New group misc.metric-system (CFV)

Old November 23rd, 2003, 07:44 PM
Markus Kuhn

Default New group misc.metric-system (CFV)

In case you have not already seen it:

We are trying to set up a new newsgroup

misc.metric-system

dedicated to discussions about the metric system and its introduction
in areas where it is not yet widely used.

Related threads have flared up in this group in the past. So if you
are interested in this topic and group, please participate in this
ballot. (At least ~150 votes are necessary before a group has a
realistic chance of being created.)

The second "Call for Votes" with a description of the proposed group
and exact instructions on how to vote has been posted to

news.announce.newgroups

It is also available by simply replying to this message or by sending
email to

and it can be downloaded from the USENET Volunteer Votetakers website
on

http://www.uvv.org/cgi-bin/getmsg/2471

Votes have to be submitted by email, formatted exactly according to
the instructions given in the "Call for Votes". Your vote has been
counted only if you receive a confirmation reply.

The ballot closes 25 November 2003.

Thanks for your time,

Markus

Old November 23rd, 2003, 11:11 PM
Frank X

"Markus Kuhn" wrote in message
In case you have not already seen it:

We are trying to set up a new newsgroup

misc.metric-system

dedicated to discussions about the metric system and its introduction
in areas where it is not yet widely used.

200 years ago this might have been interesting ;o)

Old November 24th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Helmut Wabnig

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:11:31 -0000, "Frank X"
wrote:

"Markus Kuhn" wrote in message
In case you have not already seen it:

We are trying to set up a new newsgroup

misc.metric-system

dedicated to discussions about the metric system and its introduction
in areas where it is not yet widely used.

200 years ago this might have been interesting ;o)

Yep, what is there remaining to be discussed?
The stubborn Americans?
Still measuring distance Earth to Moon with their feet.

w.
Old November 24th, 2003, 04:11 PM
me

(Markus Kuhn) wrote in message ...
In case you have not already seen it:

We are trying to set up a new newsgroup

misc.metric-system

dedicated to discussions about the metric system and its introduction
in areas where it is not yet widely used.

Related threads have flared up in this group in the past. So if you
are interested in this topic and group, please participate in this
ballot. (At least ~150 votes are necessary before a group has a
realistic chance of being created.)

[snip]

Will discussion about how it shouldn't be applied under force of
law be allowed?
Old November 24th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Gene Nygaard

On 24 Nov 2003 07:11:45 -0800, (me) wrote:

(Markus Kuhn) wrote in message ...
In case you have not already seen it:

We are trying to set up a new newsgroup

misc.metric-system

dedicated to discussions about the metric system and its introduction
in areas where it is not yet widely used.

Related threads have flared up in this group in the past. So if you
are interested in this topic and group, please participate in this
ballot. (At least ~150 votes are necessary before a group has a
realistic chance of being created.)

[snip]

Will discussion about how it shouldn't be applied under force of
law be allowed?

Sure. So go vote.

BTW, can you explain to me why we have a "statute" mile? Do you know
what that word means?

How exactly did the imperial gallon replace a dozen or so old gallons
in the 1820s, except for the U.S.A. which kept two of the old ones and
never used that new one? Anything to do with "force of law"?

Should you be free to use imperial fluid ounces for sale of goods in
the United States, deceptively trying to fool people into thinking
they are the larger U.S. fluid ounces? Or does "force of law" have a
legitimate place in our use of measurements?

Should U.S. liquid pints of draught beer be allowed in a British pub,
deceptively trying to fool people into thinking this is a real pint?

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Gene_Nygaard/
Old November 24th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Bob Ward

wrote:

"Markus Kuhn" wrote in message
In case you have not already seen it:

We are trying to set up a new newsgroup

misc.metric-system

dedicated to discussions about the metric system and its introduction
in areas where it is not yet widely used.

200 years ago this might have been interesting ;o)

Yep, what is there remaining to be discussed?
The stubborn Americans?
Still measuring distance Earth to Moon with their feet.

w.

Hey, when YOUR country gets there, you're entitled to measure it
however you prefer. Until then...

Old November 24th, 2003, 11:00 PM
me

Gene Nygaard wrote in message . ..
[...]

Nope, new one just never caught on. We coulda used it but didn't
really have a purpose to.

Should you be free to use imperial fluid ounces for sale of goods in
the United States,

Yes. (properly labeled).

deceptively trying to fool people into thinking
they are the larger U.S. fluid ounces? Or does "force of law" have a
legitimate place in our use of measurements?

No, but deceptive trade practices do.

Should U.S. liquid pints of draught beer be allowed in a British pub,

Yes. (Properly labeled).

deceptively trying to fool people into thinking this is a real pint?
Or does "force of law" have a legitimate place in our use of
measurements?

Deception is already illegal, regardless of the measurement system.
Old November 25th, 2003, 12:10 AM
Gene Nygaard

On 24 Nov 2003 14:00:24 -0800, (me) wrote:

So, did you vote for misc.metric-system, so we can continue this
discussion in a couple of weeks? If not, you don't have much time
left to do so.

Old November 25th, 2003, 04:21 AM
El Senor

"Frank X" wrote:
200 years ago this might have been interesting ;o)

Yup. By now everyone is well aware that the metric system is just a French
communist plot to sap the purity of every man's bodily essence.

-Mike