Carry-on luggage on a flight from Toronto to London (UK)

Old May 29th, 2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
B Vaughan

Default Carry-on luggage on a flight from Toronto to London (UK)

On 29 May 2007 02:07:10 -0700, wrote:

It's difficult to make your case thief proof, particularly flying via
the US where they insist you unlock your luggage. I usually use zip-
ties to fasten zips. However, recently my "baggage lost" rate has been
approaching 50%,and my "baggage last off the conveyor belt despite
being marked PRIORITY" rate is damn near 100%. In addition, on my last
trip the b@st@rds put a hole in a tough duffle bag - that must have
taken some effort.

When you say "baggage lost", do you mean permanently lost? I've never
had a bag permanently lost; at worst it's been delivered to me after a
day, maximum two days.

My daughter once had a bag misplaced for over a month, but it was in
very unusual circumstances, when severe winter storms had caused her
to miss several flights and get passed around various carriers.
Probably there was a mountain of luggage to reroute in the days after
the storms. Alitalia was involved, but the fault may not have been
theirs.

I had a colleague who lost a bag when travelling to China. That bag
turned up after 6 months. Those are the closest to permanently lost
bags that I have personal knowledge of.

I have also never had anything stolen from a bag. I deliberately
choose cheap down-market luggage, and I have never locked a bag since
an early experience of losing the key. I also tend not to carry things
that would cause distress if permanently lost.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
Frank F. Matthews

William Black wrote:

"Mister Bartlett" wrote in message

B Vaughan wrote:

On 29 May 2007 02:07:10 -0700, wrote:

It's difficult to make your case thief proof, particularly flying via
the US where they insist you unlock your luggage. I usually use zip-
ties to fasten zips. However, recently my "baggage lost" rate has been
approaching 50%,and my "baggage last off the conveyor belt despite
being marked PRIORITY" rate is damn near 100%. In addition, on my last
trip the b@st@rds put a hole in a tough duffle bag - that must have
taken some effort.

When you say "baggage lost", do you mean permanently lost? I've never
had a bag permanently lost; at worst it's been delivered to me after a
day, maximum two days.

Yes - I mean delayed. Sometimes that's not a problem, as it means I can
go home with just a light bag and KLM have to deliver my heavy luggage
next day :-) Sometimes it's worse if I end up in a hot place and no way
to change out of sweaty clothes. In fact that's a problem for my
colleagues ... :-)

The airline will give you money to buy clothes if you're on the outward leg.

Perhaps after a couple of days. Unlikely though their coverage limits
won't cover a decent suit.

Old May 29th, 2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
B Vaughan

On Tue, 29 May 2007 15:53:56 -0400, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

The airline will give you money to buy clothes if you're on the outward leg.

Perhaps after a couple of days. Unlikely though their coverage limits
won't cover a decent suit.

My colleague who lost her luggage enroute to a conference in China
wasn't able to find clothing to fit her there. (She is tall and has
big feet by Chinese standards.) She ended up wearing something that
looked like men's cotton pajamas and men's cloth shoes for the
conference.
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on Tue, 29 May 2007 21:07:45 +0200, B
has scripted:

I have also never had anything stolen from a bag. I deliberately
choose cheap down-market luggage, and I have never locked a bag since
an early experience of losing the key. I also tend not to carry things
that would cause distress if permanently lost.

That's about all any fresh traveller needs to know.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
NotABushSupporter

Jim Davis wrote:

I'm heading to Halifax, NS next week. If I make the 20 min.
connection in Newark, I'm expecting my luggage to come in about 6
hours later. Happens to me every time. My last luggage delay was 2
weeks ago, going through ORD. I guess them baggage handlers like you
better.

I doubt a 20 minute connection at EWR is legal, so you have yourself to
blame if the luggage doesn't make it.
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
Philip Hazel

In article .com,
Jim Davis writes:

Just remember, If you have to run to make a connection, you're lugage
will not make it.

Not always true. Two years ago I flew Qantas to Auckland via Sydney,
with a 1-hour connection. Incoming flight was 20 mins late landing; we
were kept on the plane for an extra 10 minutes while an ill passenger
was checked out; I ran through the terminal, fretted through security,
arrived at the gate as they were boarding; 30 minutes after touchdown I
was seated in the next plane. Lo and behold, my bag made it.

--
Philip Hazel
University Computing Service, Cambridge, England.
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
Rog'

"Philip Hazel" wrote:
Jim Davis writes:
Just remember, If you have to run to make a connection,
you're lugage will not make it.

Not always true... 30 minutes after touchdown I was seated
in the next plane. Lo and behold, my bag made it.

My missed luggage has occurred more on several-hour long
connections than on super-short ones, leading me to believe
that the latter get extra attention and the former sometimes not
so much. =R=

Old May 30th, 2007, 05:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
B Vaughan

On 30 May 2007 08:47:21 GMT, (Philip Hazel) wrote:

In article .com,
Jim Davis writes:

Just remember, If you have to run to make a connection, you're lugage
will not make it.

Not always true. Two years ago I flew Qantas to Auckland via Sydney,
with a 1-hour connection. Incoming flight was 20 mins late landing; we
were kept on the plane for an extra 10 minutes while an ill passenger
was checked out; I ran through the terminal, fretted through security,
arrived at the gate as they were boarding; 30 minutes after touchdown I
was seated in the next plane. Lo and behold, my bag made it.

I just remembered my best luggage story.

I used to go fairly often to China for work, and at least four times I
experienced long delays due to "fog" at the Beijing airport. The
airport apparently wasn't equipped for landing in dense fog, and the
fog was always aggravated by Beijing's rampant smog.

Once I was travelling with a colleague and we were delayed for over 24
hours on our return home. We weren't told of the delay until we had
already checked our luggage, but we were able to retrieve it. We were
put up in a hotel in Beijing and returned to the airport the next day,
only to find outbound flights still delayed. Our original flight had a
connection in Tokyo, which was the last New York-bound flight of the
day. It looked as though we weren't going to make that connection, so
we just checked our baggage through to Tokyo.

When we finally took off, we were about 26 hours late, and it seemed
as though we were going to end up stuck in Tokyo. However, when we got
to Tokyo, there was 30 minutes to make a connection with the flight we
should have taken the day before. We asked an airport employee if
there was any chance to catch the onward flight. She immediately
telephoned the airline and told them the situation and they said they
would hold the flight for us if we could get there immediately.
However, our luggage was checked only as far as Tokyo. The Japanese
airport employee offered to pick up our luggage for us and send it on
the next day. We really wanted to get home, so we gave her our baggage
claim checks and ran to catch the flight.

We were resigned to never seeing our luggage again, not because we
didn't trust the person who had helped us, but it just seemed a
situation that could go wrong in many ways, and she had no way to
contact us if there had been a problem. However, the bags were
delivered to the university the next day. Then we were sorry we didn't
have any way to contact that helpful person, who wasn't even
affiliated with our airline (Northwest), but just someone who offered
to help two strangers.

My husband and I recently had just the opposite kind of experience in
Mexico City. I reported it on this group, I think; it was the worst
service I've ever experienced in over 20 years of travelling on four
continents.
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
AlmostBob

Mate, thats Qantas, Aussies mate

No we don't drink Fosters, we only export it

--
If at first you dont succeed
try try try again

_