Road Trip Boston to Orlando - where to stop

Old January 4th, 2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default Road Trip Boston to Orlando - where to stop

1 week down and maybe 2 weeks back - in February . yeah I know ... if it
snows I'll just stay down south until March - really.

I could spend some time in Philadelphia doing historical stuff. Ben
Franklin, constitution writing timeframe etc. Although I've driven thru,
I never have palyed tourist . Then ... Wash Dc - same thing. Last year
we did coastal NC/SC so maybe Charlotte then ... Savanah ?

On the way back a few days at Disney then .... I'm open for ideas -
about 2-3 weeks . I don't mind driving and COULD go down and back
non-stop , but that's the reason FOR the trip - to get out of Boston in
February. We would like to explore the south a bit and have a few
tourist books but open for ideas.
Especially any smalltown info - such as ... exit xx off Rt 95 there's a
great restaurant ... if you like old cars stop .. here... that type of
thing. Something to break up the ride that I wouldn't find in a AAA
guidebook. We DO like a good breakfast over other meals so any input
there especially appreciated.

OK - 3 weeks round trip - Orlando to Boston - where to visit ?

Old January 4th, 2007, 04:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

I recently drove from DC to Key West. Stayed in Raleigh, Hilton Head,
Orlando and Miami. Booked all the hotels from Hotwire.com and found
excellent deals in all these cities. Average hotel price was $55/ night
which was for Amerinn suites which have two rooms, kitchenettes, and a
good free breakfast. For that price it was basiclly free!

Old January 4th, 2007, 06:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"- Bobb -" wrote:

[...]

What about spending a night or two at one of the turn of the century
inns in Cape May, New Jersey?
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

In article ,

*From:* "- Bobb -"
*Date:* Wed, 3 Jan 2007 21:18:03 -0500

[...]

Savannah definitely; also look at Charleston and at St. Augustine in
northern FL.
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_1_]

- Bobb - wrote:
1 week down and maybe 2 weeks back - in February . yeah I know ... if it
snows I'll just stay down south until March - really.

I could spend some time in Philadelphia doing historical stuff. Ben
Franklin, constitution writing timeframe etc. Although I've driven thru,
I never have palyed tourist . Then ... Wash Dc - same thing. Last year
we did coastal NC/SC so maybe Charlotte then ... Savanah ?

I just did Philly last October. I was pretty disappointed in the
historical "stuff". I'd probably do DC. Gettysburg might be
interesting, although kinda a strange time of year. Savanah would
make a nice break from the drive. Don't think it would deserve
more than a day or so. Great place for dinner though. Ya
kinda blew past Yorktown, which has its own "historical
stuff" as well.

On the way back a few days at Disney then .... I'm open for ideas -
about 2-3 weeks . I don't mind driving and COULD go down and back
non-stop , but that's the reason FOR the trip - to get out of Boston in
February. We would like to explore the south a bit and have a few
tourist books but open for ideas.

Well, if you're in Florida, ya gotta do a beach. Maybe Cocoa
and see the space center? Just north of there outside of
Titusville is the Canaveral National Seashore which has
some interesting areas including some good 'gator viewing.
You could take an airboat ride in East Orange County.
There is the Katie's Landing canoe trips down the Wakiwa
River in Seminole County. Do something weird and
take a tandem skydive in Deland. If it is a pleasant day
you could swing into Blue Springs state park, although
the waters cold in summer so I dunno if you'll like it in
February.

Especially any smalltown info - such as ... exit xx off Rt 95 there's a
great restaurant ... if you like old cars stop .. here... that type of
thing. Something to break up the ride that I wouldn't find in a AAA
guidebook. We DO like a good breakfast over other meals so any input
there especially appreciated.

The path you're driving would lend itself to alot of Civil War
stops. I had a GREAT breakfast in Reading Station in Philly
at the Amish breakfast and lunch counter. Annapolis is a fun
town for me, and you can take some tours of the school. There
is a great, albeit high end, restaurant in Ormond Beach that is
probably the best in Florida (La Crepe en Haut). There's a topless
donut shop just off of I-95 south of Jacksonville.

OK - 3 weeks round trip - Orlando to Boston - where to visit ?

Old January 6th, 2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...

- Bobb - wrote:
1 week down and maybe 2 weeks back - in February . yeah I know ... if
it
snows I'll just stay down south until March - really.

I could spend some time in Philadelphia doing historical stuff. Ben
Franklin, constitution writing timeframe etc. Although I've driven
thru,
I never have palyed tourist . Then ... Wash Dc - same thing. Last
year
we did coastal NC/SC so maybe Charlotte then ... Savannah ?
OK - 3 weeks round trip - Orlando to Boston - where to visit ?

I just did Philly last October. I was pretty disappointed in the
historical "stuff". I'd probably do DC. Gettysburg might be
interesting, although kinda a strange time of year. Savanah would
make a nice break from the drive. Don't think it would deserve
more than a day or so. Great place for dinner though. Ya
kinda blew past Yorktown, which has its own "historical
stuff" as well.

A friend sent me an email saying that philly was boring too
I'm pretty surprised as I thought they'd be a lot of historical stuff to
do.
I DID stop at Gettysburg on the way back last year and liked it.
I've done the coast as far as Charleston but then turned around so would
like to visit Savannah.

On the way back a few days at Disney then .... I'm open for ideas -
about 2-3 weeks . I don't mind driving and COULD go down and back
non-stop , but that's the reason FOR the trip - to get out of Boston
in
February. We would like to explore the south a bit and have a few
tourist books but open for ideas.

Well, if you're in Florida, ya gotta do a beach. Maybe Cocoa
and see the space center? Just north of there outside of
Titusville is the Canaveral National Seashore which has
some interesting areas including some good 'gator viewing.

Did that last year and it was a good take.

You could take an airboat ride in East Orange County.
There is the Katie's Landing canoe trips down the Wakiwa
River in Seminole County. Do something weird and
take a tandem skydive in Deland. If it is a pleasant day
you could swing into Blue Springs state park, although
the waters cold in summer so I dunno if you'll like it in
February.

These are interesting.
Skydiving ... not sure about that but will check it out.

Especially any smalltown info - such as ... exit xx off Rt 95
there's a
great restaurant ... if you like old cars stop .. here... that type
of
thing. Something to break up the ride that I wouldn't find in a AAA
guidebook. We DO like a good breakfast over other meals so any input
there especially appreciated.

The path you're driving would lend itself to alot of Civil War
stops.

I was thinking that too - any place in particular ?

I had a GREAT breakfast in Reading Station in Philly
at the Amish breakfast and lunch counter. Annapolis is a fun
town for me, and you can take some tours of the school. There
is a great, albeit high end, restaurant in Ormond Beach that is
probably the best in Florida (La Crepe en Haut). There's a topless
donut shop just off of I-95 south of Jacksonville.

A topless donut shop - now THAT's something to liven up your morning !
Keep 'em coming.
Thanks

Old January 7th, 2007, 11:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"- Bobb -" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

- Bobb - wrote:
[...]

These kinds of comments are pretty useless without knowing what the
bored visitor actually did. I live near Philly and I spent two years
living in the historic area and I can tell you, one can easily spend a
week or two there and no do the same thing twice. If all one does is
visit the popular historical sites such as the Liberty Bell and
Independence Hall, I can see why one would consider their visit boring.
There's a lot more than those sites to see such as the Ben Franklin
Museum, the Franklin Institute, the Art Museum, the Mutter Museum (if
one has a strong stomach), and tons of other sites, not to mention
visiting Valley Forge National Park.
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
In article ,
"- Bobb -" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

- Bobb - wrote:
[...]

Good - how's the Franklin related stuff ?
In a limited visit (1/2/3 days )- what to definitely see in town ?
I've gone to Philly visitor websites and overwhelemed but the qty of
stuff but I have no idea about the quality of them - that's why I asked
here - thanks.

Old January 8th, 2007, 03:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_1_]

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,
"- Bobb -" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]
I just did Philly last October. I was pretty disappointed in the
historical "stuff".

[snip]

A friend sent me an email saying that philly was boring too
I'm pretty surprised as I thought they'd be a lot of historical stuff to
do.

These kinds of comments are pretty useless without knowing what the
bored visitor actually did. I live near Philly and I spent two years
living in the historic area and I can tell you, one can easily spend a
week or two there and no do the same thing twice. If all one does is
visit the popular historical sites such as the Liberty Bell and
Independence Hall, I can see why one would consider their visit boring.

Yes, this is the basic problem. You need to get past all the
popular
or predictable places before you'll get to much of the more interesting
places.
My comments were definitely related to what has been done with the more
common places. And the Constitution museum was a huge disappointment
for me.

There's a lot more than those sites to see such as the Ben Franklin
Museum, the Franklin Institute, the Art Museum, the Mutter Museum (if
one has a strong stomach), and tons of other sites, not to mention
visiting Valley Forge National Park.

Valley Forge, on a previous visit, was one of the better sites.

Old January 8th, 2007, 03:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_1_]

- Bobb - wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]
The path you're driving would lend itself to alot of Civil War
stops.

I was thinking that too - any place in particular ?

[snip]

Alt.civilwar.somthing-er-another would probably be a better place
to ask. But Gettysburg, Mannassas and Richmond, not to mention
Savannah would probably top a list or two.