Driving from SF to LA (PCH??)

Old October 29th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Icono Clast

Default Driving from SF to LA (PCH??)

(al) wrote:
I am planning on driving from SF to LA via the PCH

Can't be done! Presuming "PCH" is the Pacific Coast Highway, it's
almost three hudred miles away from San Francisco. The California
Highway designated as "1" is the Cabrillo Highway from here, with a
few interruptions, to Goleta.

The following was written several years ago:
I recommend hitting the Cabrillo Highway (1) from the Junípero
Serra Freeway (280) by taking the Pacifica turnoff. That will
take you over the Devil's Slide, through Half Moon Bay and
directly into Santa Cruz.

There, visit the Boardwalk to ride the Giant Dipper, the roller-
coaster with the best tunnel of any.

Continue in the Bay Area by going through Capitola and Pájaro
Dunes to Monterey, a town with considerable historic interest
and what might be the world's best aquarium. (Monterey Fish House is
an excellent restaurant.)

Pass through Pacific Grove then take the 17-mile Drive to Carmel
and don't overlook a peek at the beach. A visit to Mission Carmel
is well worth your time.

Then comes the glorious Big Sur, La Cuesta Encantada (Hearst),
Morro Bay and the don't-miss Madonna Inn in San Luís Obispo.

Continuing South on Highway 101 to Goleta gets you to the
Pacific Coast Highway (PCH), the Southern portion of Highway 1.

Don't miss the Santa Barbara County Court House, one of the
world's better buildings.

Lotsa nice stuff along the PCH in the Southern part of the world.
I'm sure you'll get some excellent recommendatons.

You probably already know that this is one of the most beautiful
drives it's possible to take in this part of the known universe.
You should have a first-rate camera, excellent lenses, and twice
as much film as you think you'll need.

***

San Francisco-Los Angeles via the Cabrillo and Pacific Coast highways
designated California 1: About 450 miles, twelve hours. A magnificent
trip.

San Francisco-Los Angeles via US Highway 101: About 420 miles, eight
hours. A lovely trip.

San Francisco-Los Angeles via InterState Highway 5: About 400 miles,
six hours. Some claim to do it quicker. I choose to not believe them.
Nuttin' t'see or do.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old October 29th, 2003, 01:47 PM
bbrr

"al" wrote in message
om...
"qwerty" wrote in message

om...
"Carmen L. Abruzzi" wrote in message
in article , al at
wrote on 10/28/03 10:38 AM:

2- I am making the trip in December. What is the weather like? I
hear the fog can be quite bad?

Rain is more likely than fog. If it isn't raining it will likely be

clear
weather. If it is raining, the drive could be rather trecherous. Fog

is
summer thing in this area.

Also note that sections of this road wash out in the winter storms

making it
impassable, sometimes for months.

How do I get details on this before heading out? I would assume if the
roads are washed out it would be posted somewhere.

you can get road status via telephone.

see
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/ :

"When traveling in California and the Reno, Lake Tahoe area, try our toll
free voice activated 800 service, 1-800-427-ROAD (7623). This service is
available free from any touch tone phone, cellular phone or pay phone. All
other areas outside of California you can dial 916-445-7623 to reach the
same service..."

Also, at what level of rain should I consider
another route? I hear the ride is difficult enough,
so I would be under the impression that even a
drizzle would cause quite a delay. Thanks again.

I would drive this portion in rain only under these
conditions: [1] the rain is light enough to have
about a mile of visibility (to see the beauty).
you can make this decision in monterey or
salinas. [2] it is not the first rain of the season
(otherwise the road is slippery). [3] I could drive
early in the morning to avoid most of the traffic.

remember, southbound is the more hazardous
direction because you are on the cliff side of
the road most of the way, and there are often
no guardrails.

Old October 29th, 2003, 03:30 PM
al

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Based on the responses I think it
may be wise to make a few changes. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Rather than go from SF to Hearst (spending the night) and from
Hearst to Santa Barbara the next day I am thinking of the following:
Leave SF in the morning and do the 17 mile drive and then head to Big
Sur and spend the night. From there head over to Hearst castle the
next morning (as I will need a tour) and leave from there and head to
Santa Barbara - which should get me there by the evening. All this on
the PSH/Route 1. However, I am wondering if it best to stay at Big
Sur or another area, or even near Hearst Castle and do the tour in the
AM. Recommendations on any nice hotels at the area would be
appreciated.

"Carmen L. Abruzzi" wrote in message ...
in article , al at
wrote on 10/28/03 10:38 AM:

I am planning on driving from SF to LA via the PCH or possibly the
101, with stops at Hearst castle and Santa Barbara. This is my first
trip to California. I would also like to make a few additional stops
along the way as needed. My questions are as follow, and I would
appreciate any help anyone may be able to offer.
1- is it better to take the 101 or the PCH.

Technically, the coast highway is not the PCH in this area, but lots of
people call it that. Not locals, though.

Be that as it may, Highway One is far more scenic than 101 between Monterey
and San Luis Obispo. A lot slower too.

I hear the 101 is faster
but the PCH is more scenic. Is possible to take the PCH and then cut
over to the 101?

Well, yes and no. Cutting over to 101 after Hearst Castle won't save you
any time, in fact it will probably take longer than continuing down the
coast. The two highways meet up a short distance to the south at SLO, but
this is after the most time cosuming and most scenic part of Hwy One. From
there you can continue on the 101, but you won't save any time.

2- I am making the trip in December. What is the weather like? I
hear the fog can be quite bad?

Rain is more likely than fog. If it isn't raining it will likely be clear
weather. If it is raining, the drive could be rather trecherous. Fog is a
summer thing in this area.

3- I am planning on the ride on Dec 23. Will I hit any holiday
traffic?
4- How long will it take to get to Hearst castle taking the PCH? Then
from Hearst castle to Santa Barbara?

Well, it depends on how long you stop and at how many places. Straight
through, about 5 hours from SF to Hearst Castle. But you will want to allow
several hours to stop and view the scenery along the way. It will get dark
early at that time of year, so you would have to leave SF early to make it
worthwhile to take the coast highway.

From HC to Santa Barbara, another 3 hours. This part you can do more
quickly, as it isn't quite as scenic. It will likely be dark by then
anyway, if you make this trip in one day.

You know that you can't just drive up to Hearst Castle? You have to take an
organized tour, take a bus up from the highway to the Castle itself, and you
may need advance reservations.

5- What other attractions are there to see along the way?

All of Big Sur. See http://jrabold.net/bigsur/ and
http://www.pelicannetwork.net/.

I heard of
the 17 mile drive but am not sure quite what it is?

It's a toll road along the Monterey Peninsula. There is no reason to take
it if you plan to drive down the coast on Hwy One. Stop at Point Lobos for
an hour or so instead.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Old October 29th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Andy Rice

I am planning on leaving SF on the 23rd and either: stopping in Big
Sur and spending the night and continue to Hearst castle the next day
for a tour and on to Santa Barbara by the 24th. Or stoppping in Big
Sur and stating near hearst for the evening and on to Santa Barbara
the next day.

You have planned this well (maybe unintentionally!)
The heaviest traffic should be:
LA - SB on the 24th.
SB - LA on the 27th and 28th.
I used to live in SB.
Old October 29th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Carmen L. Abruzzi

On 10/29/03 7:30 AM, in article
, "al"
wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Based on the responses I think it
may be wise to make a few changes. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Rather than go from SF to Hearst (spending the night) and from
Hearst to Santa Barbara the next day I am thinking of the following:
Leave SF in the morning and do the 17 mile drive and then head to Big
Sur and spend the night. From there head over to Hearst castle the
next morning (as I will need a tour) and leave from there and head to
Santa Barbara - which should get me there by the evening. All this on
the PSH/Route 1. However, I am wondering if it best to stay at Big
Sur or another area, or even near Hearst Castle and do the tour in the
AM. Recommendations on any nice hotels at the area would be
appreciated.

Staying overnight at Big Sur is probably the best idea, as this will give
you more daylight to enjoy the Big Sur scenery. Provided you can get
lodging, there isn't a lot of it in Big Sur. There are several
motels/lodges in the town/village/hamlet of Big Sur itself, these are in the
Big Sur River valley, so they do not overlook the ocean. South of there
there's only a very few resorts, but these do have ocean views. Prices vary
between about $80 to several hundred dollars per night. It will be the off
season, but of course it will be the holidays, so you may need reservations.
There's also plenty of camping, if you're willing to do that. Here's a site
for lodging: http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/lodging.html.

Download the "El Sur Grande" pdf for more information, pics, and a good map
showing the locations of the various lodging choices. Between Andrew Molera
State Park and the Post Ranch Inn, you're in the river valley, otherwise
you'll have ocean views, at least from the highway. After Ragged Point,
you're back down within a few feet of sea level.

There is lodging near Hearst Castle, but you'd have much more time in the
most scenic part of the trip if you stayed in the Big Sur village area on
your first night.

Old October 29th, 2003, 11:05 PM
al

I am a bit confused with the area that is considered Big Sur. Is it
form the Point Sur Lighthouse all the way down to Ragged Point? If so
where is the best area? Also, from the list of hotel/motels/lodges
does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks again.

Old October 30th, 2003, 03:50 AM
bbrr

"al" wrote in message
om...
I am a bit confused with the area that is considered Big Sur. Is it
form the Point Sur Lighthouse all the way down to Ragged Point? If so
where is the best area? Also, from the list of hotel/motels/lodges
does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks again.

yes, the term 'big sur' is used vaguely.

generally speaking, the 'big sur coast' can
be considered as the stretch from carmel
highlands to just south of ragged point.
'big sur' proper is the valley of the big sur river.

there is lodging at several places along the
coast, and in big sur valley. at christmas time
you will need reservations and you need to
do it immediately, as all of these places
fill during the holidays.

I don't have a specific lodging recommendation
for the big sur coast; my knowledge is of the
san simeon / cambria area.

Old October 30th, 2003, 03:58 AM
Carmen L. Abruzzi

On 10/29/03 3:05 PM, in article
, "al"
wrote:

I am a bit confused with the area that is considered Big Sur. Is it
form the Point Sur Lighthouse all the way down to Ragged Point? If so
where is the best area? Also, from the list of hotel/motels/lodges
does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks again.

Well, the whole area from Point Lobos, south to Ragged Point is called Big
Sur, but there's also a sort of village of Big Sur for five or so miles
along the Big Sur River, roughly between Andrew Molera State Park and the
Coast Gallery. This is the heart of Big Sur, where there's a motel or a
restaurant or art gallery or something every few hundred feet. It's not
really a village with streets or a downtown or anything like that. But it's
got the most accommodations, and also both the least and most expensive. I
haven't stayed at any of them (been camping only) so I don't know how they
rate. The Big Sur Lodge is in Pfeiffer-Big Sur State Park, and it seems
decent enough. Between Andrew Molera and Pfeiffer-Big Sur SPs it's all down
in the valley, but south of P-BS the highway climbs backup to cliffside
ocean views, and Nepenthe, Deetjens, Post Ranch Inn and other resorts.

After that the only stores are at Lucia, Gorda, and Ragged Point, there's
also lodging at each of these three. There are some other scattered
resorts, but I think no places open to those without reservations.

Old October 30th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Carmen L. Abruzzi

wrote on 10/28/03 10:38 AM:

Well, yes and no. Cutting over to 101 after Hearst Castle won't save you
any time, in fact it will probably take longer than continuing down the
coast. The two highways meet up a short distance to the south at SLO, but
this is after the most time cosuming and most scenic part of Hwy One. From
there you can continue on the 101, but you won't save any time.

actually, it is much faster to take 101 to hwy 46
at paso robles, then over the mountains to hwy 1,
then back north to the hearst castle. I make this trip
several times a year.

Yes, that would be faster. But if you take 1, there's no way to save time
by cutting over to 101 before San Luis Obispo. By the time you reach Big
Sur, you're pretty committed to continuing south along the coast all the way
to SLO. The only way to get over to 101 north of Hearst Castle is
Nacimiento Road over the mountains, and that isn't going to save you time.
In fact, you'd probably do better to double back from Big Sur to Monterey
and pick up 101 around Salinas. Going from 1 to 46 to 101 south isn't going
to be faster than just continuing on 1 to SLO.

One and 101 share the same route between Santa Cruz and Monterey, then
rejoin at SLO, but there isn't any good way to cut over from one to the
other in between

however, when I have
the time, I prefer taking hwy 1 all the way.

It is much more scenic. How long does it take by each route?

2- I am making the trip in December. What is the weather like? I
hear the fog can be quite bad?

Rain is more likely than fog. If it isn't raining it will likely be clear
weather. If it is raining, the drive could be rather trecherous. Fog is

summer thing in this area.

true, although california is not rainy compared
to germany. unless it is an el nino year.

4- How long will it take to get to Hearst castle taking the PCH? Then
from Hearst castle to Santa Barbara?

Well, it depends on how long you stop and at how many places. Straight
through, about 5 hours from SF to Hearst Castle.

true, assuming no traffic problems between
san francisco and morgan hill. otherwise,
allow for more time.

Old October 30th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Icono Clast

"Carmen L. Abruzzi" wrote:
One and 101 share the same route between Santa Cruz and Monterey, then
rejoin at SLO, but there isn't any good way to cut over from one to the
other in between

That is not the first grossly inaccurante, mis-informative, and just
plain wrong statement that you have made in this thread, Carmen. I
don't know whether you commit such outrages through carelessness or
ignorance but, whichever, you're doing damage to our fellow
travellers. If you can't get it right, don't! Because it's obvious
that you don't know what you think you know, you should either check
your absurd beliefs to see whether they're facts before posting them
or let others accurately answer questions that you have repeatedly
demonstrated that you cannot correctly.

The fact is that California Highway 1 and US Highway 101 separate at
Doyle Drive and Veterans Boulevard (i.e., between the MacArthur Tunnel
and the Golden Gate Bridge Toll Plaza) and do not rejoin until San
Luís Obispo, a separation greater than 230 miles. The Pacific Coast
Highway is about 75 miles farther South, being farther than 300 miles
from San Francisco.

Highways California 1 and US 101 reseparate in Oxnard and would rejoin
around Capistrano Beach were they not absorbed into InterState Highway
5 that takes them to San Ysidro.

How long does it take by each route?

See what I posted to this thread yesterday.
A San Franciscan in 47.335 mile˛ San Francisco