Pike's Peak

Old February 29th, 2008, 08:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Judy Heuman

Default Pike's Peak

We will be going to Pike's Peak this summer. Looking over the web
site, I'd like to know if anyone has been there, is it more
interesting to drive up to the summit or take the cog railway? Is it
a difficult drive? Is it hard to breath at the summit? (We're in
reasonably good health, but both of us are 65 years old.)

Thanks.

Judy

Judy Heuman
Old February 29th, 2008, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_2_]

"Judy Heuman" wrote in message
We will be going to Pike's Peak this summer. Looking over the web
site, I'd like to know if anyone has been there, is it more
interesting to drive up to the summit or take the cog railway? Is it
a difficult drive? Is it hard to breath at the summit? (We're in
reasonably good health, but both of us are 65 years old.)

Thanks.

Judy

Judy Heuman

It's not a difficult drive although some of it is dirt. However, on the
descent you are stopped at the half way station and they check the
temperature of your brakes. When I was there I saw one car arrive with
glowing red brakes - they hardly needed to actually put a thermometer near
the pads it was obvious that the brakes were on the verge of failing. If
your brakes exceed a certain temperature they "suggest" you take a rest to
allow them to cool. Easy to avoid, simply select a lower gear and let the
engine slow you down.

I'm mildly asthmatic and found no problem breathing - I was probably 50 at
the time.

I never took the train to my chagrin.

Old February 29th, 2008, 09:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Tom J

Judy Heuman wrote:
We will be going to Pike's Peak this summer. Looking over the web
site, I'd like to know if anyone has been there, is it more
interesting to drive up to the summit or take the cog railway? Is
it
a difficult drive? Is it hard to breath at the summit? (We're in
reasonably good health, but both of us are 65 years old.)

I was there when 68 driving to the top and there when 72 taking the
rail to the top. They are different and well worth the trip either
way. Pike's Peak is nowhere near the highest road you can/will drive
in the Rockies, it's just private. Be aware of weather conditions no
matter the way you go, because there can be white-out conditions at
the top any time of year. As already noted, use low gears instead of
brakes descending by vehicle because it's a constant grade and failed
brakes are common. If you reach the check point with hot brakes, you
will not proceed until the brakes have cooled and been inspected.

Tom J

Old February 29th, 2008, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Runge11

Take the railway!
You can breathe easily at the top, no problem
A nice trip up

Old March 1st, 2008, 12:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Tom J.:
Pike's Peak is nowhere near the highest road you can/will drive
in the Rockies ...

No, actually, it is. The only higher one is the Mt. Evans road, about
60 miles away. The Pike's Peak road reaches the summit at 14,110 feet;
the summit of Mt. Evans road is 14,260 feet, but the road stops at 14,130.

Really the only way to find out whether you can tolerate these altitudes
is to try it -- and be prepared to go back down if you have trouble.
Certainly you will tire more easily from small exertions than at low
elevations. Some people have headaches and other symptoms.

And the tricky thing is that altitude can also impair people's judgement,
like being somewhat drunk, without the person realizing it. I've felt
this a bit myself at around 12,000 feet, and different people react
differently. So if two of you are traveling together, you need to keep
an eye on each other's mental functions as well as how you're feeling --
and agree in advance that if either one of you says to go back down, you
will.
--
Mark Brader "He added a 3-point lead" is pronounced
Toronto differently in Snooker than in Typography...

Old March 1st, 2008, 01:00 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

*Is it hard to breath at the summit? (We're in
reasonably good health, but both of us are 65 years old.)

They recommend that you don't go to the summit it if you have cardiac
or respiratory problems. If you're in good health you shouldn't have
any problems but you'll notice that you get out of breath must faster.
And as Mark mentioned, watch out for any symptoms.
Old March 1st, 2008, 01:20 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article ,
Mark Brader wrote:
And the tricky thing is that altitude can also impair people's judgement,
like being somewhat drunk, without the person realizing it. I've felt
this a bit myself at around 12,000 feet, and different people react
differently. So if two of you are traveling together, you need to keep
an eye on each other's mental functions as well as how you're feeling --
and agree in advance that if either one of you says to go back down, you
will.

Yeah, man, I was on top of the highest point in Yosemite with 4 other
netters. I gave them a tallying task in little notebooks. None of them
could reach 100. I had to redo their work myself (no problems).
Give yourself sustained math and logic problems and see how do you.
Can be quite amusing.

Old March 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Judy Heuman

Easy to avoid, simply select a lower gear and let the
engine slow you down.

I'm mildly asthmatic and found no problem breathing - I was probably 50 at
the time.

I never took the train to my chagrin.

Thanks to everyone who replied to me about Pike's Peak! We have
decided to drive -- my husband thinks it should be fun and I think it
means if we do develop any bad symptoms from the elevation, we can
easily turn around to drive down.

This will be just one day of a two week trip from Toronto to Utah.
I'm sure as time gets closer, I'll have more questions for all of you
who are so knowledgeable.

Judy

Judy Heuman
Old March 1st, 2008, 09:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Tom J

Judy Heuman wrote:
Easy to avoid, simply select a lower gear and let the
engine slow you down.

I'm mildly asthmatic and found no problem breathing - I was
probably
50 at the time.

I never took the train to my chagrin.

Thanks to everyone who replied to me about Pike's Peak! We have
decided to drive -- my husband thinks it should be fun and I think
it
means if we do develop any bad symptoms from the elevation, we can
easily turn around to drive down.

This will be just one day of a two week trip from Toronto to Utah.
I'm sure as time gets closer, I'll have more questions for all of
you
who are so knowledgeable.

Make sure you go up before shopping or you may spend all your time in
the Christmas Store. ;-(
Besides, you'll want to spend money in the huge store at the top!!
OH, and be aware that there is an entrance fee!
Tom J

Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Tom J" wrote in message
Judy Heuman wrote:
[...]

An entrance fee to go into a STORE??? I will NOT be going there, then.