Carry-on luggage on a flight from Toronto to London (UK)

Old May 28th, 2007, 05:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
Doc[_2_]

Default Carry-on luggage on a flight from Toronto to London (UK)

Hello,

I'm flying from Toronto to London (UK/Great Britian) soon, and I
recall they had a ban on all carry-on items on UK flights sometime
last year, I know they might have lifted it but I just need to be
sure..

Any information on the type of luggage (laptops allowed? ..etc) is
really appreaciated.

Also, is there any similar restrictions on flights **leaving** the UK?

Many thanks..

D.

Old May 28th, 2007, 06:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
John L[_3_]

I'm flying from Toronto to London (UK/Great Britian) soon, and I
recall they had a ban on all carry-on items on UK flights sometime
last year, I know they might have lifted it but I just need to be
sure..

I've flown YYZ-LHR on Air Canada a few times recently. From Canada,
it's the same rules as always, one rollaboard plus a purse or
briefcase. If you have a laptop they want to see it but it's not a
big deal.

Coming back, the UK has an asinine one-bag rule. I have stuffed my
briefcase inside my rollaboard for the security inspection, then taken
it out immediately beyond.

Old May 28th, 2007, 07:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
Graham Harrison[_2_]

"Doc" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello,

I'm flying from Toronto to London (UK/Great Britian) soon, and I
recall they had a ban on all carry-on items on UK flights sometime
last year, I know they might have lifted it but I just need to be
sure..

Any information on the type of luggage (laptops allowed? ..etc) is
really appreaciated.

Also, is there any similar restrictions on flights **leaving** the UK?

Many thanks..

D.

This link http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyo...irportsecurity
tells you what you must do when leaving the UK. That said, some airlines
and/or airports impose additional requirements.

Old May 29th, 2007, 03:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
Doc[_2_]

I'm grateful to everyone who took the time to post their valuable
feedback. That link really helped.

Regards..

Old May 29th, 2007, 10:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
William Black

wrote in message
oups.com...

The downside of course is that the airlines do not seem to have
accepted that they have a responsibility to handle your luggage
without it being delayed, damaged, or stolen.

It's the airports that have a problem.

They pay low wages to people doing had physical work and then look surprised
when the people either don't care about the job or steal.

The easy solution is to pack carefully and make your case difficult or
awkward to steal from.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old May 29th, 2007, 10:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
[email protected]

On 29 mei, 11:02, "William Black" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

The downside of course is that the airlines do not seem to have
accepted that they have a responsibility to handle your luggage
without it being delayed, damaged, or stolen.

It's the airports that have a problem.

They pay low wages to people doing had physical work and then look surprised
when the people either don't care about the job or steal.

The easy solution is to pack carefully and make your case difficult or
awkward to steal from.

It's difficult to make your case thief proof, particularly flying via
the US where they insist you unlock your luggage. I usually use zip-
ties to fasten zips. However, recently my "baggage lost" rate has been
approaching 50%,and my "baggage last off the conveyor belt despite
being marked PRIORITY" rate is damn near 100%. In addition, on my last
trip the b@st@rds put a hole in a tough duffle bag - that must have
taken some effort.

B;

Old May 29th, 2007, 10:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
William Black

oups.com...
wrote in message

[...]

I'm afraid I haven't been to the USA for some years, and everywhere else
they open your luggage in front of you.

I find using 'tie wraps' works but I'm told that a loop of sticky tape works
as well.

All that you need to do is make opening your case look time consuming.

As for lost baggage, why do you think you cases are going missing?

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old May 29th, 2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
John L[_3_]

I'm afraid I haven't been to the USA for some years, and everywhere else
they open your luggage in front of you.

In the US, it varies a lot. In smaller airports they tend to do it
while you watch, in bigger ones it tends to be a big department hidden
away in the back.

Old May 29th, 2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
William Black

"John L" wrote in message
I'm afraid I haven't been to the USA for some years, and everywhere else
they open your luggage in front of you.

In the US, it varies a lot. In smaller airports they tend to do it
while you watch, in bigger ones it tends to be a big department hidden
away in the back.

Everywhere else in the world they open your bag in front of you.

In India they actually put the bag through the big X-ray scanner right in
front of you before you get to the check-in desk and if they want to open it
up you have to open it for them...

--
William Black

Time for tea.