Kangaroo Island

Old February 26th, 2007, 09:44 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Derek F

Default Kangaroo Island

Planning to visit Kangaroo Island on our trip to Australia. Looking at
travel websites it seems to be very over priced for organised tours. Is it
better to book accommodation (not dorms) and get there under our own steam
and find small local island tours.
Derek.

Old February 26th, 2007, 12:49 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
John H

KI is a fairly captive market in reagrds to organised tours.
Nearly All local tours are owned by the same operator who runs the Sealink
Ferry.

About the only way to save would be to get own accomodation booked and then
hire a vehicle on mainland and go over in it on ferry OR hire one on KI.

NOW be warned. The vehicles that are hired on KI are "clapped out bombs"
due to fact that a lot of roads are unsealed and full of corrugations which
give the
suspension hell and they get clapped out.

Some Adelaide rental car companies will not allow their vehicles to be taken
to Kangaroo Island,
so if you hire a vehicle on mainland, ensure that they do indeed allow the
vehicle to be taken to KI.
John H

Old February 26th, 2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Derek F

Monopolies like that seem to happen the world over. Sealink say that they
run coach trips on the island. How do their coaches manage on such roads ?
Derek.

Old February 26th, 2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Julie

The large coach tours don't go down too many unmade roads. They stick to
the bitumen.

If you want to spend more than a day or two there you would need to book a
4x4 adventure type tour that will go to the less commercial places.

We went on a day trip on the ferry and were met by a large bus at the ferry
terminal.

We saw all the usual things that you see in the travel brochures and had
lunch at a place that obviously caters for many buses over a 2 -3 hour lunch
period.

I found this in google

http://www.kangarooislandtours.com.a...FR1hYQodTXe6eQ that
may be more like what you are loooking for,

but I have no idea what it is like but I am sure there would be other
similar type tours. As the previous poster said, it is a captive market and
it won't be cheap.

You have to decide what type of tour you want to do.

Julie

Old February 27th, 2007, 12:16 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Derek F

Thank you. Quote from the Lonely Planet Guide that I got today "Once you are
on K.I. every man and his dog will offer you a guided wildlife tour. However
you can't beat those run by NPWSA.
Derek.

"Derek F" wrote in message
Monopolies like that seem to happen the world over. Sealink say that they
run coach trips on the island. How do their coaches manage on such roads
?
Derek.