Driving from SF to LA (PCH??)

Old November 3rd, 2003, 07:31 PM
al

Default Driving from SF to LA (PCH??)

I would like to stay on route 1 PCH the entire way if possible.
Considering this would it still be a doable drive (SF-17 Mile Drive,
17 Mile-Big Sur, Big Sur-Hearst Castle)? Also, how long would this
route take as opposed to the route you suggested. Thanks again.

"bbrr" wrote in message ...
"al" wrote in message
om...
I would still like to get an answer to the following questions below
if possible. Additionally, I would like to know if it possible to go
from SF to 17 mile drive then to Big Sur and end the night by staying
near Hearst castle. Seems like there are only small cabins in Big Sur
so I think it is best to stay near Hearst castle and get an early
start, but I am wondering if this is possible and advisable especially
with the distance. Thanks

this is easily possible, as long as your stops along the
way are short. if you travel early on a weekday (work day)
your best route might be to take Hwy 101 to Hwy 92 to Hwy 1
at Half Moon Bay, then Hwy 1 south the rest of the way.
that way you avoid commute traffic around san jose.
and it is a pretty drive.

(al) wrote in message

. com...
Couple of quick questions on the comments on the reply here.

" The ride from Monterey thru Big Sur is twisted, slow, and there are
very few
stopping points, especially for children. "

Is this true? I was under the impression that there were plenty of
stop areas along the way and that the ride from SF to big Sur was
about 4-5 hours

"I do not recall how long the ride from Big Sur to Hearst, (maybe four
hours?)"

I was under the impression that the ride was about 50 miles and
shoule take me about an hour and a half to Hearst and then an
additional three to Santa Barbara

"Skip the 17 mile drive"

Skip it or do it? Everyone says its worth the stop.

Thanks again.

Old November 3rd, 2003, 07:43 PM
Hatunen

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 07:01:35 -0800, "bbrr"
wrote:

"al" wrote in message
. com...
I would still like to get an answer to the following questions below
if possible. Additionally, I would like to know if it possible to go
from SF to 17 mile drive then to Big Sur and end the night by staying
near Hearst castle. Seems like there are only small cabins in Big Sur
so I think it is best to stay near Hearst castle and get an early
start, but I am wondering if this is possible and advisable especially
with the distance. Thanks

this is easily possible, as long as your stops along the
way are short. if you travel early on a weekday (work day)
your best route might be to take Hwy 101 to Hwy 92 to Hwy 1
at Half Moon Bay, then Hwy 1 south the rest of the way.
that way you avoid commute traffic around san jose.
and it is a pretty drive.

I-280 is a much better choice for getting to CA-92 west.
Prettier, too. US-101 is a zoo on a weekday morning, while I-280
is quite a bit better (I drove it every weekday morning for 15
years except for a few times I was foolish enough to try 101)).

CA-92 is a pretty steep winding road for much of the way from
I-280 to HMB. I think the best way to get to HMB is to simply
take CA-1 through Pacifica, since for one thing it's
counter-commute, but be sure the Devils Slide section is
currently open. The distance from Daly City to HMB via CA-1 is
considerably shorter than than the combined 280/92 routing.

Old November 4th, 2003, 03:56 AM
bbrr

the route I suggested removes only about 20
miles from Hwy 1. If you want do it all, drive
toward Pacifica and join Hwy 1 there.

if you can be on the road by 6:00 AM or so,
you should have no trouble arriving at
san simeon/cambria by evening, including
some short stops along the way.

I recommend you stay along moonstone
beach drive near cambria, not at 'san simeon'
which is an uninteresting strip of motels and
eating places.

om...

Old November 4th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Icono Clast

(al) wrote:
I would like to stay on route 1 PCH the entire way if possible.

Can't be done! Presuming "PCH" is the Pacific Coast Highway, it's
almost three hudred miles away from San Francisco. The California
Highway designated as "1" is the Cabrillo Highway from here, with a
few interruptions, to Goleta.

The following was written several years ago:
I recommend hitting the Cabrillo Highway (1) from the Junípero
Serra Freeway (280) by taking the Pacifica turnoff. That will
take you over the Devil's Slide, through Half Moon Bay and
directly into Santa Cruz.

There, visit the Boardwalk to ride the Giant Dipper, the roller-
coaster with the best tunnel of any.

Continue in the Bay Area by going through Capitola and Pájaro
Dunes to Monterey, a town with considerable historic interest
and what might be the world's best aquarium. (Monterey Fish House is
an excellent restaurant.)

Pass through Pacific Grove then take the 17-mile Drive to Carmel
and don't overlook a peek at the beach. A visit to Mission Carmel
is well worth your time.

Then comes the glorious Big Sur, La Cuesta Encantada (Hearst),
Morro Bay and the don't-miss Madonna Inn in San Luís Obispo.

Considering this would it still be a doable drive (SF-17 Mile Drive,
17 Mile-Big Sur, Big Sur-Hearst Castle)? Also, how long would this
route take as opposed to the route you suggested. Thanks again.

Via the Junípero Serra Freeway (280) and Bayshore Highway (101), it's
about 125 miles and 2:15 hours to Carmel from the City Limits. Of
course, this is travelling, not touring. The distance via the Cabrillo
Highway is just about the same but it takes almost an hour longer
exclusive of stops.

"al" wrote:
I would still like to get an answer to the following questions below
if possible. Additionally, I would like to know if it possible to go
from SF to 17 mile drive then to Big Sur and end the night by staying
near Hearst castle.

Yes. Easily. Hit The Road here at 11:30 and get to Cambria before the
sun sets.

Do NOT accept the advice to take the Bayshore, San Mateo-Half Moon
Bay, or Junípero Serra highways any farther than the Pacifica turnoff
in Daly City. It is bad advice UNLESS the Devil's Slide, between
Pacifica and Montara, is closed (as warned by Dave Hatunen). In that
case, take the Junípero Serra to the San Mateo-Half Moon Bay highway
(92) that takes you to, obviously, Half Moon Bay.

Now, please, pay attention to today's answers to your questions:
All of your questions have been answered more than once. Don't ask
them again!
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old November 6th, 2003, 07:20 PM
me

Hatunen wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 11:40:48 -0800, "Carmen L. Abruzzi"
wrote:

[snip]
Here's the Orlando Sentinel calling Highway One from Long Beach to San
Francisco "the Pacific Coast Highway":

http://makeashorterlink.com/?R1FA23766.

Who gives a rat's ass what the orlando Sentinal calls the Pacific
Coast Highway. These are people who go out of their way to
convince visitors that DisneyWorld is in Orlando.

[snip]

Funny you should bring that up. Disney tends to say they
are in Lake Buena Vista, but that'd be a bit like saying
California is in San Francisco. Some of it is in Orange
County, some is in Osceola county. (They pay taxes to both).
Technically, in the spirit of this thread, it's in the Reedy Creek
Improvement District. That's an odd structure somewhere between
a county and a city. They have alot of county like authority
vested in a board of supervisors. ("elect" by the land owners.
guess who owns most of the land). So really, if some says that
WDW is anywhere other than the Reedy Creek Developement District,
they are at best an approximation, and at worst, wrong.
None the less, when giving directions, I tend to tell folks to
go Orlando. They seem to find their way.
Old November 7th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Hatunen

wrote:

[snip]
Here's the Orlando Sentinel calling Highway One from Long Beach to San
Francisco "the Pacific Coast Highway":

http://makeashorterlink.com/?R1FA23766.

Who gives a rat's ass what the orlando Sentinal calls the Pacific
Coast Highway. These are people who go out of their way to
convince visitors that DisneyWorld is in Orlando.

[snip]

Funny you should bring that up. Disney tends to say they
are in Lake Buena Vista, but that'd be a bit like saying
California is in San Francisco. Some of it is in Orange
County, some is in Osceola county. (They pay taxes to both).
Technically, in the spirit of this thread, it's in the Reedy Creek
Improvement District.

My understanding is that DisneyWorld *is* some district, chosen
fo rthe reasons you (and I) give below.

That's an odd structure somewhere between
a county and a city. They have alot of county like authority
vested in a board of supervisors. ("elect" by the land owners.
guess who owns most of the land). So really, if some says that
WDW is anywhere other than the Reedy Creek Developement District,
they are at best an approximation, and at worst, wrong.
None the less, when giving directions, I tend to tell folks to
go Orlando. They seem to find their way.

I hesitate to call such districts "between a county and a city".
Most states give them municipal powers. Lake Havasu City in
Arizona was originally an irrigation district.