Drive 2 Los Angeles to San Francisco

Old July 13th, 2008, 02:47 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Matt[_5_]

Default Drive 2 Los Angeles to San Francisco

A second part of the trip ...I am looking at doing a tourist from Los
Angeles to San Francisco along the coast.

Would appreciate hearing about good stop spot, places of interest etc,
and how many days one would suggest to allocate.

Thanks
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:47 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Matt" wrote in message
A second part of the trip ...I am looking at doing a tourist from Los
Angeles to San Francisco along the coast.

Would appreciate hearing about good stop spot, places of interest etc,
and how many days one would suggest to allocate.

Thanks

For both questions posted... how much time do you HAVE ?
Do you want to spend the time BETWEEN the 2 spots ?
Or info on LA / SF too ? ( to help responders)

In general, this question is asked every 5-6 days , so if you search here
for San Francisco or Pacific Coast drive, you will find plenty of info. Be
aware of the fires that are in the news - right now is not the time to go.

http://www.byways.org/explore/byways...tinerary/63350
Note- when it summarizes the mileage at the end - it's NOT 14.7 miles
(since one leg of it is 20 miles ! ), it is more like 100 miles.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...ed5f1b0260e51d

my reply to a recent posting:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...9cb686b2?hl=en

http://geocities.com/iconoc/
For SF info

Old July 13th, 2008, 02:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Matt[_5_]

Hi yes, sorry should have included that, maybe 2-3 days on the Northern
leah and a day, maybe 2 on the southern leg.

I did look through the newsgroup but did not see other posts, I'll have
a more concerted search now.

The fires, they are affecting the cost roads?

Old July 13th, 2008, 02:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

A second part of the trip ...I am looking at doing a tourist from *Los
Angeles to San Francisco along the coast.

Some of the typical tourist sights would be (from south to north)
Santa Barbara, Hearst Castle (allow several hours), Big Sur (a 90-mile
stretch of scenic highway which you may have to detour around due to
fires), Carmel-by-the-Sea, the "17-Mile Drive" scenic drive, and
Monterey.

As Bobb mentioned, this is a frequent topic of discussion in this
group, so if you search the old discussions you'll find plenty of
advice.

Be aware that the Big Sur area (approximately the middle portion of
your drive) has been fighting fires and I believe the coastal highway
is currently closed there. I'm sure there's an official California
site that lists current road closures.

how many days

It really depends on how much time you've got. It's about a 9-hour
drive + stops. Two days would be fine if you don't plan on lingering
very long at any one place. Three days would allow for more
sightseeing. Be sure to leave plenty of time for San Francisco
sightseeing.

James

Old July 13th, 2008, 02:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

Just to be clear, in my previous post when I mentioned 2 or 3 days,
that doesn't include the time you'll be spending in LA and San
Francisco. I'd allow 2 days minimum in each of those cities.
Personally I consider San Francisco to be a lot more interesting than
LA.

James
Old July 13th, 2008, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Matt" wrote in message
Hi yes, sorry should have included that, maybe 2-3 days on the Northern
leah and a day, maybe 2 on the southern leg.

I did look through the newsgroup but did not see other posts, I'll have a
more concerted search now.

The fires, they are affecting the cost roads?

Highway one through the Big Sur area has been opened already down to the
Lucia area. It is scheduled to be open today through all its length in Big
Sur, as per

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAH711OCNK.DTL

Old July 13th, 2008, 06:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in message

"Matt" wrote in message
Hi yes, sorry should have included that, maybe 2-3 days on the Northern
leah and a day, maybe 2 on the southern leg.

I did look through the newsgroup but did not see other posts, I'll have a
more concerted search now.

The fires, they are affecting the cost roads?

Highway one through the Big Sur area has been opened already down to the
Lucia area. It is scheduled to be open today through all its length in
Big Sur, as per

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAH711OCNK.DTL

Following up on my own post, I heard on the radio that hwy 1 is now open
through the Big Sur area.

Old July 13th, 2008, 07:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Kirkman[_2_]

It seems to me I heard somewhere that JamesStep wrote in article
:

A second part of the trip ...I am looking at doing a tourist from *Los
Angeles to San Francisco along the coast.

Some of the typical tourist sights would be (from south to north)
Santa Barbara, Hearst Castle (allow several hours), Big Sur (a 90-mile
stretch of scenic highway which you may have to detour around due to
fires), Carmel-by-the-Sea, the "17-Mile Drive" scenic drive, and
Monterey.

As Bobb mentioned, this is a frequent topic of discussion in this
group, so if you search the old discussions you'll find plenty of
advice.

Be aware that the Big Sur area (approximately the middle portion of
your drive) has been fighting fires and I believe the coastal highway
is currently closed there. I'm sure there's an official California
site that lists current road closures.

The media are reporting that the Big Sur portion of the highway is
scheduled to reopen today (Sunday), but keep in mind that the fires
are not yet controlled and adverse weather conditions could close down
the routes in that area again. Except for the open/closed condition,
the same applies to the other major fire farther south at Goleta, near
Santa Barbara. Last minute checking is recommended.
--
Don Kirkman

Old July 15th, 2008, 10:44 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

DRIVING DIRECTIONS to San Diego via the Cabrillo and Pacific Coast
(and other) highways through Pacifica, Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz,
Monterey/Carmel/Pacific Grove, Big Sur, Hearst Castle, San Luís
Obispo, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, and many other towns. Also
directions to Yosemite, Death Valley, and Las Vegas, and comments
about The Devil's Slide: http://geocities.com/touringsfo/Articles/DriveDir.html
It's augmented by reports linked to the TouringSFO site at
http://geocities.com/touringsfo/ entitled "A Trip to Las Vegas…" and
"A Trip to Anaheim…" The A BIT OF NON-GAMBLING LAS VEGAS page is at
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/LasVegas.html
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:02 AM
seetheglobey seetheglobey is offline
Member

When in the Big Sur area , check out Lucia Lodge Restaurant. They have one of the most stunning views you can get while enjoying a relaxing meal. We were pleasantly surprised with this place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt[_5_] View Post