevens from Fiji to
Vancouver via Hawaii.)

Lufthansa have flown Germany - USA for some time on a wet-leased Boeing
business jet (737 family) and, latterly, with an Airbus A319.

Anyone wanting to set up a commercial relationship with Ryanair would,
imo, be certifiable!

JohnTu

Old January 6th, 2005, 10:50 AM
AJC

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:15:20 +0000, Hilary
wrote:

very potent "club" of low cost carriers making it really cheap for

pax to move
across the pond.

Very true. I'm surprised the low-fare carriers haven't attempted
Transatlantic. I'm also surprised they don't attempt to interline a
little. For example, Canada's Westjet could interline into Southwest's
network and flights from North America could interline into Ryanair in
Dublin.

The lowcost carriers don't interline at all - they won't even check
you/your bags through on their own airline's next flight. Each sector is
treated separately, and that's why they're lowcost.

There are some semi-lowcost carriers who operate transatlantic. Air
Transat and Zoom spring to mind. Aer Lingus has also become lowcost in
almost all but name (however it's still trying to keep the market it has,
and *is* checking passengers and bags through to other EI flights).

Hilary

I do think there is still a wolrd of difference between real low-cost
carriers, and what the likes of Aer Lingus, Swiss, and to some extent
KLM and others are doing to reduce costs by reducing service levels to
compete with point to point low cost carriers. As you say they all
maintain the other aspects of full service carriers, and will continue
to do so, their long-haul networks wiould die otherwise. Equally there
is no way true low-cost carriers like Ryanair are going to get
involved in any through-checking, interlining nonsense.