US going metric?

Old January 12th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default US going metric?

iaink wrote:
In this hypothetical example, some of the signs across the nation have
been changed to kmh, some are still mph, how fast should you be going?

1. Replace signs only as they wear out, to minimize cost.

2. New signs, for the next 20 years or so, will have both miles and km.

3. The two measurements will always be in the same position and presentation
relative to each other. For instance, km at the top, then miles beneath, 20%
smaller type.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old January 12th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Miguel Cruz

me wrote:
I will admit that the kilometer is probably a more convienent unit than
the mile for a whole variety of reasons. The pound is a nicer size than
the kilogram but even that one is messed up which is why I find myself
buying a quarter pound of stuff all the time.

In European supermarkets, things are quite often priced per 100g - which is
about a quarter pound. So you're not alone.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old January 12th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Miguel Cruz

alohacyberian wrote:
Once again, you live in a climate with a wide range of yearly temperatures,
so I wasn't talking about your climate, I was talking about mine with a range
of 25 degrees Fahrenheit.

But does it actually help you to know that it's going to be 77 instead of
78?

If I were you (living in Hawaii) I'd have thrown the thermometer out and I'd
just be happy I didn't have to think about it!

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old January 12th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Miguel Cruz

Stephen Dailey wrote:
The Seattle Times had a very interesting article on metric measurements a
few weeks ago. After receiving many letters from readers pointing out
the advantages of the metric system, the Times' home improvement reporter
visited a Home Depot near Vancouver (British Columbia, not Washington :-)
) and made a few observations, including:

- Dimensional lumber was sold in US sizes (e.g., 2x4, 4x6)
- He couldn't find a metric tape measure

Interestingly, I have a Stanley dual Imperial/Metric tape measure which I'm
almost certain I bought at Home Depot here in DC.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old January 13th, 2004, 01:26 AM
Carlos Rodriguez

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 01:39:25 +0000, iaink
wrote:

Changing all the signs at once would cost a lot of $$$, and requires a
lot of political will, not to mention the logistical issues, so on a
practical level, road signs would be a big issue. Not that there is a
hope in hell of the US adopting the metric system anyway.

I believe I-19 from 'Tucson to Mexico is the only metric

interstate in the country. All distances and "mileposts" are
metric, so that even the interchange numbers (based on the
"milepost") are the kilometers from the southern end instead of
miles. On the streets and roads that interchange with I-19 the
approach sings are metric, e.g., "I-19 500 meters."

But the speed limit signs are in miles per hour, and I would

expect this to be because the statutory speed limits are in miles
per hour.

I read in the local Tucson paper today that these very signs on the I-19 are
being exchanged today (Jan 12), replacing km with miles... Sigh.

Old January 13th, 2004, 01:29 AM
Carlos Rodriguez

"Alan Pollock" wrote in message
Carlos Rodriguez wrote:

snip

Dumb ideology step aside; Reality coming through. Nex

Hear, hear! I do so wish there'd be more reality coming through. And yet - I
only need to read the morning's paper to be disappointed yet again...

Old January 13th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Carlos Rodriguez

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:17:16 GMT, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

But the US doesn't require a "standard". It is quite legal to use and
write contracts in either metric or traditional units in the US. Now,
the meaning of the units is "standard", but I doubt that is what you mean.

In fact, a private contract could be written requiring the use of

the Potrzebie system of weights and measurements.

Picking up the above thread: it may be legal but not very practical. That's
the whole idea - if the US were metric, it would be *more practical* when
interacting with the rest of the world. But then again, market forces aren't
strong enough to push this concept, it seems. Apparently the costs of
maintaining different systems are less than the - projected - cost of a
switch.

I would like to note that in post-1815 Germany every little principality
used its own weights and measures (and currencies). I understand that, when
the 'Zollverein' unified these, trade took off like you wouldn't believe. I
wonder if there is a calculation trying to work out the cost/benefit of a US
switch.

Old January 13th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Hatunen

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:37:26 -0700, "Carlos Rodriguez"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

But the US doesn't require a "standard". It is quite legal to use and
write contracts in either metric or traditional units in the US. Now,
the meaning of the units is "standard", but I doubt that is what you mean.

In fact, a private contract could be written requiring the use of

the Potrzebie system of weights and measurements.

Picking up the above thread: it may be legal but not very practical. That's
the whole idea - if the US were metric, it would be *more practical* when
interacting with the rest of the world. But then again, market forces aren't
strong enough to push this concept, it seems. Apparently the costs of
maintaining different systems are less than the - projected - cost of a
switch.

Of course market forces are strong enough to do this. That's why
so many American manufacturers produce items to metric standards.
In fact, when I was working as a production engineer at Hughes
Aircraft in Tucson in 1966 I did some work on what we called the
"metric Maverick" missile. Of course, that was because making a
missile to metric standards at that time was a bit unusual.

I would like to note that in post-1815 Germany every little principality
used its own weights and measures (and currencies). I understand that, when
the 'Zollverein' unified these, trade took off like you wouldn't believe. I
wonder if there is a calculation trying to work out the cost/benefit of a US
switch.

Since US companies have already switched when it makes a
difference, no calcs are needed.

Old January 13th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Hatunen

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:26:16 -0700, "Carlos Rodriguez"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I came up I-19 this morning from aobut Km 96 to Km 100 and didn't
see any such changes. In fact, I noticed a metric sign I hadn't
noticed before. But you could be right.