Grocery basket

Old April 1st, 2005, 08:49 PM
John Savage

Default Grocery basket

Icono Clast writes:
There's another, too-obvious-to-have-stated reason: The value of the
US dollar is the most widely known and understood of currencies.

In this global consumer economy of the 21st century, the most widely
understood currency happens to be the Big Mac. I suggest that you
include the price of this basic commodity in your basket.

Old April 1st, 2005, 09:24 PM
Dennis G. Rears

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
Icono Clast writes:
There's another, too-obvious-to-have-stated reason: The value of the
US dollar is the most widely known and understood of currencies.

In this global consumer economy of the 21st century, the most widely
understood currency happens to be the Big Mac. I suggest that you
include the price of this basic commodity in your basket.

The Economist has published this index for years. Subscribers can go to
http://www.economist.com/displaystor...7 %21P%224%0A

for a Dec 2004 update.

dennis

Old April 1st, 2005, 11:03 PM
Alan S

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 19:49:35 GMT, John Savage
wrote:

|Icono Clast writes:
|There's another, too-obvious-to-have-stated reason: The value of the
|US dollar is the most widely known and understood of currencies.
|
|In this global consumer economy of the 21st century, the most widely
|understood currency happens to be the Big Mac. I suggest that you
|include the price of this basic commodity in your basket.

Unfortunately, even that "old" yardstick is now based on false
premises. Big Macs are not the same the world over, according to
McDonald's own nutrition information.

Copied from the post of an Australian friend of mine in
alt.support.diabetes:

"We all thought that basic menu items like burgers were the same world
over. They said the burgers in a US Happy Meal were larger (presumably
cheeseburgers).

Calories US cheeseburger - 310
Calories Oz cheeseburger - 285

Not a huge difference but a difference.

Calories US Big Mac - 560
Calories Oz Big Mac - 480

US small drinks looked similar in size to our medium. Kiddy
Coke in US has a calorie count higher than our small, which
is the size they give with a Happy Meal here.

Calories US smallest Coke - 110
Calories Oz smallest Coke - 100"

Odd that it seems to be roughly a 7:6 ratio.

Maybe we should use the take-away Margherita Pizza? I found them in
every single country I travelled in:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old April 2nd, 2005, 11:31 AM

wrote:

|Icono Clast writes:
|There's another, too-obvious-to-have-stated reason: The value of

the
|US dollar is the most widely known and understood of currencies.
|
|In this global consumer economy of the 21st century, the most widely
|understood currency happens to be the Big Mac. I suggest that you
|include the price of this basic commodity in your basket.

Unfortunately, even that "old" yardstick is now based on false
premises. Big Macs are not the same the world over, according to
McDonald's own nutrition information.

Copied from the post of an Australian friend of mine in
alt.support.diabetes:

"We all thought that basic menu items like burgers were the same

world
over. They said the burgers in a US Happy Meal were larger

(presumably
cheeseburgers).

Calories US cheeseburger - 310
Calories Oz cheeseburger - 285

Not a huge difference but a difference.

Calories US Big Mac - 560
Calories Oz Big Mac - 480

US small drinks looked similar in size to our medium. Kiddy
Coke in US has a calorie count higher than our small, which
is the size they give with a Happy Meal here.

Calories US smallest Coke - 110
Calories Oz smallest Coke - 100"

Odd that it seems to be roughly a 7:6 ratio.

Maybe we should use the take-away Margherita Pizza? I found them in
every single country I travelled in:-)

the difference is I would eat the pizza, but I wouldnt wipe my arse
with a Big Mac.

Old April 2nd, 2005, 11:31 AM

Old April 3rd, 2005, 03:40 AM
quietguy

WHEW!!! I hope all the guys that work at Maccas have the same opinion!

David

Old April 6th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Tim Challenger

On 2 Apr 2005 02:31:30 -0800, wrote:

the difference is I would eat the pizza, but I wouldnt wipe my arse
with a Big Mac.

Those damn soggy gherkins get stick in the crack, eh? I know the problem.
;-)
--
Tim C.